Wiki Posts
Search

Epic - buy on board - fail

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Epic - buy on board - fail

I was waiting for my A3 flight to LHR from ATH today (A3 608) and BA was boarding it's LHR flight.

Guess what,

I overheard an epic announcement while I was at the A3 lounge, saying that buy on board was not available on this flight, if you want to eat and drink on this flight please buy something at the airport.

Seriously now, can't get worse than that, I'm never going to fly BA shor/medium haul again, it used to be great, I would even fly BA without status because I used to enjoy the service sol much.

But now it's even worse than easyjet and it's only going down (as everything in this country)

"To fly, to serve"
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by DrHalxx
I was waiting for my A3 flight to LHR from ATH today (A3 608) and BA was boarding it's LHR flight.

Guess what,

I overheard an epic announcement while I was at the A3 lounge, saying that buy on board was not available on this flight, if you want to eat and drink on this flight please buy something at the airport.

Seriously now, can't get worse than that, I'm never going to fly BA shor/medium haul again, it used to be great, I would even fly BA without status because I used to enjoy the service sol much.

But now it's even worse than easyjet and it's only going down (as everything in this country)

"To fly, to serve"
I'm not sure if this is a joke post or not!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Or what the post describes is a joke?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
There were reports on twitter of an Athens flight going out with NO Euro Traveller catering on Friday! I.E. no buy on board, so presumably just potable water....if glasses were loaded...

It's crap. Basically.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don't think this is a BoB issue per se. There have been plenty of BA flights (and indeed all sorts of other airlines even easy jet) flying with no catering having been loaded - whether it's BoB or complimentary catering.

I'm not sure why you think this is a particularly 'epic fail' or why the announcement was also 'epic'.

Of course it's not ideal.

At least they gave people the opportunity to grab something at ATH prior to the flight. Or would you rather the pax found out on board so it would be too late which has also happened.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jan 15, 2017 at 6:30 pm Reason: fixed typo - ATL - ATH!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I don't think this is a BoB issue per se. There have been plenty of BA flights (and indeed all sorts of other airlines even easy jet) flying with no catering having been loaded - whether it's BoB or complimentary catering.

I'm not sure why you think this is a particularly 'epic fail' or why the announcement was also 'epic'.

At least they gave people the opportunity to grab something at ATL prior to the flight. Or would you rather the pax found out on board so it would be too late which has also happened.
Think you mean ATH but yes, to me this strikes as good staff making the best of a bad situation.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:27 pm

At least they gave people the opportunity to grab something at ATL prior to the flight. Or would you rather the pax found out on board so it would be too late which has also happened.
If an entire ATL flight wasn't loaded with any food, I think that'd count as pretty epic
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes I meant ATH !
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Does this need its own thread, can it not go in the BoB experiences thread?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

At least they gave people the opportunity to grab something at ATH prior to the flight. Or would you rather the pax found out on board so it would be too late which has also happened.
I think the op would probably have preferred the catering to have been loaded. I'd say given it's one of the longest European sectors it is an epic fail not least because presumably there are lots of potential sales on a sector of that length!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
There were reports on twitter of an Athens flight going out with NO Euro Traveller catering on Friday! I.E. no buy on board, so presumably just potable water....if glasses were loaded...

It's crap. Basically.
it was more his reaction, description of the 'epic' announcement and need to start a whole new thread.

Its a new service, there's going to be teething issues, could it have been managed better? most likely, it's really quite pathetic the depths people are sinking to try and make out it's the end of the world as we know it?

How many people died on the Athens flight?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I think the op would probably have preferred the catering to have been loaded. I'd say given it's one of the longest European sectors it is an epic fail not least because presumably there are lots of potential sales on a sector of that length!
OP wasn't even flying on the affected flight so it did not affect them.

And yes it would have been preferable to have catering but stuff happens.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meanwhile A3 still serve a hot meal in Y on this route. Why anyone would pick BA in either cabin when you have the immensely superior Aegean option is beyond me.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by DrHalxx
How did you hear this? The only A3 lounge is in the Schengen area at the opposite end of the terminal from where BA flights depart.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Meanwhile A3 still serve a hot meal in Y on this route. Why anyone would pick BA in either cabin when you have the immensely superior Aegean option is beyond me.
King and Marshall must be turning in their graves - A3, TK and even SU each providing a better product against BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.