Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:02 am

I'm taking my last booked BA shorthaul today. Alitalia, LH, KLM and AF in future. No more fake full service airline with BA in Europe.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
First real experiences of BoB - probably in the FT minority but very impressed. Tea both ways on LHR MAN LHR - £2.30 for a decent very hot tea which must be 3-4x the size of the old free ones. Not a huge take up so my tea in hand in Row 8 within 10 mins of wheels up. All rows served on both sectors - 320/321 and all cleared away before TEN minutes to landing. Transaction quick using AVIOS although one crew member this morning seemed unaware of that option but quickly corrected by colleague. To be honest this IS an enhancement in my view.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Another report on BoB, this time from Skytrax. It summarizes what is being said here especially the verdict section...

http://www.airlinequality.com/news/b...board-service/
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Porky Speedpig
First real experiences of BoB - probably in the FT minority but very impressed. Tea both ways on LHR MAN LHR - £2.30 for a decent very hot tea which must be 3-4x the size of the old free ones. Not a huge take up so my tea in hand in Row 8 within 10 mins of wheels up. All rows served on both sectors - 320/321 and all cleared away before TEN minutes to landing. Transaction quick using AVIOS although one crew member this morning seemed unaware of that option but quickly corrected by colleague. To be honest this IS an enhancement in my view.
Good for you ! Glad you enjoyed the quality. And the fact that you were paying for something that was previously free.

In the past, as far as I'm aware, if you'd wanted more tea, you only had to ask...
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Has anyone tried contactless yet?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Hi Bafan - no that's not correct. There was only one very rapid pass on a Manchester shuttle sector so the tea you were served with was all you got. It was usually lukewarm and stewed.
This is a much better idea and at £2.30 the same kind of price charged in Starbucks or Costa etc.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bafan
Good for you ! Glad you enjoyed the quality. And the fact that you were paying for something that was previously free.

In the past, as far as I'm aware, if you'd wanted more tea, you only had to ask...
You imply we are having the wool pulled over our eyes, or are in some way failing to realize we are being conned. I'm big enough (and ugly enough, as my mother would say) to make the decision for myself.

I agree with Porky Speedpig on this one.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Porky Speedpig
This is a much better idea and at £2.30 the same kind of price charged in Starbucks or Costa etc.
Not really. Tea at Costa is £1.75, and £1.80 at Starbucks, so the BA prices effectively 30% more expensive.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:58 am

LHR to Milan today. Y was about 70% full and it took the whole flight to complete the BoB. It took about 25 minutes to get past row 5. Multiple "hot" drinks at £2.30 were being returned as they were lukewarm and the crew were really proactive in trying to get fresh hot water for those complaining. Anyone sat beyond row 17 got offered BoB when the captain announced the initial descent and throughout the flight the crews were reversing back and forwards to allow passengers, including elderly people and one mum with a baby access to the rear toilet.

The crew were lovely and very professional. BA product developers may need to spend some time with EasyJet and Ryanair to see how they manage BoB so well while BA is really struggling.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
LHR to Milan today. Y was about 70% full and it took the whole flight to complete the BoB. It took about 25 minutes to get past row 5. Multiple "hot" drinks at £2.30 were being returned as they were lukewarm and the crew were really proactive in trying to get fresh hot water for those complaining.

I think in pre-BoB days many of us have been presented with the familiar lukewarm tea ; and (like me) have perhaps been inclined to just accept it without bothering to reject / complain.

It's a rather different story when you're shelling out £2.30 for the privilege.

I really do sympathise with all those CC doing their very best in these circumstances. Unless one's focus is entirely on the potential commission earnings (which undoubtedly will be the driver for some), I would think the change in ET cabin 'mood' and new job responsibilities must be demotivating in many ways.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Ok another BoB flight. Full A320 ZRH-LHR. At least 3 or 4 purchases per row. Got my coke only during descent passing FL200 (row 22). Payment took a bit as the iPad was not responding for a minute or so. They ran out of sandwiches and other stuff. One F/A was still securing the rear galley when we were at around 2000ft AGL. Dirty aircraft from inbound flight. Still not impressed.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Interesting to hear folks who say the response is positive - BA's twitter feed still has a number of complaints

and long-haul 'enhancements' as well

Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Wow wow, careful James Barlow, you have now officially provided feedback requesting the end of free long haul catering!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Travelled with two colleagues from AMS to LHR and back. Outbound was full.Tthey purchased some drinks and although it took 4 tries on 2 different cards they finally got their order. They found it perfectly normal to pay for drinks by the way, but found the handling of it to be very 'clumsy' compared to LCCs.

Inbound on a half full BMI A3xx and they service went quickly and without any problems. Lots of purchases. Had a quick chat with one of the crew and their main frustration seems to be that they have to lock up and process everything before every landing. Not sure if that is true as it was the second time this crew member flew on a BoB service. Also they had their training months ago and they all felt that it was too soon, too short and not very good.

But it I would say that, as that is what I do of course.

I bought nothing as I had already emptied the bar in the lounge.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Wow wow, careful James Barlow, you have now officially provided feedback requesting the end of free long haul catering!
Based on customer feedback... ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.