Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

300,000 miles stolen from my Avios BA account

300,000 miles stolen from my Avios BA account

Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Today by chance I looked at my BA Executive account and was shocked to see that about 300,000 Avios points had disappeared.

I noticed that the points had been taken out last week for a stay at a hotel in Hungary.

I notified BA who are now investigating.My account will be blocked.

Has this ever happened to others? I find it pretty scary. Fortunately it was only one week ago. I only check my account about twice a year.
Sorry to hear this hit. It's important to have strong password use habits, and not having those creates risks. Two factor authentication to use accounts is a hassle, but if more companies went this way then there would be fewer people and companies victimized by password misuse.

But if your electronic devices are compromised, kiss goodbye to the effectiveness of even strong password use habits. Two vector authentication is harder to undermine but then the companies have to deal with more customer complaints and inquiries when account access is problematic even for the legitimate account user.

Originally Posted by agehall
Absolutely no need to do that. Just use strong passwords and change them maybe once a year.

I agree. Is there any airline/hotel chain that has done this yet?
Increased frequency of password changes does provide some increased account security.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 18, 2017 at 2:42 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I'd feel that I had been personally violated if that happened to me - I do feel sorry for you.

Increasing password change is all very well - but you are the one that has to remember them. The bank in France decided that I had to change and that was all well and good - my PC remembers them for me (that's probably not safe either - but ultimately what is 100% safe). I, of course, was so used to the old one that after three attempts on another PC, I was locked out. I was most vexed when I realised what I had done.

My passwords are 12 - 15 long and have everything but symbols. I look daily and at the Bank Statements.

Anyhow, that is irrelevant, more to the point what are BA doing about this? Has something been booked and used?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Arrow

Originally Posted by AAtticus
I can't believe BA still haven't implemented two factor authentication yet.
Has any airline? I suspect 95%+ of passengers would not want to use it.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Increased frequency of password changes does provide some increased account security.
The trouble you have is that hackers aren't learning your passwords then hanging around before using the points - as soon as they guess or discover, then they're redeeming for items that can be used quickly (gift vouchers, immediate travel).

Changing your password 2 weeks later will stop them coming back, but normally your account will be cleaned out.

If you're going to make an effort, go for a password manager and a secure, unique password for each site you use (as well as 2 factor where available).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The industry is beginning to disagree with that point of view - essentially where you have mandatory password changes people tend to use simpler passwords and then alter them in a very predictable way after each reset. In the end it's felt that any security benefit gained from having changing passwords is offset by the simplicity / predictability of passwords used.

There's a good blog post about this at https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blog...ssword-changes
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by markle
The industry is beginning to disagree with that point of view - essentially where you have mandatory password changes people tend to use simpler passwords and then alter them in a very predictable way after each reset. In the end it's felt that any security benefit gained from having changing passwords is offset by the simplicity / predictability of passwords used.
That certainly mirrors my experience when using certain sites airline and bank accounts. Every few months I'm forced to change my password so just alternate between the same two all the time. I know it's supposedly for my own good but it's a pain in the backside when you're in a hurry.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:17 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by stifle
United started doing it last year. And I'm glad it has.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I am using a program (1Password in my case), which will generate passwords. These passwords are stored in an encrypted vault with a master password. This vault is synced to a cloud location (like Dropbox) and I have that program on two PCs, my phone and tablet, all setup to sync from the cloud location. On phone and tablet the vault can be unlock with fingerprints, which makes it quick.

These passwords are not guessable and no password is used twice. Have to change password in a browser? Right click the password field and select generate password.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I am using a program (1Password in my case), which will generate passwords.
Will have a look at this, i use similar passwords at times and sometimes the same on different sites.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by stifle
You could imagine limited two-factor being relatively unobtrusive and making sense - e.g. for redemptions receiving a verification code on your phone that you need to key in.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I am using a program (1Password in my case), which will generate passwords. These passwords are stored in an encrypted vault with a master password. This vault is synced to a cloud location (like Dropbox) and I have that program on two PCs, my phone and tablet, all setup to sync from the cloud location. On phone and tablet the vault can be unlock with fingerprints, which makes it quick.

These passwords are not guessable and no password is used twice. Have to change password in a browser? Right click the password field and select generate password.
LastPass does the same for me. There is a thread on FT here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...passwords.html
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
If there has been no change on the OP's account details to change anything eg email notification, is it possible that this is not a hack but a human error? Otherwise the auto-notification email would have alerted the OP.

Could a person make a telephone booking with BA and the person making it mistype the BAEC number? Or some similar error so that the booking really was for somebody else and the wrong BAEC number has been used - it only requires a single digit error?

No doubt the OP may find out in due course.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Rust
Originally Posted by jordie
Will have a look at this, i use similar passwords at times and sometimes the same on different sites.
I use Lastpass for this. When you sign up it'll retrieve all of your passwords stored in you web browser which will encourage you to change them - the Security Challenge shows you just how bad the passwords you're using are and how many times you've reused them which was a real eye opener for me.
They've even got an app for your phone which if you've got a fingerprint reader is a doddle to use - you just enter your password or fingerprint and it'll fill in your login details into any app or the web browser. I think you need a Premium account to get the phone app but it's only $1 a month. You'll get a month free premium if you sign up through this link - https://lastpass.com/f?15566042
Since using this I've moved all passwords that I can to 15-20 character alphanumeric with symbols so pretty much as secure as you can get.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nei1c
I use Lastpass for this
cheers ill take a look
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Russians at it again....does Trump have a hotel in Hungary?
I'm not sure we can accuse the russians yet. A google search of trump and hungary did produce a link..

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...l-room-w461160

but i'm not for one second suggesting something went on. I think the hungary-trump-russia-avios connection is probably a big coincidence, unless he pays for his stays with avios..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.