Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
All the internal talk and feedback, apart from the payment problems, has so far focussed on selling out of stock. Crew feedback is mostly that BA has hugely underestimated demand. Hopefully each day provides more data so supply can be matched with individual flight demand.

Despite the reactions on here, BoB is proving to be very popular. Even I'm surprised.
I'm sure I'd read here somewhere that BA were going to overstock flights initially until they'd got a handle on actual demand on certain routes. Seems like the opposite has happened which makes sense from a cost perspective although makes it much harder to accurately gauge demand. But as more data is gathered I guess

One thing to be wary of though for BA is how many people have got caught out by being unaware BOB was starting and bought onboard as there was otherwise no option for food and drink. In future I imagine at least some of them will bring their own. Some routes though probably are popular with business people who can just expense their purchases and are happier that they can now eat more than a tiny bag of crisps. In fact this may well lead to some people flying ET rather than CE and just BOBing instead.

Ultimately I can foresee a scenario where BOB does well for BA but also puts off enough people from flying them that it actually becomes a negative for their income.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
Some routes though probably are popular with business people who can just expense their purchases and are happier that they can now eat more than a tiny bag of crisps. In fact this may well lead to some people flying ET rather than CE and just BOBing instead.
I am not sure about that. I have flown the BRU-LHR route and my colleagues the PAR-LHR route since BoB started and the uptake was close to 0. I am not sure corporate customers bother with the BoB offering. From what I am hearing from my colleagues is that BA is now considered a "cheap" brand not really worth flying with. The opposition to BoB is strong.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
'Bland British Airways could do with a lift'

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...s-lift/1422342
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
My BoB purchase from 21st January appeared on my credit card today.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by BA6948
From what I am hearing from my colleagues is that BA is now considered a "cheap" brand not really worth flying with. The opposition to BoB is strong.
How much more cheaper can they go? Isn't Veuling and IB close to the lowest that they can go? Revive their former LCC brand (sorry can't remember the name anymore).
I am glad that the BoB concept is failing as it is just appaling that they have stooped so low. Have so far been able to avoid flying BA and giving my business to KL/AF when possible.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Are there any suggestions that BoB is affecting CE service, i.e. staff being drafted to Economy to help complete the service, or will one remain up front at all times?
The easy answer to that is YES from the three CC I have spoken to. Two CSDs (who are friends) told me they've had to go and help out in ET to help complete BoB.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
How much more cheaper can they go? Isn't Veuling and IB close to the lowest that they can go? Revive their former LCC brand (sorry can't remember the name anymore).

I assume you're referring to their (excitingly-named) s/h subsidiary 'Go' ?

Which, unfortunately, has gone.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
I assume you're referring to their (excitingly-named) s/h subsidiary 'Go' ?

Which, unfortunately, has gone.
Does Iberia Express still exist, where does it fit with IB and Vueling?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by ianwall
Does Iberia Express still exist, where does it fit with IB and Vueling?
Iberia Express (I2) still exists, mostly feeding Iberia long haul (including from the UK).
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
A couple of weeks ago I took a group of about 10 family members from LHR-NCL. Asked the crew if I could order 9 fruit salads (as they were the only menu option acceptable to kosher eaters) only to be told that they only had some sandwiches and nothing else ... so what on earth was the fancy menu there for?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by mikebg
A couple of weeks ago I took a group of about 10 family members from LHR-NCL. Asked the crew if I could order 9 fruit salads (as they were the only menu option acceptable to kosher eaters) only to be told that they only had some sandwiches and nothing else ... so what on earth was the fancy menu there for?
I had a similar situation - only a sample size of one flight, a morning LHR-GLA a few weeks ago, but I was in row 1 and asked for one of the focaccias only to be told there were none stocked.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by JackFlash
'Bland British Airways could do with a lift'

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...s-lift/1422342
Campaign has always been widely read in the business / marketing world.

Some interesting thoughts in that piece, not least the perspective that M&S was a wholly unimaginative & outdated choice, in terms of marketing and brand-building, as the supplier/partner for BoB.

The actual food offerings too come in for no little criticism :

"As for the culinary experience itself - well, we who live here know what we're in for, but travellers coming from Italy, Spain, France or Germany will be stupefied at just how bland an item on a tray can taste and still be called "lunch".
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
On Ba2772 today LGW > JER not many takers, probably around 4 in whole of ET. We then attempted to land twice and had to divert back to LGW. During the flight back, the crew just sat at the back chatting. We then spent around 1 hour 45 minutes on the ground and during this time the crew just sat at the back having a chat. No water or anything was fourthcoming.

We them took off again towards JER and again the crew sat at the back chatting. Someone sat next to me went to have a word and they told him they couldn't do anything as everything had been locked away from the first leg and attempted landing.

i think it's an absolute disgrace to be delayed over 3 hours and not be offered anything, for free or even to buy.

In the days before BoB I remember the crew in ET doing water and juice rounds. In the era of Cruz is this banned?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
The easy answer to that is YES from the three CC I have spoken to. Two CSDs (who are friends) told me they've had to go and help out in ET to help complete BoB.
Interestingly (and i posted this upthread) we had two crew in CE on both my flights just over a week ago. The food was admittedly lousy, but the drinks kept coming if you wanted them...
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by perthflyer
I had a similar situation - only a sample size of one flight, a morning LHR-GLA a few weeks ago, but I was in row 1 and asked for one of the focaccias only to be told there were none stocked.
I have also been trying to track down the elusive focaccias, and I have found out they are only offered on longer European sectors such as TXL and beyond. They do have the same sticker on as the bacon roll but there is a further gradation of the longer distance flights. Despite being one of the more expensive items it is also selling better than expected and more stock is being added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.