Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dilemma - cancel unused (last) leg?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Dilemma - cancel unused (last) leg?

Hello

I returned yesterday from London on a US->LHR->US ticket, originally booked as a T fare (WTP). The original fare was about US$950 return.

My original return date was 18Jan which is now 2 days away. When I discovered that I must return early, I called BA and asked how much it would cost to change the ticket. I was prepared to buy a higher fare in this instance, but I was shocked to receive a quote of $1800 to change the return leg - wow!

This of course started me searching for alternatives to BA, and I was amazed to find an Upper Class miles ticket available on Virgin for yesterday, which I grabbed - cost in fees/taxes, about $450.

Now, should I call and cancel the unused BA leg, or just let it drop. I'm not expecting any taxes/fees back, but it seems like a good thing to do. So Question 1: Do I risk being re-priced on my original journey?

Incidentally, the reason for my early return was to provide coverage to my wife who is ill - the person I had covering was forced to return home early because of her own health. So this case does not rise to the level of a medical "emergency" for me or family, so Question 2 is should have mentioned the situation anyway to BA when requesting a price?

Last edited by StingWest; Jan 16, 2017 at 8:24 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:09 am

If the cancellation enables a refund in taxes and fees, do that. If you stand to gain nothing from cancelling just drop it.
If its a family emergency that forces the return, do you have any insurance coverage?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I always call just so that the seat can be released back into the system - there may be someone who needs that seat. It is a good thing to do.

Also, I think you should get airport/government taxes back if you cancel.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

I guess I'm not sure if I would actually get the UK departure tax back for example, or would BA re-price the ticket and worst-case say that I owe them money?

It's not really a family emergency, as mentioned.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by StingWest
I guess I'm not sure if I would actually get the UK departure tax back for example, or would BA re-price the ticket and worst-case say that I owe them money?

It's not really a family emergency, as mentioned.
BA will not reprice anything as you're not changing anything. You'll simply advise them that you're not intending to travel and you're cancelling the ticket. There will be no re-pricing.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've never had to cancel a non-refundable ticket.

Do you get charged for cancelling? I would cancel to get any taxes back.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If the motive is (e.g.) to allow BA to sell your seat to another traveller, then don't bother, BA knew you were going to cancel the return before you did. Their modelling in this area is sharp and makes BA a lot of money (over £300 million in fact).

If the motive is to get a refund on taxes, then give them a call - if it can't be done online - and you may get something back. If you do this once in a while there are no negative ramifications of doing this that I can't think of. Rebooking a ticket is another matter entirely.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the motive is (e.g.) to allow BA to sell your seat to another traveller, then don't bother, BA knew you were going to cancel the return before you did.
Sorry, don't quite understand - how would they possibly know that I'm going to cancel?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Sorry, don't quite understand - how would they possibly know that I'm going to cancel?
A very good handle on how many people will cancel or no-show, even if they don't know which ones. A bit like radioactive decay, if you'll forgive the analogy.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Statistics! You are not the first and you wont be the last.

You are merely a number that allows airlines to oversell seats if demand warrants it.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:37 am

Are taxes reclaimable after a no-show? (As opposed to a cancellation)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Virazuno
Are taxes reclaimable after a no-show? (As opposed to a cancellation)
Almost always not. A few exceptions apply (e.g. late previous flights on the same PNR).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.