Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just off BA2958 (LGW-GLA). Interesting experience for the crew no doubt, not helped by the guy making the announcements being barely comprehensible and very quiet. Cue things like the woman next to me asking for a cup of tea, getting it, and then being somewhat surprised to be asked to pay for it, and a later, further, announcement that only cards, not cash were being accepted.

A little bizarrely given that it was into lunchtime territory by the time we were airborne, they went down the aisles asking for any orders for bacon rolls - but then BA does have funny ideas about what food is appropriate at any given time of day. Not surprisingly there were few takers - from the back it looked like one order from 26A and an argument about BOB from 24E, and maybe one more order at the front.

Into the "service" proper, and sales went well initially from the back - over 50% buying something (not me). As predicted, loading was an issue (three rows in and the sandwiches were gone). This made progress painfully slow. But from about row 25 forward, pretty much nothing else sold and the carts met around row 12.

Would have been interested to hear the reaction from those in the rows that didn't buy, but in the cheap seats at the back (those more used to airlines that have defined themselves as LCCs for longer?), there was generally a pretty ready acceptance.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Many people on my flight today (mostly foreign tourists) were bemused and disappointed that only card was accepted as payment, not cash. The cabin crew had to make several announcements to this effect as they were fed up of people ordering food and then only offering cash.

BA lost out on 5 meal purchases from the family sitting behind me because of this. It seems like they had leftover Sterling and wanted to use it up on the flight home, not wanting to purchase anything via card due to the foreign currency charges from their bank.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by seattle29
Many people on my flight today (mostly foreign tourists) were bemused and disappointed that only card was accepted as payment, not cash. The cabin crew had to make several announcements to this effect as they were fed up of people ordering food and then only offering cash.

BA lost out on 5 meal purchases from the family sitting behind me because of this. It seems like they had leftover Sterling and wanted to use it up on the flight home, not wanting to purchase anything via card due to the foreign currency charges from their bank.
Interesting. Thanks for reporting on the experience.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Machine not working

Was on the 11:25 GTW - GLA, mainly holiday makers from our Orlando flight on it.
Demand was high, and a lot of items where unavailable.

The card machine wasn't working and the 2 Gentlemen cabin crew where in a bit of a flap to the say the least.

I'm sure things will get better over time
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:45 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I think it's silly not accepting cash, it's unnecessarily limiting your market...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver - QF Lifetime Silver
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
most customers will prefer to drink bottled water in much the same way as when purchasing water in other types or retail outlets.
Based on supposition or research?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
FT bonus points to the first to report a successful Avios purchase with the barcode.

Double bonus points to the first to report back what happens if you try to buy when you don't have sufficient Avios in your account to pay for it.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
And are they asking if you are happy to use Contactless or are they just assuming you are?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Bottled water is available to buy, both sparkling and still.

If you don't want to buy bottled water you can request the potable water and when able to, the crew will bring you a glass. Nowadays though, most customers will prefer to drink bottled water in much the same way as when purchasing water in other types or retail outlets.

This is Inline with the practises of most other UK airlines that now offer BOB.
I always request tap water with ice unless my guest prefers bottled water. I would say when out with friends 99% of the time, everyone drinks tap water at restaurants - on business/entertaining it's probably about 50/50.

The thing I find interesting about this is in the past I've been told that the tank water was suitable for drinking unless it had been boiled - tea or coffee. I know many times I will see in the lavs signs that will say near the tap "not drinking water" or something to that effect.

I take it the water from the taps in the lavs is separate?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Are there any suggestions that BoB is affecting CE service, i.e. staff being drafted to Economy to help complete the service, or will one remain up front at all times?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Also, notice that still water is on the menu: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...my-drinks-menu

This being the case, is comp water also off the menu? Can someone flying check? This rather worries me. Surely water has to be provided free of charge?
I thought if an entry fee was charged then water was supposed to be free. I suppose a ticket counts as an entry fee and the cup of water mentioned by littlegirl is the answer to this.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 11, 2017 at 8:19 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
On BA2666 LGW - RAK this morning. No duty free loaded, as apparently there isn't enough room on a A319 for the duty free trolley AND the BOB trolleys at the back. We also had a go-around as the crew weren't ready.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by IJG2
On BA2666 LGW - RAK this morning. No duty free loaded, as apparently there isn't enough room on a A319 for the duty free trolley AND the BOB trolleys at the back. We also had a go-around as the crew weren't ready.
No Duty Free on an Non EU route - that's expensive!
Crew not ready after a LGW-RAK - That must be three hours? Interesting.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by IJG2
[...] as apparently there isn't enough room on a A319 for the duty free trolley AND the BOB trolleys at the back.
Really?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

A little bizarrely given that it was into lunchtime territory by the time we were airborne, they went down the aisles asking for any orders for bacon rolls - but then BA does have funny ideas about what food is appropriate at any given time of day. Not surprisingly there were few takers - from the back it looked like one order from 26A and an argument about BOB from 24E, and maybe one more order at the front.
I wouldn't say that is bizarre - I wouldn't consider a bacon roll a purely breakfast food. I'm quite happy with a bacon roll for lunch. Most BOB airlines have this as an option and in my experience it seems popular the whole day. U2 certainly run out of them frequently enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.