Wiki Posts
Search

LGW Club 777 or LHR First 789?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

LGW Club 777 or LHR First 789?

Afternoon folks!

Interested in people's opinions for the following two options for a 2-4-1 trip to I am planning. Flying to somewhere in the US (subject to availability) then on to Vegas.

I have 2 options. A 777 from Gatwick in Club followed by a non-one world connection which gets me into Vegas on the same day I leave. Or First in 789 to Boston with a stop over there and a connection later the next day. Gives me a day less in Vegas but half a day in Boston!

There are a few external factors but I was hoping for peoples thoughts on how much better a 7ish hour 789 First flight from Heathrow will be compared to a 10ish 777 Club flight from Gatwick.

I am a Gold member so it's new First area of new Gatwick lounge vs Concorde I believe. I have enjoyed the Concorde room before (my wife has not - but will be doing on a separate trip in June)!

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
From LGK I imagine it'd be a Malaysia Airlines 737 then an A380 to Heathrow before a BA connection...

Seriously, if it were me I'd probably go with Boston (and give Vegas a miss though!) not so much for the Concorde Room but for the city of Boston and the F experience on the 789 vs. Club on a 777.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Pyrite
If you're wanting the best LH experience then the 789 from LHR beats the 772 from LGW hands down. We've yet to see the new First lounge at LGW, whatever form it takes, but I'd not expect it to out-do the CCR.
Boston is also a nice place to visit.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
I have done that flight from Boston to Las Vegas. It is not fun.

I would rule out Boston based on that.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MickV
I have done that flight from Boston to Las Vegas. It is not fun.

I would rule out Boston based on that.
Agreed. When attending conferences I've had to do several different internal flights to Vegas. All awful were awful, so the shorter you can do the better
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I didn't know BA flew from Langkawi either, but is there anyway to fly LHR-JFK instead and then get the AA 3 cabin transcend to LAX or SFO with a quick hop to LAS? no excuse not to now that you'll earn the same TPs in business on there as you would on a cBOS-LAS flight that could be great if you get a new aircraft, could be awful if you get an old one.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:50 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
You could do 789 to SJC or AUS or A380 to LAX or SFO.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So your choice is:

1. Gatwick with crap partner lounge, old 777 in Club with a same-day new flight on different ticket which if you miss you'll have to buy again, or

2. Heathrow with Concorde Room, new 789 in First with a nice dinner in more civilised Boston followed by a low-stress flight the next day?

And you really need to ask?

Bet you appreciated all the jokers who were being clever by pointing out that you said you were flying from LGK-Langkawi, Malaysia!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Gatwick with crap partner lounge...
I didn't catch when the OP was planning to go, but aren't there only a few days left of the partner lounge? OP mentioned new First area of new lounge as being something he was considering..

But personally, I'd choose the 789 option too. Easily.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JAXBA

I didn't catch when the OP was planning to go, but aren't there only a few days left of the partner lounge? OP mentioned new First area of new lounge as being something he was considering..

But personally, I'd choose the 789 option too. Easily.
Could be, I suppose, but I think this holds true:

LGW F lounge < LHR CCR

But lounge is the least important consideration I think.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
If you like IFE don't choose Gatwick until their 772's have been refreshed. You'll end up with BA's Old, Old System (AKA Rockwell Collins), which has less choice, washed out colours and an annoying Grid Patten on the screen.

In fact, for day flights I actively avoid any "legacy" 772/744,BA aircraft. I'm not prepared to take the risk of the old system turning up, and would take a stopover / choose AA to get a better system.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses. With regards to possible route changes I am somewhat limited by seat availability as I have absolute fixed dates on which I can travel, hence the options presented being the most viable.

Somewhat embarrassed by my LGK mistake - although I am planning a trip to Malaysia diving next year so perhaps it was on my mind!

I -believe- the new lounge is opening soon in Gatwick South, so that would be nice to experience and our next trip is via CCR for my wife's 30th birthday which would be a nice occasion for her first F trip.

Anyway, I think I'll book via LGW and then use my 24 hour period to mull over the different options.

On behalf of other fellow lurkers, thank you all for a wonderful resource.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
So your choice is:

1. Gatwick with crap partner lounge, old 777 in Club with a same-day new flight on different ticket which if you miss you'll have to buy again, or

2. Heathrow with Concorde Room, new 789 in First with a nice dinner in more civilised Boston followed by a low-stress flight the next day?

And you really need to ask?

Bet you appreciated all the jokers who were being clever by pointing out that you said you were flying from LGK-Langkawi, Malaysia!

Have to say, the 777 I got from LGW recently was in a much, much better condition than the one I got from LHR the month before. Was pleasantly surprised
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Have a great trip OP!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just to underline the point about domestic flights to Vegas....

Many years ago I was headed on UA from LHR-DEN (indirect) in J. We had a bunch of SNAFUs on the way, and ended up - a day late - on the upper deck of a UA 747, I think ORD-DEN. And goodness, wasn't there just a Danny DeVito-lookalike with his 'wife' on his way to Vegas for a few days. And didn't the entire cabin know about it - along with his prowess on a poker table.

For balance, I also recall a very civilised flight into Vegas on AA F, again from ORD, but I'm not for one minute suggesting this is a OW vs *A thing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.