Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by skipness1E
It's astonishing just how much better the experience is on a short haul flight out of London City. I got all I needed on board, a cup of coffee and a biscuit to refresh me rather than a long wait for a bucket of oversized cafeine which comes with instructions on how to drink that one has to gulp down.
Nothing will change until WW and his Accenture puppet-CEO move on, but there is a case for this and I wonder if Cruz Control's successor might see half decent complimentary catering in short haul as a quick win.
Can you please tweet that you liked the civilized BA Cityflyer economy experience and that you are not looking forward to the M&S menuin 2018 and tag BA. Let's see whet they answer?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948
Can you please tweet that you liked the civilized BA Cityflyer economy experience and that you are not looking forward to the M&S menuin 2018 and tag BA. Let's see whet they answer?
Allow me to have a stab at two possible responses (can’t think which might be closer to the official BA version ......).

A : We’re delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your recent LCY flight. Our exciting M&S menu was introduced at LHR & LGW specifically at the request of our regular customers, and we feel sure you will enjoy the wider range of food & drink options it provides.

B : We’re delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your recent LCY flight. You are one of countless customers to express dismay at our cost-cutting approach to short-haul economy services from LHR & LGW. But one year later, it’s simply too embarrassing for us to return to the more popular facilities previously offered. We appreciate this is not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
So I finally had my first BoB opportunity: BA1440 lunchtime flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh

Full-ish 767 but the strategy is clearly to move as quickly as possible when free. I was in row 12 and nearly missed them and had to call them back to order coffee.

Contactless worked very quickly, no issues. Coffee I can’t judge but the cup is neat.

Trash collection at the same hectic pace so they went straight past me but did collect the cup just before landing.

No crew interaction outside this and makes the CSD’s spiel at the beginning hollow. I understand it’s a huge plane on a very short flight so fine but save your breath then too.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I tried the Tapas selection tray which is a non M&S product and thought it was very good.

The portion may look small but was very filling and it also came with the cocktail sticks so you can share it if need be.

Andriyko likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAS EB Gold
I realise this is a petty issue given how terrible BA are with regard to various fundamental aspects of the passenger experience, but I am going to rant about it anyway: It really irritates me that in Club you are only allowed cheap nasty tomato juice with a token dribble of Worcester sauce, whilst the economy BoB trollies stock cans of delicious Big Tom. A Bloody Mary is the default drink for most frequent flyers, so this is an area BA really ought to get right. I obviously do not care about the money, but I do care about the pathetic penny-pinching mentality that leads me to be charged for a soft drink when my ticket supposedly already includes free drinks. To add insult to injury some crew refuse to serve Big Tom until the economy trolley has completed its initial rounds, which is often an hour into the flight. Rant over.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alate
A Bloody Mary is the default drink for most frequent flyers
I cannot think of anybody in my entourage who regularly drinks Bloody Marys, whether in a plane or on terra firma, so I would suggest to avoid over-generalising, especially as it is hardly crucial to the point you want to make.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NickB
I cannot think of anybody in my entourage who regularly drinks Bloody Marys, whether in a plane or on terra firma, so I would suggest to avoid over-generalising, especially as it is hardly crucial to the point you want to make.
Especially on this sub-forum, where all one sees mentioned is G&T
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:51 pm

“Entourage”... lost in translation?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAS EB Gold
Hmmm apologies in that case these boards are not representive of my personal onboard experiences, where every other glass I see is red (including my own, although typically ‘Virgin’ rather than ‘Bloody’)

I checked Google to make sure I am not going mad, and it appears I am certainly not the only person who has noticed that they are incredibly common in the air...

Representative example:
https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/d...ocktail-study/
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Alate
Hmmm apologies in that case these boards are not representive of my personal onboard experiences, where every other glass I see is red (including my own, although typically ‘Virgin’ rather than ‘Bloody’)

I checked Google to make sure I am not going mad, and it appears I am certainly not the only person who has noticed that they are incredibly common in the air...

Representative example:
https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/d...ocktail-study/
I enjoy a BM in the air. I'm not a fan of Big Tom - it's just too salty for me, tastes chemically and really messes with my palette. I've tried many pre-mixed spiced tomato juices but still prefer the purity of simple tomato juice, lemon, and a dash of Lea and Perrins
orbitmic and Alate like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Common on German flights....
Prospero and Alate like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
“Entourage”... lost in translation?
Indeed. I always thought that it had the same meaning in English and in French and had not realised until you pointed it out that it has a different connotation in English. Thanks for this. ^
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Prospero
I enjoy a BM in the air. I'm not a fan of Big Tom - it's just too salty for me, tastes chemically and really messes with my palette. I've tried many pre-mixed spiced tomato juices but still prefer the purity of simple tomato juice, lemon, and a dash of Lea and Perrins
Same + tabasco and celery salt! I really dislike the pre-mixed stuff. And like NickB, despite my personal taste for it, I'd stay well clear of calling it 'the default drink of most frequent flyers'! I have no idea, but I'd suspect that apart from any other, water, coffee, and Champagne all exceed it in favour, and probably red wine, white wine, and G&T and tea in the UK too.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Hello. I'm new to posting in this forum although I have been reading it for a few months! Love it!

Going back to this topic. As availability seems to be an issue, does anyone know whether BA have plans to introduce food pre-ordering in short haul economy? I recently tried it on Easyjet (because otherwise every time I order a croque monsieur they have ran out), and it is very efficient:
- Availability of your choice is (almost) guaranteed.
- It's cheaper than buying it on the plane: £6 for a hot sandwich + snack + soft drink (or £8 with alcoholic drink).
- We got our food really quick, before they started the trolley service.

If BA has not considered it, I think it really should. I like Easyjet more since they started doing it

PS: Has anyone flown with Titan Airways yet? I have 3 BA flights booked with them (2 in ET, 1 in CE). Do we know how their catering offer is? Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by slayers_88
Hello. I'm new to posting in this forum although I have been reading it for a few months! Love it!

Going back to this topic. As availability seems to be an issue, does anyone know whether BA have plans to introduce food pre-ordering in short haul economy? I recently tried it on Easyjet (because otherwise every time I order a croque monsieur they have ran out), and it is very efficient:
- Availability of your choice is (almost) guaranteed.
- It's cheaper than buying it on the plane: £6 for a hot sandwich + snack + soft drink (or £8 with alcoholic drink).
- We got our food really quick, before they started the trolley service.

If BA has not considered it, I think it really should. I like Easyjet more since they started doing it

PS: Has anyone flown with Titan Airways yet? I have 3 BA flights booked with them (2 in ET, 1 in CE). Do we know how their catering offer is? Thanks!
I've not heard anything about the potential for pre-ordering BOB. In the meantime, if you want a guaranteed snack or drink on the plane I would consider purchasing something from the vendors at the airport, where available. I see a lot of customers boarding with bags from Pret A Manger etc. and they always seem the happiest.....Unfortunately the Company have still not got round to loading sufficient stocks of food and drink onboard, and I have my doubts whether they ever will, especially on the higher demand routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.