Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
BCN-LHR tonight trolley served rows 5-10 at most before descent started. Seemed to take a long time getting set up and taking payments.

Buying wine at the duty free (it's cheaper than on board) then requesting tap water to get cups worked fine, and a bottle of wine goes down fine between three passengers - I can see more pax bringing their own food and drink on board. At least that way you are assured of having something.

I feel for all the pax further down the bus than row 10, I am surprised the crew did not get any further than they did but the payment system seemed to be playing up (no sign of contactless).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Contactless

LHR-ARN yesterday. Purser announced they had contactless option for payment. I was front row ET and bought a bottle of water. Payment was much quicker for my transaction compared to previous experience so I thought I would see the crew complete service much more quickly. However, it took 1 hour, 45 mins to get to the back just before the 15 mins to landing call.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by MCM1
LHR-ARN yesterday. Purser announced they had contactless option for payment.
I believe contactless payment is now accepted for AMEX and VISA, MasterCard to follow soon.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Band 1 flights yesterday. Everything went very smoothly. Service done in less than 5 minutes both ways. No takers both ways. 80% full cabins in ET. Only one attempt in first ET row to get a coffee but after the person understood he had to pay for it he declined. No tap water requested, no water distributed. A few people eating their own food (sandwich, fruit). No interaction with the crew, even no welcome on board and no apologies by the pilot for the delays (both flights). Everything did feel cheap.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
This sort of report, from vibguy is - in many ways
- a lot more depressing/sad than the regular trolley didn't get beyond row 10 tales.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Silver
Band 4 Last night RAK-LGW - was sat in the exit 5 rows into ET.

Service took forever with good uptake in the first few rows but they quickly ran out of pretty much everything to eat beyond crisps and biscuits before reaching me. Had to make to with a coffee and biscuits which wasn't ideal for that length of flight/time of day. but the biggest complaint from me was the coffee was lukewarm and undrinkable.

Payments seemed laboriously slow but working none the less, paid with avios using the app without a problem.

Interesting comment from the outbound - sat in row one, cc from the rear asked the senior if she wanted stock keeping back for the return to which she said no, we've got what we've got it, sell it and when its gone it gone. No high life shop on the A319 going out due to space constraints.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by RDinJER

Service took forever with good uptake in the first few rows but they quickly ran out of pretty much everything to eat beyond crisps and biscuits before reaching me. Had to make to with a coffee and biscuits which wasn't ideal for that length of flight/time of day. but the biggest complaint from me was the coffee was lukewarm and undrinkable.

It was, presumably, at this very point that you were put in mind of the pre-launch BoB advertising campaign slogan .... "The food you love, now available* at 30,000 feet"

* or NOT available as the case may be ..... subject to your specific route, date and seating row.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by vibguy
Band 1 flights yesterday. Everything went very smoothly. Service done in less than 5 minutes both ways. No takers both ways. 80% full cabins in ET. Only one attempt in first ET row to get a coffee but after the person understood he had to pay for it he declined. No tap water requested, no water distributed. A few people eating their own food (sandwich, fruit). No interaction with the crew, even no welcome on board and no apologies by the pilot for the delays (both flights). Everything did feel cheap.
They're trashing the brand, they really are...can't wait to report back from LPA flight tomorrow. As a Gold I've been bumped out of exit row 11 into row 26. Will have a bird's eye view..
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Finally found out, Bacon rolls and Percey Pigs are available on flights to and from IST. Was tempted but the CE breakfast was actually lunch oddly enough and quite nice.

Worryingly though the BA staff were unaware that Percy Pigs can contain pork gelatin (the ones with green ears don't apparently) but I suppose anyone that bothered is unlikely to eat a product called Percy Pig.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Porky Speedpig
Hi Bafan - no that's not correct. There was only one very rapid pass on a Manchester shuttle sector so the tea you were served with was all you got. It was usually lukewarm and stewed.
This is a much better idea and at £2.30 the same kind of price charged in Starbucks or Costa etc.
Delighted you enjoyed your tea but in 30 years of flying have never once not gotten a second cup if requested on any route best MAN AMS CDG GLA or EDI.

I suspect that a second cup, now that you play for is very much a thing of the past as the crew will simply not be able to serve you.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
They're trashing the brand, they really are...can't wait to report back from LPA flight tomorrow. As a Gold I've been bumped out of exit row 11 into row 26. Will have a bird's eye view..
Usually is 12 rows of CE on the Sat LPA flight so probably that explains the bump. Seen the bar drank dry before both ways in Y in the past on this route; would be interesting to know the take up of BOB on this route; I would expect take up to be pretty high on this particular flight so good luck in row 26!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:05 pm

First BoB experience this week LGW>NAP with easyJet and back with BA. Main points:
-Preferred the BA(M&S) bacon roll to the easyJet
-easyJet were much more efficient and knowledgeable about the range of products
-Percy pig bag is "inflated" due to the cabin pressure
-On this BA flight the crew went down the cabin immediately after takeoff taking hot orders on a scrap of paper. Then started the trolley service (very slow in the first row). Then as soon as the hot food arrived, skipped the "cold order" pax to finish the sale to the hot order pax. Not sure if all CSM's are doing this.
-iPad is very heavy, I found it very awkward to hold while entering the pin. Elderly people could really struggle with this. EasyJet's POS terminal is much more suitable.
-Pax next to me had obviously decided not to pay for food and brought their own boiled eggs and smelly cheese to eat. Not a particularly pleasant experience.
-Several people muttered about not accepting cash and at least one person had to get up to get their wallet out of the overhead locker.
-Contactless was working for Visa but not MasterCard
-I think I overheard them saying they'd ran out of crisps after a few rows but may be wrong
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SAS EB Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Accor Silver
Thursday night's ARN-LHR 767. Seated in 13K and first time I've bought something - went for the beef sandwich and salt and vinegar crisps with a cup of water. Cost about £6.50. The food was fine; reminded me a little of the "all day deli" days, especially with being on the 767. Served quickly and they seemed busy with orders as the trolley headed back.

My my main thought was that if it cost me £6.50, it probably cost BA half that. I suspect a KLM style sandwich would cost a lot less and would be satisfactory. Is it really worth annoying so many people for so little?

I often take the SAS flight direct from Edinburgh to Stockholm. Even in economy, tea and coffee is still free and they keep coming round with it. In SAS Plus (Premium Economy), the free food is pretty bad but you can have a free raid of the BoB trolley instead, should you prefer (I often do). Bottom line - SAS are cheaper, faster and better for me now than BA and I'll be switching back to them as soon as their summer timetable starts again. If it weren't for our negotiated BA fares, I would be on KLM now.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:50 am

Flew MAN-LHR-MAD last November, got my usual 2 cups of tea, a bloody mary and a bacon roll. All free. Apparently that would now cost me around £15 when I take the same trip tomorrow. On a ticket costing me more than twice as much. Will report back on how my in-flight food situation goes. Am planning to take food/drink onboard with me but we'll see.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Echobunny
Flew MAN-LHR-MAD last November, got my usual 2 cups of tea, a bloody mary and a bacon roll. All free. Apparently that would now cost me around £15 when I take the same trip tomorrow. On a ticket costing me more than twice as much. Will report back on how my in-flight food situation goes. Am planning to take food/drink onboard with me but we'll see.
Wow 5 years a member and never posted until today, welcome to FT and the BA forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.