Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do you miss on BA before it was 'enhanced'?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you miss on BA before it was 'enhanced'?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:02 am

Oh hi. I wanted to join just to post on this thread.

I am, by far, not BAs target audience. I take 2 long haul flights a year. I take roughly one return LHR- europe a month. But where I used to go straight to BA to fly anywhere, now it is rarely the cheapest and if i am going to have a no frills service, i am going to take a low frills airline which gives me the same but costs roughly 20% to 50% less. Or i fly American to the destinations i want to go to long haul.

The list of what BA has lost that has made me not want to pay the extra is not long but enough for me to be a lost customer and i know my friends feel the same.

- Loyalty points- a long haul return would get me enough points to get a one way flight on WT for a euro destination. This was a major perk and the "loyalty" was worth the extra pounds.
- Food- i know there is a whole thread on this but not even getting soft drink for what i am paying? i was disappointed when they took away the food for snacks before but this takes the biscuit, quite literally. when people said they wanted more choice, it was more like the old standard service
- Being able to check in 2 bags- this was a really really long time ago but i def have could before around 2002/2003 when i went to NYC. Now i have to pay an extra £100 for this? and the flights were def way cheaper. i remember paying £250 for a return flight to JFK
- being able to check in a bag for no extra cost for euro destinations- i def am paying the same price i was paying before for the euro destinations despite "hand luggage only" fares being advertised as making it cheaper.
- being able to book my seat 24 hours before a flight for short haul flights. This is a massive pet peeve of mine.
- the free toothbrush/toothpaste on long haul flights- virgin still give away little kits that you only get on world traveler plus now on BA.. which is all fine because you used to be able to request the eye mask and the socks when you got on board. Now there is no toothbrush/toothpaste on world traveler and the cabin crew shrugged and went "oh we got rid of that last month" when i asked about a toothbrush. Um. what?
- Happier cabin crew- They just seem annoyed and pissed off now.
- customer service- are you joking? just look at twitter and see the responses there. They are "sorry. we cant do anymore". Nope. Not at all.

Its a shame. It was an airline that i not only would recommend to both friends and people that listen to my podcast but now i wouldnt do that at all.

Alex Cruz has ruined what used to be a very reputable airline that people would go out of their way to book and how the stockholders cant see this, i have no idea.

/rant
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
The T4 Concorde Room bar (Champagne in particular)
Double shower in T4 ESPA spa
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
- the 747 to Cairo
- full F tier points on fifth freedom flights
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Boeing Fred

Ayling has vanished off the face of the earth.
I miss Ayling. We both share the same surname, but no relation. Could easily get moved forwards a few rows after mentioning "Uncle Bob"
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
concorde
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Hot food on SH... Actually, it was clever to reduce the SH offering to crisps or biscuits first so that the BOB looked like an improvement.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by englisha
Hot food on SH... Actually, it was clever to reduce the SH offering to crisps or biscuits first so that the BOB looked like an improvement.
Not clever for the smart travellers. You think we haven't noticed that was the end game? = )
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Oh hi. I wanted to join just to post on this thread.

I am, by far, not BAs target audience. I take 2 long haul flights a year. I take roughly one return LHR- europe a month. But where I used to go straight to BA to fly anywhere, now it is rarely the cheapest and if i am going to have a no frills service, i am going to take a low frills airline which gives me the same but costs roughly 20% to 50% less. Or i fly American to the destinations i want to go to long haul.

The list of what BA has lost that has made me not want to pay the extra is not long but enough for me to be a lost customer and i know my friends feel the same.

- Loyalty points- a long haul return would get me enough points to get a one way flight on WT for a euro destination. This was a major perk and the "loyalty" was worth the extra pounds.
- Food- i know there is a whole thread on this but not even getting soft drink for what i am paying? i was disappointed when they took away the food for snacks before but this takes the biscuit, quite literally. when people said they wanted more choice, it was more like the old standard service
- Being able to check in 2 bags- this was a really really long time ago but i def have could before around 2002/2003 when i went to NYC. Now i have to pay an extra £100 for this? and the flights were def way cheaper. i remember paying £250 for a return flight to JFK
- being able to check in a bag for no extra cost for euro destinations- i def am paying the same price i was paying before for the euro destinations despite "hand luggage only" fares being advertised as making it cheaper.
- being able to book my seat 24 hours before a flight for short haul flights. This is a massive pet peeve of mine.
- the free toothbrush/toothpaste on long haul flights- virgin still give away little kits that you only get on world traveler plus now on BA.. which is all fine because you used to be able to request the eye mask and the socks when you got on board. Now there is no toothbrush/toothpaste on world traveler and the cabin crew shrugged and went "oh we got rid of that last month" when i asked about a toothbrush. Um. what?
- Happier cabin crew- They just seem annoyed and pissed off now.
- customer service- are you joking? just look at twitter and see the responses there. They are "sorry. we cant do anymore". Nope. Not at all.

Its a shame. It was an airline that i not only would recommend to both friends and people that listen to my podcast but now i wouldnt do that at all.

Alex Cruz has ruined what used to be a very reputable airline that people would go out of their way to book and how the stockholders cant see this, i have no idea.

/rant
Welcome to FT and to the BA Board MiraculousM - great first post!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stu1985
Welcome to FT and to the BA Board MiraculousM - great first post!
And I add my own welcome to MiraculousM as well! Sorry you are joining us as a result of a largely unwelcome change, but hope you'll stay with us and enjoy Flyertalk for many months and years thereafter!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Customer Service.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
Hot meals in CE. As as in-frequent leisure traveller I probably get more of a "buzz" from CE than the folks on here who are in a premium cabin once a month more. The priority check in desks, Fast Track security, lounge access, finding a quiet corner and enjoying champagne & snacks in the lounge (& the odd Tiger beer), relaxing in the lounge until boarding then strolling up to priority boarding, the (usually) attentive service on board, nice meals, regular top ups of champagne..... maybe it's when you fly in a premium cabin for only 1 or 2 return journeys a year you enjoy the experience a touch more.

My last few flights in CE have almost all involved the cold meat platter/salad. These flights have varied in length from LHR > JER through to LHR > HEL. Regardless of flight length the meal is inevitably the same (with one exception when we were served afternoon tea). While pleasant enough the lack of a hot meal takes a small something away from the "premium" experience. I guess for the more seasoned travellers when they start to tot up the "small somethings" they've seen reduced or cut altogether it starts to get disheartening.

I understand it's far more practical on the shortest routes but surely BA can stretch to a hot meal on the 2 hour plus CE routes? A bit more variety of meals would also add to the CE experience.
This is not down to the length of route, but time of flights. Pattern in CE is breakfast, extended breakfast (cold meats), lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Times of each are in sticky. If you aim for lunch or dinner time flights, you will get a hot meal on 2 hour flights. Shorter will be a salad
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:38 am

Leg room at 34 inch on Club Europe seats and 19 inch seat wide. It's unacceptable to have the same seats in Business Class and in Economy Class, the middle seat left empty makes no sense. I like wider seats and with more leg room. I'm not willing to pay the premium for the service offered now on BA!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:55 am

The amuse bouche in First. Small cost, but a nice touch
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC
- windows
- a/c vents over each row
- more than 1 bathroom
- clean seats
but most importantly, happy staff!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by JAXBA
My job
I do miss the JAX line as well. I had the good fortune of calling many times during the Business Opportunity grant program during that time.

And they now seem to have had a full turnover at my local PHX lounge which is unfortunate as I'd known that group for many years. For a while that team had been outsourced but were still working the lounge, but my last few trips have been all new people.

Originally Posted by tom139
Customer Service.
To be fair, by far the worst customer service I've ever had with any product or service was the first time I flew with BA. I won't repeat a post of the experience, but for me it's been much better. Of course having Gold or GGL for several years now makes it much better, as well as a much better understanding of all the things thanks in part to FlyerTalk and a lot more flying experience.

Deteriorating customer service for most BA customers is by design, or a consequence of how BA treat their employees. Because if the service is bad, then people won't mind being served by kiosks and other automation.

As far as what I miss, really it's the loss of people that used to work for BA. Whether it's experienced cabin crew, employees at outstations, or even IT people, the care goes down when the turnover rate is high and employees wonder when they are going to lose their job or be replaced by automation or cheaper labor. This problem is not unique to BA, but has deteriorated rapidly over the past five years.

I find myself being incredibly kind to the staff, and going out of my way to express gratitude, specifically for things that went well. I figure if their employer is not going to treat them well, then at least I can do my part to express my thanks for the fine service they provide. So I guess this perspective is a positive for me (and hopefully the staff) that has come as a result of the rounds of enhancements, and perhaps me becoming kinder as I get older.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.