Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early check in with Economy friend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Early check in with Economy friend

As a Silver EC member I can check in really early. I've just learnt that a friend of mine will be on the same flight LGW-BGI on Saturday, but she's booked in Economy. Do you think they'll let her check in early with me? That way we'd have longer in the lounge together . . .
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've never done this, and I'm not sure its a documented benefit, but I've definitely seen reference to people doing this successfully.

There's always a slight risk, so perhaps give Economy Friend (love the choice of words) the option.

Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that I'm travelling Club World
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by douglasman
I forgot to mention that I'm travelling Club World
This entitles you to nothing over what being Silver gets you. Which is...officially nothing in this circumstance. Give it a shot and let us know how you get on.

Edit: I seem to recall that the 3-hour limit is enforced at system (i.e. FLY) level, and therefore not really discretionary. So have a go, but I wouldn't go in with any expectations. Perhaps it can be overridden manually, who knows.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Just how many hours do you want to spend in the lounge?

I'd think more than two hours of waiting around for no good reason would get very old.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
What's the point in missing sleep by getting up early just to sit in a room with chairs and a bit of cheap food and drink?

The lounge is there to make the time you are forced to wait a bit less tiresome, not a destination in itself
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: B A Gold
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
What's the point in missing sleep by getting up early just to sit in a room with chairs and a bit of cheap food and drink?

The lounge is there to make the time you are forced to wait a bit less tiresome, not a destination in itself
Sorry, have to disagree. For you perhaps but each to his own. Enjoy my time in Concorde Room, Virgin Clubhouse along with Pier and Wing in HKG. Can spend many hours there people watching.

Each to his own.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
Do you mean check in luggage? You can check in online if carry-on only so you could go through security whenever.
Of course if you checked your friend's luggage in as yours then there wouldn't be a problem with doing that early (assuming the same final destination and sufficient luggage allowance).
Whether you can then answer yes to any questions about being aware of the contents and packing it yourself might be an issue to consider.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, if you check in together. You will also be able to take them through fast track.

I have been the guest and the card holder in this situation and never been an issue.

I disagree with the comment above you don't need to check on their luggage for this to happen.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

I'd think more than two hours of waiting around for no good reason would get very old.

I'm coming in from IoM the night before and staying in the Gatwick Hilton in S.Terminal. Given the choice of sitting in the Hilton and having to pay for my drinks and snacks and being in the lounge I'll go for the latter. Flight doesn't leave till 13.40
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by skrbi
Yes, if you check in together. You will also be able to take them through fast track.

I have been the guest and the card holder in this situation and never been an issue.
Same booking or separate?

Were you/your guest in Y or WT+, and statusless/Bronze?

The whole early check-in thing is quite stringently enforced (unlike priority boarding )

Fast-track is a separate issue entirely: that is a recognised status benefit, with 1 guest allowed.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, IHG One Rewards, Melia Rewards

Originally Posted by ajeleonard

Yes I disagree with both of these replies also. How long people wish to spend in the lounge is up to them. If they are happy then what's the problem? This doesn't answer the question they originally had asked.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
as others have said it's the luggage check-in that will be the main issue - if they are able to over ride the FLY 3 hour restriction for her.

I'm sure your friend loves you dearly but what were her plans for the day? She might not want to spend extra hours and hours with you! Where is she travelling from to get to LGW for example? She practically may not have as long as you available for lounging anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just for interest's sake, how early is luggage checkin normally allowed by BA? In most airports I fly out of, the general rule is four hours, but if the airline counter is open, I suspect it's not really strictly enforced. I can't remember ever really trying earlier than that, though.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:02 pm

Just for interest's sake, how early is luggage checkin normally allowed by BA? In most airports I fly out of, the general rule is four hours, but if the airline counter is open, I suspect it's not really strictly enforced. I can't remember ever really trying earlier than that, though.
At LHR T5:
3 hours for statusless/Blue/Bronze passengers flying WT or WT+
From 0500 (or whenever it is the desks open) for all Silver/Gold/CW/F.
This is strictly enforced.

Outstations - no idea. I suspect for the smaller ones with only 1 or 2 flights a day, it'd be whenever the desk opens. For a larger outstation like JFK, I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.