Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do you miss on BA before it was 'enhanced'?

Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Well a BA flight of mine 'full service' was 60 GBP LHR-ATH in 2009.

Now its 80 GBP with 'no service'. Inflation hasn't been particularly high in the past 7 years either.
Even so, there has been enough inflation that for that reason alone, the Ł60 fare then would be Ł72 now. Rose-tinted retro-spectacles are always dangerous.

What I haven't even started on is the levels of service on BA at the times when the cheapest economy LHR-HKG-LHR fare was the equivalent of over Ł3,000. I can guarantee you that anyone who truly remembers those times would be praising to the rafters the normal BA experience today, with all its faults.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Well a BA flight of mine 'full service' was 60 GBP LHR-ATH in 2009.

Now its 80 GBP with 'no service'. Inflation hasn't been particularly high in the past 7 years either.
Inflation is irrelevant. Inflation arises because the market is willing to pay more - it does not exist in its own right and cannot buck the market.

2009 was in the nadir after the financial crisis of 2008. BA were shedding routes and offering all sorts of incentives to retain business. Between 2007/08 and 2009/10 BA had two-for-one offers, discount codes, generous sales and all manner of other promotions. It needed to do this because the market was reluctant to travel.

Move to today and the market is markedly different. BA is expanding routes, loads and yield are high, the market in air travel is much more buoyant than it was immediately after the financial crisis. The airline market in European short haul is also even more competitive and cut throat, meaning legacy carriers have to be quite ruthless with costs (product mixes) to be competitive and survive.

Have average LCC fares (i.e. widely available/easily bookable, not some very limited supply headline loss leader) fallen, risen or remained the same on the LON-ATH route? I don't know the answer, but I'd bet it isn't fallen.

If prices have in fact risen, this will feed into the overall inflation figures.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:33 am

Boarding the 001 from the frosted glass doors in the corner of the lounge.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Hot Breakfast in Domestic Y
Hot Evening Meal in Domestic Y (Was that just LCY?)
10 TP's / 2000 Avios minimum on SH Y
"Free" Domestic Add-ons on Redemptions
Legroom (especially CE)
Knowing that BA Crew were a "cut-above" their competitors and had T&C's to match.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just had a BA survey land in my inbox "Help us shape the future".

Right, time for some venting...

"The survey will take about 15 minutes to complete."- That is wishful thinking!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Those wire bottle holders with all the bottles of wine when the crew would come round with top ups in CW
CE on an ATR from GCI to LGW!
Concorde
The spiral staircase on the 747 200
The open access cockpit!
(No empty middle seat in CE)!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Pricing is a really important consideration. As a student I paid Ł250 for a MAN-AMS return in 1995. This was booked a few months in advance and my return flight was 4 months later.

I know BA do not fly that route anymore but I doubt any similar fare (for a comparable booking) has been seen on this route in the past 20 years.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Experienced ground handling staff who were in house, motivated and better trained than cheapest bid wins third party temp ground handlers.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Pricing is a really important consideration. As a student I paid Ł250 for a MAN-AMS return in 1995. This was booked a few months in advance and my return flight was 4 months later.

I know BA do not fly that route anymore but I doubt any similar fare (for a comparable booking) has been seen on this route in the past 20 years.
That teminds me of another enhancement
When BA had regional hubs; the lounge used to be fab in MAN
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SQ Silver
Decent hot towels and CC remembering to give them out!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Boeing Fred
As a shareholder and long term (30years) flyer with BA interested to see what others remember and miss.

My job
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:59 pm

Indeed, I miss the JAX call centre. Many, many years of great service to North American customers... I hope you're doing well.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:20 pm

I liked the variously painted tail fin (the ones Mrs Thatcher covered with her hankie). And printed menu cards in Y.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
34" pitch in CE
Hot breakfast on the shuttle.
The shuttle.
757s
Hot evening meal on the shuttle.
Watching Concorde start up from the club lounge in T4 whilst waiting for my flight to the Middle East.....
flights to the regions - Plymouth, Newquay, Guernsey particularly...
Cradle seat on day flight.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
BA having regional ops.

BA aspiring to lead the premium market and distinguish itself on service instead of race to the bottom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.