Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by UnstableFlyer
My dad arrived in the UK yesterday, sat in row 20. ALL sandwiches, rolls, etc all gone by the time the FA reached him...
Which route? If it was a Band 2 or higher then there's really no excuse for this to happen.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:30 am

Appalling. Absolutely disgusting to deny someone a glass of water when they're sat there with pills in hand. Then to deny an empty cup so another passenger can share theirs. Absolutely appalling.

What a spiteful and petty action. This has annoyed me more then the entire BOB thing.

​​
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by florens
Yeh, no cash accepted. But I usually donate spare change. ^
True! I tend to do this too but it would be a good use if they aren't giving out anything free but water.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
AA does not accept cash either, only credit and debit cards. Perversely AA Eagle only accepts cash.
Ah that must be what I was thinking off. Its been awhile since I've flown AA

Originally Posted by :D!
What exactly do you mean by any currency?? The BoB network covers 16 currencies and how would pricing work exactly? If BA accepted cash it would have to be GBP and EUR only. Why is your change wasted unless you are never going back to that country again?
For that exact reason or because I end up loosing it in the house and can't find it next time I go to that country so its wasted. I don't travel all the time to non-Euro countries so therefore may not go back to a country for a year or so and by that time will have lost track of any money I had from previous trip. Easyjet last time I traveled to a non-Euro country allowed you to pay in GBP, EUR or the country denomination at a given rate so the menu listed GBP & EUR then you asked and they told you the exchange rate they have for the local currency. We did this when we went to Prague I think and the rate was rubbish but it got rid of some of the notes we had left.

Out of those 16 countries I doubt they are all different currencies so it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue as you think and you don't have to follow the daily exchange rate you just have a rate that you do it at to ensure you aren't loosing money that's all. Just think it would be a good way to cash in on this process more as I know for me I'd be put off having to pay on a card and be more likely (especially on the way home) to do if I could use some travel currency up. I'm sure there are people who feel the opposite way but this is just my opinion
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by fife
Appalling. Absolutely disgusting to deny someone a glass of water when they're sat there with pills in hand. Then to deny an empty cup so another passenger can share theirs. Absolutely appalling.

What a spiteful and petty action. This has annoyed me more then the entire BOB thing.

​​
Indeed - what happens next? Someone feels faint and asks for water and is denied.

This shows how poor some cabin crew are.

Dreadful behaviour.

I hope a complaint was made.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Indeed - what happens next? Someone feels faint and asks for water and is denied.

Dreadful behaviour.

Someone gives birth in flight, they find a doctor onboard and then the doc asks for a bottle of vodka to sterilize an instrument, someone will still need to shell out 4.75.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by GentleGiant

Dreadful behaviour.

I suppose we could all send tweets about this story to tie up the BA social media team, ensuring M&S also looped in.
This is, I believe, the lowest point the airline has sunk. It may be that it's simply a combination of circumstances conspiring against the passenger in need. Nonetheless it speaks volumes about the culture that's being created in the company.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Someone gives birth in flight, they find a doctor onboard and then the doc asks for a bottle of vodka to sterilize an instrument, someone will still need to shell out 4.75.
Well that is a strange analogy.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Question. If a 5 star airline starts charging for snacks and meals, does that airline remain a 5 star airline and does it justify their ticket prices which, generally, tend to be higher than low cost budget carriers~?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
There is a report from a customer on twitter that has been asked to ditch his hot coffee before boarding for security reasons. There you go!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
Originally Posted by BA6948
There is a report from a customer on twitter that has been asked to ditch his hot coffee before boarding for security reasons. There you go!
Possibly a bus transfer and so nothing new? Otherwise, I'd argue by the time we got to taxi it would be cold/I'd have drunk it.

On an unrelated note, I'm now on a sub aircraft tomorrow - presumably not BoB? And does anyone know what the legroom is like on Titan vs BA?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BA6948
I've only witnessed that at bus gates.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by fife

​​
My feelings exactly.

Given that there can be no reason for the FT-er who related the incident to have fabricated the circumstances in any way, we must take the report in full at face value.

I do hope we don't see follow-up posts from apologists attempting to balance things up with 'counter-reports' of their own BoB flights which all went perfectly ....crew couldn't have been more helpful .......there's something odd about this story .....

Quite simply, this should never have happened. It is truly shameful. There can be NO excuse.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think being able to bring your own booze onboard is soon for the fairies. Other LCC don't allow it so pax can hardly complain. Hot drinks can easily be banned thanks to H&S which can be a good excuse for booze too, too many drunk pax causing expensive diverts and risk to pax safety.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by subject2load
My feelings exactly.

Given that there can be no reason for the FT-er who related the incident to have fabricated the circumstances in any way, we must take the report in full at face value.

I do hope we don't see follow-up posts from apologists attempting to balance things up with 'counter-reports' of their own BoB flights which all went perfectly ....crew couldn't have been more helpful .......there's something odd about this story .....

Quite simply, this should never have happened. It is truly shameful. There can be NO excuse.
What a very peculiar post! This topic is about experiences and reactions to the BoB service, why shouldn't those who experience positive experiences post that experience?

Yes, take these third-hand experiences at face value, but do bear in mind that we do not know how candid such third-party reports really are.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by stevie
Well that is a strange analogy.
Everyone has their opinion, but I don't think it's that weird as almost every story about inflight I have heard about has always said something about an instrument being sterilized with vodka.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.