Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: I don't fly enough
Originally Posted by T8191
Waitrose have certainly been very responsive to a couple of product complaints from this household ... and they are very keen to know the barcode and details of who supplied the product (both occasions were pre-packaged veggies)

Always comensated with a voucher, BTW.
But then again Waitrose is a decent company that care about their brand, just look at their Twitter. I got a refund for some dodgy beans last night, but they also ended up with another £13 of mine in their till as a result. They win in this situation. I can't say I feel the same way about BA short-haul at the moment!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Since hot water isn't free,

Can I have a free cup of ice?
I wondered that in all seriousness.

The answer, by the way, seems to be a cheerful "yes", on a sample size of 5 flights so far.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by psollitt
Just had an interesting call to M&S customer services ,
Proactively looking into concerns regarding their relationship in this cooperation....confirming a 6 month trial duration at the moment , they were unaware about the problems of stock levels on BA flights ... ..maybe we should attack this on 2 fronts
Not suggesting it's highly likely, but could you imagine the spin that would need to come out of Waterside if M&S pulled the plug on this after six months?
However unlikely that may be, I think it's more probable than BA under Cruz admitting they've cocked it up.
'Due to extensive customer feedback we've determined passengers want to purchase Morrisons branded food when they fly with us'
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel.return
Hi MrSimonR, thank you for this. She genuinely cares for the customers as do the vast majority of the crew.

It's a testament to see that even though we are undervalued and I'd go as far as saying not wanted by the company (I am referring to legacy crew) . We have been told for years we are paid too much, and not productive. Add to this that we are continually compared to easy jet and other budget company's and expected to offer the service of a premium airline. But still someone like Angela will go to this length to make that difference no matter how small . I have also see cc use there own credit cards to pay for some customers such as the elderly or young who only have cash . This company has been running on the goodwill of the staff for far to many years. Let's not mention the 'Billions' they made in profits, while a staff member buys biscuits with her own hard earned money .

The sad fact of the matter is she will probably get no thanks for that at all, I know she herself won't bring it to the company's attention. So maybe an email to the man at the top [email protected] may be worth a few moments.

Oh I am sure you all knew his email anyways

In fact to date there has been no internal coms from any senior management in regard to the ongoing problems. Just some low level management saying that we should expect teething issues and to keep feeding back our findings.

Safe flying

::::::::::::::::::::::::
My username is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA .
:::::::::::::::::::::::
The information posted here are my views and opinion . They do not reflect the official view or opinion or any other individual or company.
:::::::::::::::::::::::
It's incredibly sad that the part of your post I've bolded is more than likely true, even publically BA seem unable to be able to say a nice word about what is their greatest asset.

Of course, while they like to imagine crew to all be entirely replaceable, management, like at all top companies, maintain that they fully earn their massive salaries and that such huge salaries are necessary to recruit and retain top talent. Really? Who is responsible for this mess? It's management, and will anyone accept any responsibility? No, of course not, they're happy to hide in their office, well away from the coalface and the ire of their customers. Are you really telling me no-one else could do Alex Cruz' job better? How many cabin crew could be employed for his salary? I have no doubt which would have a more positive impact on BA's performance. And they talk about crew being overpaid. Cowards, frauds and sociopaths run this airline, as studies have shown CEOs disproportionately are.

Given the shambles of its introduction I can't actually see how this will ever make money for BA. As someone pointed out, it only needs 1 ticket holder per flight to walk away, probably less on longer flights with hiigher priced average tickets, and all the revenue is wiped out. I can quite believe that 1 passenger per flight, less than 1%, will be lost because of this. And then there is the revenue impact to long haul where those are connecting passengers.

Of course, lost revenue is invisible. And that is why this is happeneing, management can point to the cost savings and as far as they're concerned their job is done and the shareholders are happy, even if the net affect isn't actually positive. No-one can ever show how much revenue was lost, as with all the enhancements. I hope the shareholders aren't that stupid, the BA brand over the last year has been in the press for the wrong reasons again and again. This is about management achieving short term cost savings to justify their own salaries, inflate shares, pilllage what they can, and they will be gone before the damage is fully realised. We see it again and again.

I didn't actually think BOB would be that bad, but the way it has been implemented, the hype around it, and the way BA have been treating their crews, make me think again. If pax, who may be connecting, can't even be guaranteed a glass of water will be served, there will definitely be a lot of lost business.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by subject2load
Way too much confusion & mixed messages here folks, and must say I'm surprised to see it all.

Are none of you disciples of Martin Lewis, aka moneysavingexpert.com, and all-round champion of consumer rights .....??

Whatever you are given/supplied with (whether paid for at POS or otherwise) whilst travelling onboard a BA aircraft : BA have responsibility. And it is to BA that any complaint or grievance should be addressed.

Sure, feel free to pass on your thoughts/concerns to M&S, wrt any perceived damage to their brand. I'm sure they would want to gather such feedback because, when all said & done, the impact on conventional retail store sales - both food & non-food - is obviously far more important to M&S than any BA contract.

But as pointed out by some posters, the matter of poorly-executed at-seat delivery of the product is entirely the responsibility of BA. And that would include any potential 'dodgy-tasting' product which you feel was the result of poor storage or untimely delivery etc, etc.

I doubt any of you think about writing to the IFE system manufacturer if your particular unit isn't functioning properly during the flight. No difference with the food & drink they supply to you onboard.
So you visit Burger King at a service station and get a bad meal or bad service.

Who would you complain to?

Burger King or the service station?

The majority of the outlets in the service station are run by the service station and just use the Burger King or Costa name. They are not outlets run by the companies Yet it would be that company you would complain to. And that name that is tarnished.

No difference with BA / M&S as far as I can see.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by psollitt
Just had an interesting call to M&S customer services....confirming a 6 month trial duration at the moment , they were unaware about the problems of stock levels on BA flights...
Struggling to reconcile "a 6 month trial" with the scale and fanfare of the launch? Surely there is some sort of solid commitment behind this (i.e. pulling the service or switching partners after 6 months is really not an option barring force majeure).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dambus
Struggling to reconcile "a 6 month trial" with the scale and fanfare of the launch? Surely there is some sort of solid commitment behind this (i.e. pulling the service or switching partners after 6 months is really not an option barring force majeure).
Well, this could be a "6 months trial" with the expectation that it will be continued (a bit like a new staff probation period, if you like).
In other words, the expectation is that it will go on beyond six months but there is a "get out" clause in there at the 6-month point if it turns out to be a disaster or not operating to satisfaction.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
17.45 LHR-GLA Took orders for hot rolls after apologising to pax that they now had to charge for food.
Well after take off the CSM cleared his throat and apologised that the service was off as neither computer could load the application to take the money!
So they were unable to serve food or drink.

He came round to take comments and admitted that he was now going to throw away my bacon roll rather than give it to me!
About half the food was on its shelf life so that would be binned too.

Pax to my right said "I wonder if that's what the crew wanted? They obviously did NOT like the new system!

Gets better and better.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
So you visit Burger King at a service station and get a bad meal or bad service.

Who would you complain to?

Burger King or the service station?

The majority of the outlets in the service station are run by the service station and just use the Burger King or Costa name. They are not outlets run by the companies Yet it would be that company you would complain to. And that name that is tarnished.

No difference with BA / M&S as far as I can see.
Ultimately I'd complain to whoever I thought would be more likely to listen. Given BA don't listen I may well let M&S know what I think in the hope M&S take up issues with BA. Would make my day if M&S pulled out, would love to make Cruz less smug.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@GentleGiant - you're clouding the issue with scenarios involving (potential) franchise operations etc.

However..... it's all pretty straightforward IMO.

Complaints go to whoever you pay your money to.

You don't have a contractual/customer relationship with anybody else.

Edit : have just read IAMORGAN's post ; and whilst I still don't see that as the default legal approach, I fully understand his/her thinking.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
Well, this could be a "6 months trial" with the expectation that it will be continued (a bit like a new staff probation period, if you like).
In other words, the expectation is that it will go on beyond six months but there is a "get out" clause in there at the 6-month point if it turns out to be a disaster or not operating to satisfaction.
Indeed. In fact, the 6 months clause might even more likely be used to renegotiate some specifics (without necessarily 'getting out' altogether) based on the feedback from the initial period (e.g. different volumes, profit sharing/risk sharing model, etc).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
@GentleGiant - you're clouding the issue with scenarios involving (potential) franchise operations etc.

You don't have a contractual/customer relationship with anybody else.
So you would not complain to Burger King.

Oh well.

No clouding of any issues. If M&S opt to use their name for a service they must be prepared to get both the glory and the criticism.

They need to know that things are not right.

If it was wonderful they would take all the glory.

Can't be both ways.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I do hope this won't cause the named CSD any trouble...
This CSD and the entire 767 crew are true ambassadors for the company and do an outstanding job, as they care for their customers.

Just to be clear, no outside supplies (biscuits, sweets) were offered around, as they were at least able to keep relative calm on the return and sell drinks. It was on the outward that the ET cabin was full of crying children, hungry older people and very shouty and rude middle aged people, who were abusive with the entire crew, leaving them upset and shaken.

The outside supplies were never used. I merely wanted to point out the lengths some staff will go to, to look after the wellbeing their passengers. It's like offering their personal bought copy of a newspaper to a shouty passenger who is upset there's no newspapers any more; or giving up their crew meal to someone who doesn't like the club meal; or offering their crew water when the passengers' water has run out, or helping the elderly lady the entire way through the airport when her wheelchair never shows up.

These are things that the legacy crews (especially the 767 eurofleet crews) have been doing for years, all part of what we customers love about BA, and what is taken for granted by the bean counters.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by nallison

Of course, lost revenue is invisible. And that is why this is happeneing, management can point to the cost savings and as far as they're concerned their job is done and the shareholders are happy, even if the net affect isn't actually positive. No-one can ever show how much revenue was lost, as with all the enhancements. I hope the shareholders aren't that stupid, t
No we are not! I was thinking of selling mine as a protest, then thought again as it would make bu**er all difference to BA. But as a share holder I will continue to write and voice my opinion in any way possible. I think A Cruze will find that shareholders en masse will not be happy if this situation carries on and drags down staff morale and the public face of the company more than it and he already has.

Will anyone who matters listen? Sadly I have my doubts until, as has already been said, their collective pockets are hit.

Last edited by lloydah; Jan 18, 2017 at 2:17 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not complain to both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.