Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Gold bullion? Two bars would take you over, 24cm x 8 cm x 4cm each bar, and 12.4 kgs each.
I can attest that platinum does a good job too...

Well, pretty much most metals make a laptop bag quite heavy!

I do frequently have 10-15kg in it although I think I am yet to go over 20kg on the laptop bag.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Another trip on BA0579 (VCE to LHR) today, the process looked a lot smoother but couldn't see what the uptake was like as I was in Row 4 (CE 1-3). For the first time since BoB started I saw them doing a duty free run as well as a dishing out landing cards so I assume they finished BoB in plenty of time.

One thing I did notice was that the M&S menu cards were in all seat back pockets including CE. I'm guessing that's not normal procedure? Also the menu cards are already looking VERY tired, lots of creases, marks and corners missing etc. Doesn't exactly scream 'quality'.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by streetmagix
One thing I did notice was that the M&S menu cards were in all seat back pockets including CE. I'm guessing that's not normal procedure?
Yes, in case you want to buy some Percy Pigs or other sugary/savoury treat. Being at the front of the aircraft there might acutally be something left too!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Random data point from my AMS-LGW sector yesterday.

BoB take-up best described as very sporadic : the occasional row where seemingly all/most occupants were buying, followed by about three or four rows without a single purchase (and barely a hint of eye contact between CC and pax in the 'no-BoB' rows)

Even though the limited sales were largely drinks only, it's very questionable that service could have been completed with a high take-up.

A couple of rows ahead of me, a scene recounted here by others was played out, when a cup of tea was ordered, prepared and handed over - only for the CC member involved then having to re-state that cash payment was not possible. In all fairness, this restriction had been pre-announced clearly by the cabin senior, but of course many folk don't pay attention to announcements ; and easy to forget that in some cases there can also be language issues.

The tea in question was promptly - and somewhat unceremoniously - removed from the tray table of the cash-only passenger. Sad that this should happen on a carrier with the history & tradition of BA, but never on other LCC's. There was no further discussion between the parties - and certainly no hint of apology by the crew member who, I suspect, did not see any need, on the basis that there had been a prior warning.

Even as a 'bystander', I myself actually felt uncomfortable witnessing this particular scenario, one that nobody could ever have predicted back in the era when a global marketing campaign saw BA promoted as 'The World's Favourite Airline'. How very strange those words sound today........
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:09 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I find it somewhat amazing that the BA Twitter team would "like' a tweet that is critical of BOB. Perhaps there is some automated tool that 'likes' any tweet that mentions BA? I only say this because BA liked it.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by squeeler
I find it somewhat amazing that the BA Twitter team would "like' a tweet that is critical of BOB. Perhaps there is some automated tool that 'likes' any tweet that mentions BA? I only say this because BA liked it.
Poor Liam. If only he'd known.

It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying “Beware of the Leopard".
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
LHR to TXL yesterday (Saturday 12 March).

Announcements generally were rushed, garbled and unclear, even to this native English speaker. It sounded like the cabin crew were reading a script and determined to get through it as quickly as humanly possible.

Prior to beginning the BoB service, it was announced that ET passengers could pay for refreshments with credit card, debit card or Avios, but I don't think a casual passenger would have understood from that announcement that cash was not accepted.

The elderly German lady in the window seat in my row, who spoke almost no English, asked for a coffee. The crew gave her a coffee and the lady offered a five-pound note. The FA who had given the coffee turned to her colleague, rolled her eyes, sighed and said, loudly and sarcastically, "out comes the cash". She tried to explain to the passenger, in increasingly loud English, that they don't have the facilities to accept cash. She made no attempt to explain it more simply, or to find a colleague who spoke German. Eventually, she just took the coffee away.

I was appalled, embarrassed and angry. Had I had my wallet or phone close to hand I would have paid for the coffee myself with Avios or debit card, but both were in the overhead locker and the trolley had already moved on. I could barely look my fellow passenger in the eye all the way to Berlin; I just wanted to apologise for the way she had been treated by our flag-carrying airline.

This is the way BA now treats the people who choose to fly with them.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
LHR to TXL yesterday ...........

I was appalled, embarrassed and angry. Had I had my wallet or phone close to hand I would have paid for the coffee myself with Avios or debit card, but both were in the overhead locker and the trolley had already moved on. I could barely look my fellow passenger in the eye all the way to Berlin; I just wanted to apologise for the way she had been treated by our flag-carrying airline.

Very similar to the scenario I witnessed this Friday afternoon just gone, but you have articulated your feelings better than I did (ref my post above #1369).

My very first flight with BA was so long ago () that the company operated under a different name. Back then, never could I remotely imagine that I would one day be sitting aboard one of their aircraft, and see a cup of tea taken back from a fare-paying passenger by a member of staff whose salary is paid by that very same passenger. A cup of tea which costs the airline all of .....hmm......5 pence.......?? Let's say 10 pence at most.

Just very sad.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

Announcements generally were rushed, garbled and unclear, even to this native English speaker. It sounded like the cabin crew were reading a script and determined to get through it as quickly as humanly possible.

Prior to beginning the BoB service, it was announced that ET passengers could pay for refreshments with credit card, debit card or Avios, but I don't think a casual passenger would have understood from that announcement that cash was not accepted.

The elderly German lady in the window seat in my row, who spoke almost no English, asked for a coffee. The crew gave her a coffee and the lady offered a five-pound note. The FA who had given the coffee turned to her colleague, rolled her eyes, sighed and said, loudly and sarcastically, "out comes the cash". She tried to explain to the passenger, in increasingly loud English, that they don't have the facilities to accept cash. She made no attempt to explain it more simply, or to find a colleague who spoke German. Eventually, she just took the coffee away.

This is a disgrace. What if the woman did not understand English? And the sarcasm was totally uncalled for 'out comes the cash'? That was treating passengers with contempt.

If I was sitting next to this poor old woman, I would pay for the coffee myself with card (and not ask for the money from the old lady as 'compensation' for the way she was treated)
and make a full report of the incident, while keeping the receipt and sending the bill to BA. (Not that they would pay it, but just to make a point).
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
What a great way 'To Fly, To Serve' take away an already poured coffee from someone who has difficulty understanding English and presumably pour it down the sink.

I can imagine a lot of British people being surprised cash is not an option but in Germany it's still significantly a cash society and I believe their most popular debit card is still EC which is no good in the UK.

I did like the thought of all electronic payments, particular contactless, speeding up the process but it seems like the world as a whole isn't quite ready for that so the airline needs to make some concessions.

The other issue, that you'd have expected an international airline would realise, is the menu is not at all diverse. Having services to Turkey where the only food loaded is bacon rolls is just ridiculous. (Now I'm glad they provide bacon rolls, but when flying to a country with a large muslim population you'd expect a Halal alternative offered).
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
The other issue, that you'd have expected an international airline would realise, is the menu is not at all diverse. Having services to Turkey where the only food loaded is bacon rolls is just ridiculous. (Now I'm glad they provide bacon rolls, but when flying to a country with a large muslim population you'd expect a Halal alternative offered).[/QUOTE]

Layz I agree, but I really doubt anyone Turkish actually flies BA to IST unless they are banned from TK or something = )

The contactless thing I agree, it was too extreme. They should allow cash. How is an 80 year old grandmother who doesn't even speak English supposed to pay contactless??? BA probably lost her as a customer.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:51 am
Suspended

Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....

I trust that you have reported it to BA as a complaint.

If not then nothing will change.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:19 am

Sounds really mean, nasty and spiteful.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit

I too am appalled. This example needs much more publicity.

Where is any sense of humanity or any thought of duty of care?

Maybe because I am now getting older I'm more aware of the needs and frailties of the elderly than a young group of commission-based flight crew. However do these people not have grandparents?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.