Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:48 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load
In so far as short-haul sectors (as per your own enquiry) are concerned, it is no longer entirely accurate to describe BA as a “full service carrier”.

Except this is how BA describes itself on BA.com!
The headline on the "About BA" page on BA.com is: "British Airways is a full service global airline, offering year-round low fares with an extensive global route network flying to and from centrally-located airports."

So it is quite reasonable for passengers and the OP to have the expectation of BA being a full service airline! Maybe BA needs to realign its communications to reflect its current strategy and service offerings!
PAL62V and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
NCE lounge only has the huge bottles you can pour glasses from. I’m already on the plane and why are you making excuses for BA? Sure I COULD bring water, but does it not seem ridiculous that a “full service” airline that at least in their own minds, are amongst the world’s best won’t even give coach passenger a glass of water 😂. I’ve never flown EZ or RyanAir but this is the sort of thing i’d expect from them.
This had been done to death many times on here...

argonath likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold

NCE lounge only has the huge bottles you can pour glasses from. I’m already on the plane and why are you making excuses for BA? Sure I COULD bring water, but does it not seem ridiculous that a “full service” airline that at least in their own minds, are amongst the world’s best won’t even give coach passenger a glass of water 😂. I’ve never flown EZ or RyanAir but this is the sort of thing i’d expect from them.
But they will give you a glass of water. It is just that it is tap water, not bottled spring water. What's wrong with tap water? (Honest question - I only really drink tap water unless I'm out and have no choice but to buy bottled, don't see the point of it otherwise.) I am no BA apologist but tap water as the free supply is fine by me.

Lounge tip for next time since you're on the plane: bring an empty refillable bottle and fill it from the big bottles in the lounge. Saves single use plastic waste.
endoman, flygirl68, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
There are so many threads along the same lines on this forum but you can’t have it both ways.

I’m no fan of buy on board either but I am a fan of the fact that BAs fares long and short haul are very competitive these days so I’m definitely prepared to forgo a bottle of water for a fare that’s in line with a low cost carrier. It’s particularly attractive because of BAs Exec Club scheme and the fact that Silver (the first real meaningful level), isn’t all that hard to achieve. If you’d like a more premium experience that includes food and drink then buy Club Europe.
Tobias-UK, rockflyertalk and AJA_ like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Why keep repeating "full service airline" ?

I have a Ł40 return flight to Malaga in spring, for that fare I am more than happy to not have water for a couple of hours, or buy something / take some drink from the lounge !
argonath and Brisbane Road like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by gingerlucy
Lounge tip for next time since you're on the plane: bring an empty refillable bottle and fill it from the big bottles in the lounge. Saves single use plastic waste.
Top tip ^

And to add, in-flight top-ups are available on request
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:23 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Probably because that's how BA describes itself!
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.

with BA, I can’t even tell if you’re joking
Sadly no joke. It always makes me laugh when I fly domestic in the US on AA. As a BA GC holder I get nothing on BA short haul, yet AA give me free food and drink.......a number of people seem to take a beverage and snack to sustain them on the flight from the lounge to 'compensate'.......
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by gms
Definition of 'full service' from Google - A full service airline typically offers passengers in flight entertainment,checked baggage, meals, beverages and comforts such as blankets and pillows in the ticket price. The seats generally have more recline than a low cost carrier as well as more leg room.

So BA is not typical?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

I have a Ł40 return flight to Malaga in spring, for that fare I am more than happy to not have water for a couple of hours, or buy something / take some drink from the lounge !
Obviously only a relatively small percentage of return fares in Y short-haul fall into that sort of price point. But I do endorse your fundamental perspective when it comes to aligning expectation with current reality of onboard ‘service’.

On the matter of non-bottled water available at no charge, the issue I myself have encountered (along perhaps with many other pax) is that of inconsistency : I have, variously, managed to get said free water a) promptly, b) after quite a wait, or c) not at all (when a promise to ‘come back’ to me later is simply forgotten).

Questions have been raised in the past on FT as to the condition of the storage tanks whence the free water comes, but my own internal systems seem to be unaffected thus far by any such consumption !
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
But they will give you a glass of water. It is just that it is tap water, not bottled spring water. What's wrong with tap water? (Honest question - I only really drink tap water unless I'm out and have no choice but to buy bottled, don't see the point of it otherwise.) I am no BA apologist but tap water as the free supply is fine by me.

Nothing wrong with tap water, it's the only water I drink, too. The issue is the quality. The tap water at home (at least here in CPT) is of a high quality and very suitable to drinking, whereas there have been concerns about the cleanliness of on-board water storage tanks for years, if not decades. Personally I'm pretty risk-tolerant and drink the tea/coffee onboard which is made from this water. The only airline I fly regularly that is low-cost and doesn't provide free bottled water is Indigo (6E) in India and they have water jugs on their BoB carts and will pour you a free paper cup of water on request as they pass through (or get you one after service has ended, no questions asked). I don't know what the source of the water in the jugs is, but it tastes fine and I've never notably been sick from it. However in India no one drinks tap water and they might in fact use bottled water for those water jugs... either way it sounds like they handle it better than BA..
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is the same potable water that is used for tea and coffee production (which isn't boiled at 100c obviously).
In fact, none of the water onboard will have been boiled at 100c - more likely to have been boiled at 91.6 degrees centigrade/celsius (or 93.6 degrees on a 787). #physics
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by gms
I don't know how anyone can read about ET and come to the conclusion that BA describes itself as a full service airline in that cabin? If someone has been asleep for the last 2 years and bought a ticket recently without reading about what they're buying (although even during the booking process the need to pay for drinks/meals is highlighted), then I can understand that they're in for a surprise. Otherwise, any reference to 'full service' for ET is unwarranted.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
It's not a full-service airline any more in that sense. Times have moved on and so must our expectations.

I'm not defending BA here, and think that no free refreshments is a mistake, but the reality is thinking that BA is a legacy full-service carrier can only lead to disappointment. Most things have been unbundled and there is much less difference in the base products offered by all airlines compared with the two tier system from some years ago.
even DY gave me a glass of water 😂
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I've long repeated how silly and needlessly aggravating BA's fundamentalist take on BoB is to customers. I'm against BoB in principle for full service airlines, but even if BA wanted to implement it, I do think that free large bottles of still and sparkling water and tea/coffee would make a huge difference in perceptions.

That said, I personally don't understand why we need another thread of that whilst the situation has been what it is for a couple of years now and this is already largely discussed by many of us in the main BoB threads.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.