Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Skywards
Hi,
Only use BA short haul for leisure flights within Europe and therefore always used my own cash for CE class travel. Not any more.
It used to be the case that the club cabin seat pitch was such that any row was acceptable and provided adequate legroom. Now, with the revised seat pitch I have no chance of getting an acceptable seat within the CE cabin without being gold at any price. Middle seat being vacant is for me is hardly a bonus to me and does not rate as additional space and as a business class cabin has anyone successfully been able to use a laptop even if the seat in front is not reclined?
Therefore, I'm now booking EZ on the basis that if I have to fly in economy class to secure a front row seat, or just an extra legroom seat, at any cost, I don't need to use BA. The premium service I was willing to pay for is not there in the cabin for me at least. I doesn't matter how good the meal is, or the champagne, if there isn't an acceptable seat available at any cost at the time of booking. However, if forced by circumstances to use BA again it will obviously be Y and they won't extract any cash from me for BOB. They'll just have to clear up the mess I leave behind from my take-a-way from Prets.

Last edited by pa31pilot; Jun 19, 2017 at 9:04 am Reason: unfinished
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pa31pilot
Hi,
Only use BA short haul for leisure flights within Europe and therefore always used my own cash for CE class travel. Not any more.
It used to be the case that the club cabin seat pitch was such that any row was acceptable and provided adequate legroom. Now, with the revised seat pitch I have no chance of getting an acceptable seat within the CE cabin without being gold at any price. Middle seat being vacant is for me is hardly a bonus to me and does not rate as additional space and as a business class cabin has anyone successfully been able to use a laptop even if the seat in front is not reclined?
Therefore, I now booking EZ
I thought seat pitch on EZ was 29 inches compared to BA's 30 inches?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Skywards
Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought seat pitch on EZ was 29 inches compared to BA's 30 inches?
Yes you are correct of course but the point is I can book a bulkhead or exit row seat at the time of booking with EZ whereas in CE I can't for ant price. Not being gold
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes you are correct of course but the point is I can book a bulkhead or exit row seat at the time of booking with EZ whereas in CE I can't for ant price. Not being gold
Ah ok, thanks I understand now.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
BA319 CDG-LHR 19 June 2017 16:35-16:40 - A320

No Announcement made for the service (m&s onboard nor payment methods)

Swift service (10min max):
  • Front trolley: sold 2 coffees (2x£2.30) in row 7 (first row of economy) and then a percy pig (£1.85) and a milk chocolate mountain bar (£1.75) -> Total: £8.20
  • Back trolley: sold nothing -> Total:£0.00
  • Grand total: £8.20 (Congratulations)
Passengers either slept or ignored the cabin crew. One passenger handed over an empty brought on borad Sprite can.

As a Gold member there wasn't any interaction with flight attendants. As soon as the 4 passengers have been served, they disappeared in the Galley. I seem to remember having CC coming to me and making sure everything was ok with my flight on board QR and RJ (Again as a BA Gold).

Very boring and soulless flight. For the price the company paid (in excess of £2200 in Economy for CDG-LHR-JNB rtn), I am pissed to be using BA. I haven't used them since January as I switched to AF but I have been forced this time around...

Last edited by BA6948; Jun 20, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by BA6948
One passenger handed over an empty brought on borad Sprite can.
I have (also) noticed an increased amount of rubbish from food and drinks brought onboard.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
A few weeks ago I was travelling back from BDS with my wife (both silver) on an HBO fare.
On-Line check-in is not available at BDS so had to check-in at the airport. We were seated apart in row 25
By the time BoB reached us they had ran out of all food
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:05 am

Had my first experience of BoB a few days ago. It was actually better than I thought it would be. Quite a few sales on my flight and contactless was working effectively. The prices are more reasonable than I thought (although the tea and coffee is a bit steep)

Main issues I saw were a few things had run out by the back (and it took a bit of time to get there), plus the bacon sandwiches that were ordered early were delivered near the end of the flight.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Did LHR-JTR on Sunday on an RFS and agree with the soullessness of it all - After the first service I used to pop down the back for a chat with the CC and pick up a second G&T. Now the combination of additional time taken to get to the back (took at least 20 mins to get to me in 12C even with 7 rows of CE) and the role of the CC as salespeople rather than attendants impacts on how pleasant a short haul (+) flight is.

In fairness the CSM did come around at the start of the flight and proactively offer a glass of fizz to GCHs but he was then serving CE so didn't get a chance to chinwag.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
BA319 CDG-LHR 19 June 2017 16:35-16:40 - A320For the price the company paid (in excess of £2200 in Economy), I am pissed to be using BA. I haven't used them since January as I switched to AF but I have been forced this time around...
PLEASE tell me that there's an extra zero in that price.....!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I hope so. Could have got a private jet for less!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:02 am

BA319 CDG-LHR 19 June 2017 16:35-16:40 - A320

No Announcement made for the service (m&s onboard nor payment methods)

Swift service (10min max):
  • Front trolley: sold 2 coffees (2x£2.30) in row 7 (first row of economy) and then a percy pig (£1.85) and a milk chocolate mountain bar (£1.75) -> Total: £8.20
  • Back trolley: sold nothing -> Total:£0.00
  • Grand total: £8.20 (Congratulations)
Passengers either slept or ignored the cabin crew. One passenger handed over an empty brought on borad Sprite can.

As a Gold member there wasn't any interaction with flight attendants. As soon as the 4 passengers have been served, they disappeared in the Galley. I seem to remember having CC coming to me and making sure everything was ok with my flight on board QR and RJ (Again as a BA Gold).

Very boring and soulless flight. For the price the company paid (in excess of £2200 in Economy), I am pissed to be using BA. I haven't used them since January as I switched to AF but I have been forced this time around...

Or, may I suggest another way of looking at your experience:

Just back from CDG-LHR mid-afternoon flight. Very peaceful with no unnecessary announcements.

Swift service - 10 minutes maximum

Despite being outside normal mealtimes a few people were served quickly and efficiently.

Passengers were relaxed enough to sleep and keep to themselves, as were the cabin crew.

Uneventful and efficient flight, got me to my destination safely and on time.

Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Hi,
Therefore, I'm now booking EZ on the basis that if I have to fly in economy class to secure a front row seat, or just an extra legroom seat, at any cost, I don't need to use BA. The premium service I was willing to pay for is not there in the cabin for me at least. I doesn't matter how good the meal is, or the champagne, if there isn't an acceptable seat available at any cost at the time of booking. However, if forced by circumstances to use BA again it will obviously be Y and they won't extract any cash from me for BOB. They'll just have to clear up the mess I leave behind from my take-a-way from Prets.
Easy seats are slimmer width wise as their aircraft have a wider aisle than BA's
This is good for boarding and moving past the trolley but it does result in less wide seats.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Or, may I suggest another way of looking at your experience:

Just back from CDG-LHR mid-afternoon flight. Very peaceful with no unnecessary announcements.

Swift service - 10 minutes maximum

Despite being outside normal mealtimes a few people were served quickly and efficiently.

Passengers were relaxed enough to sleep and keep to themselves, as were the cabin crew.

Uneventful and efficient flight, got me to my destination safely and on time.

I could care less about welcomes and interaction with the crew -- I think the point is there are pax who like it -- One of the strengths of BA's cabin crew is to personalize the service. It's a point others on here attack when they refer to SQ or EK and QR as being "robotic."

I think the point of the post is that if BA even offered free coffee or tea or an offer of free water, that would give the cabin crew a reason to interact with pax.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
One thing that is a positive is on my almost weekly malaga-london-malaga flights the hen/stag parties seems to have dropped off since BOB and the ones that are still flying are not as drunk noisy.

I also quite like the slurpy coffee and my OH enjoys the peppermint teas..

( EDIT : I think I have turned into my father )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.