Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by hugolover
I am confused as to why you think CE would offer a superior F&B offering? It is complimentary and CE has many other benefits such as seats at the front of the aircraft and middle seat tray table. Any issues pertaining to it, such as no meal loaded is not a matter of performance but goodwill Avios (say 2,000) can be issued.
Complimentary in that there is no charge at the point of delivery, it is however included in the ticket price. It is a stipulated part of the service and the provision of F&B forms part of the contract.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Complimentary in that there is no charge at the point of delivery, it is however included in the ticket price. It is a stipulated part of the service and the provision of F&B forms part of the contract.
Absolutely. But some people will simply roll over and accept anything by the sound of it.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And to receive satisfaction in the event of no meal loaded- you need to issue a claim? The meal is worth Ł5-10 at most. Eg the afternoon tea sandwiches are smaller than the Ł5 sandwich for sale in the back and I would struggle to claim that "meal" is worth more than this excluding alcohol. Ł5 a reasonable pay out hence the Avios or some kind of voucher voucher for that value. 2000 Avios is about right and can be said to be worth more given the BOB Avios pricing.

I am am struggling to recall a thread where someone who didn't get a meal got a decent pay out, in fact any payout!

Its included in the ticket price but it's complimentary and there is no reason to think it should be any better than what's for sale in the back with the likes of premium alcohol or coffee sans BA super brew. The CE cabin is part of an overall premium environment.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by hugolover
.. Its included in the ticket price but it's complimentary and there is no reason to think it should be any better than what's for sale in the back with the likes of premium alcohol or coffee sans BA super brew. The CE cabin is part of an overall premium environment.
You would certainly expect the quality of the offerings in CE to be, at the very least, a comparable quality to that which is being offered in the economy cabin. Serving lower quality products in CE does not impart confidence in the service standard. This may all be academic (and outside the scope of this topic) as we are promised enhancements to the CE service in the near future.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
If BoB has taught me anything, it’s taught me that I will never ever pay for Club Europe with cash or miles again. Completely out of character, I POUGed myself to CE on a flight back from Madrid yesterday for a not insignificant amount of money as a little treat to myself. I was served Gordon’s (not the Bombay Sapphire offered for payment in ET), those god-awful mini bottles of Tempranillo (that brought back terrible memories of monthly WT flights to Singapore where it is served with abundance), unpalatable coffee (from the big silver pot of gloom), and a small (and barely edible, freezing cold) salad. When I asked to swap the gin and wine for those served on the BoB trolley, I was told “Sorry sir, Alex Cruz won’t let us”. I’m happy to report that when I replied “What a tool”, they nodded their heads enthusiastically!

Setting aside everything else, it now appears that, for status holders on Band 1-3 flights in Euro Traveller, if you are willing to splash out Ł15-Ł20 extra per sector, you will get better food, better spirits, better wine, better coffee, more legroom in the exit row, and the equivalent seat free next to you (~95% of the time with theoretical seating).

Surely even BA can see that this cannot continue like this. Would it really kill the airline to introduce CW-level alcohol to CE, or to give passengers in CE complimentary access to the BoB menu, at the very least? That would be a step in the right direction, but I don’t think even that would entice me back. They’d need to introduce long-haul meal service and free-flowing miniature bottles of LPGS and JW Blue to justify the premiums currently charged for those on point-to-point bookings. I certainly won’t be fooled again.
This post says so much about the CE product, and the way in which its already sub-standard quality is now being thrown into even sharper focus by the introduction of BoB.

Paying hard cash for CE is one thing, but I had an experience which - like you - made question the wisdom of even using miles for it.

When BA launched a new route to Mahon last year (seasonal only, from both LHR & LCY) I decided to try it, having regularly used a respectable Monarch service from LTN for many years. Used Avios for a friend & I to fly CE. No major criticism of the 90 min departure delay (stuff happens) but the 'late substitution' aircraft was about as tired & scruffy as any I've seen on BA s/h. About 4 rows allocated to CE, but only eight pax in all. Very pleasant crew. 'Meal' service consisted of the dreaded 'traditional afternoon tea'. All-in-all, satisfactory but pretty underwhelming.

Fast forward, and I'm now looking at dates in the first week of June. LHR departure time with BA would suit me better than ZB's from LTN ; but a return with ZB will be better timing-wise. But here's the thing : why would I pay Ł444 for a two hour sector in CE versus Ł72 in ET ....?? The food in CE will be inferior to what I can buy in ET ; an exit row seat will offer more legroom. And I can do a lot at the destination with the Ł372 saving.

I'll be intrigued to see just what sort of promised 'improvements' to CE could conceivably make fare differences amounting at times to as much as several hundred pounds, between ET versus CE, a worthwhile proposition.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy

I was served Gordon’s (not the Bombay Sapphire offered for payment in ET),
Unlike the IBERIA Business service I took to and from Madrid a couple of weeks ago...Bombay Sapphire was free flowing from large bottles. They just kept pouring it until you said stop!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Writing this from my economy seat before take off IST -LHR and one question haunts me: Why didn't I fly TK instead?? Reasons: 1- free (excellent) food. 2- private screen entertainment. 3-excellent lounge (I'm star gold) 4- Cheaper! 5- newer plane.
I'm a one-world emerald, and I've been treated better with other BOB products, such as AA ORD-MIA. They recognized my status and handed me a nice snack pack & coffee. Never again BA unless they flip back, which I believe they will eventually.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by beduin
Writing this from my seat before take off IST -LHR and one question haunts me: Why didn't I fly TK instead?? Reasons: 1- free (excellent) food. 2- private screen entertainment. 3-excellent lounge (I'm star gold) 4- Cheaper! 5- newer plane.
So what tempted you to experience the 'enhanced experience' at BA?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I think someone on here should start a thread or wiki to observe flight loads for routes that they travel a lot and see if they change much with the new offering as that will be the only thing that makes BA change it's mind.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Originally Posted by layz
So what tempted you to experience the 'enhanced experience' at BA?
I wanted to connect to LBA which is nearer to my home. A direct TK flight to MAN would have been an excellent alternative. And I never knew this nonsense existed in the first place until I had a chat with the cabin crew. Disappointment is an understatement with this flight.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by mdj1
I think someone on here should start a thread or wiki to observe flight loads for routes that they travel a lot and see if they change much with the new offering as that will be the only thing that makes BA change it's mind.
on board a BA flight now IST-LHR load is around 30%
The good thing is that I have 2 rows in the back for a nice quiet sleep
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
My sister-in-law flew BA LGW-TFS-LGW last week in Y shortly after the BOB started. She was amazed how good the Cabin Crew were and she felt sorry for them because she was in the 6th row of economy and they had sold out of all food before they even reached her. She was pleased how well the crew handled the situation they were calm and apologetic to the many disgruntled passengers they even handed out complaint forms to the passengers. She said many passengers were being aggressive to the crew and she witnessed nearly every emotion from the upset passengers. The crew said that they didn't have any catering for the return flight. But B.A. got what they wanted more revenue as her husband upgraded her return leg to C.E. so she could get something to eat. She is not a frequent flyer maybe 4 times a year but feels it's a shame how BA have gone to pot... and she feels the magic of flying BA has now gone. I just hope the senior management have Kevlar shoes with all the shooting in the foot they have inflicted.
John
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by hungry
Or maybe the old seats back which were actually a bit bigger than economy
That would be my #1 requirement for using CE more regularly, especially on Bands 3-4.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by thejohn
My sister-in-law flew BA LGW-TFS-LGW last week in Y shortly after the BOB started.

The crew said that they didn't have any catering for the return flight. But B.A. got what they wanted more revenue as her husband upgraded her return leg to C.E. so she could get something to eat. She is not a frequent flyer maybe 4 times a year but feels it's a shame how BA have gone to pot... and she feels the magic of flying BA has now gone.....................
Wow !

That sounds like a very expensive way to 'buy' some food

So your sister-in-law would have happily survived the outward sector on a BoB sandwich & crisps etc - IF the crew had actually got to her before the food ran out (as early as row 6).

And yet she is not minded to simply buy a sandwich/bocadillo of choice - and/or whatever else appeals - at the airport in TFS to take onboard for her return flight .... ??
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by thejohn
But B.A. got what they wanted more revenue as her husband upgraded her return leg to C.E. so she could get something to eat.
John
tbh I would have had a good meal before going to the airport, or even at the airport, rather than pay Ł105 or so for an upgrade back from the Canaries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.