Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 11, 17, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, BCFC Season ticket
BA754 LHR-BSL today.

Nice shiny new brochures. Not many takers and some obvious teething trouble with payment mechanism but no significant problems. (Plastic) glasses of water being given out on request - poured from a 2L bottle at the same time as the rest of the service. Not sure if that was because the flight was quiet...
Old Jan 11, 17, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by A P Yu View Post
No Duty Free on an Non EU route - that's expensive!
Crew not ready after a LGW-RAK - That must be three hours? Interesting.
Longer : actually scheduled as 3h 45m
Old Jan 11, 17, 8:47 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
I always request tap water with ice unless my guest prefers bottled water. I would say when out with friends 99% of the time, everyone drinks tap water at restaurants - on business/entertaining it's probably about 50/50.

The thing I find interesting about this is in the past I've been told that the tank water was suitable for drinking unless it had been boiled - tea or coffee. I know many times I will see in the lavs signs that will say near the tap "not drinking water" or something to that effect.

I take it the water from the taps in the lavs is separate?
Potable water is safe to drink. We make the tea and coffee with it on all our aircraft and at altitude water boils at a much lower temperature than on the ground. In the nineties, we used to only offer potable water in all the cabins and only started to use bottled water due to the fashion for people to want to drink only bottled water came in.

There is a water tap in every galley which is where we would get you a glass of potable water from. The water in the toilet taps is also potable water but that is not where we would be going to get you a glass of water from.
Old Jan 11, 17, 8:51 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Is ID required as with tax free credit card purchases?
Old Jan 11, 17, 8:56 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently View Post
Is ID required as with tax free credit card purchases?
Not for BOB purchases but still for tax free.
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Littlegirl View Post
Potable water is safe to drink. We make the tea and coffee with it on all our aircraft and at altitude water boils at a much lower temperature than on the ground. In the nineties, we used to only offer potable water in all the cabins and only started to use bottled water due to the fashion for people to want to drink only bottled water came in.

There is a water tap in every galley which is where we would get you a glass of potable water from. The water in the toilet taps is also potable water but that is not where we would be going to get you a glass of water from.
Thanks - it's interesting I see on quite a few airlines not to drink water from the lavs.

Good luck - hope all works out well!
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by florens View Post
Really?
This will most likely have been an exBMI 319 where soace is more limited.
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MCM1 View Post
Sitting on LGW-AMS in CE. There is a M&S brochure in CE. Captain mentioned BOB in the flight announcement with "first day of a brace new world fir BA"
update: (that should say 'brave' instead of 'brace'')
chatted to the CSM and one of the CC. CSM said they really didn't know what to expect with BoB, but many of the CC had come from other airlines so we're used to it. She felt it would be more relevant to band 3 & 4 flights. The CC said they only sold about three items from his trolley and they were trying to get used to the machines.
They had two trolleys, one starting from back and one from front, not sure if that was just because it's such a short flight.
i glanced back from CE on descent and could see a lot of rubbish being collected, so that could of been because people had brought it on themselves.
Having had a couple of bacon rolls in the Clubrooms, I didn't have the Salad lunch, but the M&S brochure did look decent....but doesn't it always in marketing.
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Silver
LHR-KEF today, the card machine wasn't working so they had to manually write down everyone's card details. I was in row 12 (6th row of ET) and was around 1 hour after they started serving till I got offered. They didn't have time to finish the plane so gave complimentary water and juice to the customers not offered BOB items about 30 mins before landing.
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:08 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA) & Sapphire (QR), Star Alliance Gold (O6), SkyTeam Elite Plus (AZ)
Originally Posted by A P Yu View Post
No Duty Free on an Non EU route - that's expensive!
Crew not ready after a LGW-RAK - That must be three hours? Interesting.
I flew to RAK last year and the crew were so slow and disinterested they were still clearing the initial drinks/snack run up on final descent. I kid you not. Never underestimate a lazy crew.

Thankfully they are the exception rather than the norm.
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:09 am

Thanks - it's interesting I see on quite a few airlines not to drink water from the lavs.

Good luck - hope all works out well!
At BA, we only uplift potable water from downroute airports that have had their water tested by our staff. Some airlines may well pick up water from untested sources or be based at airports that we deem to have unsuitable potable water.

All potable water used by BA is safe to drink and to use for tea and coffee. Certain airports on our shorthaul and longhaul network are not used to uplift water at. The Captain and SCCMs are aware where we cannot pick water up from.
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Might be something to do with the cleanliness of the taps rather than the water itself?
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Littlegirl View Post
All potable water used by BA is safe to drink
It wouldn't be potable if it wasn't!
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
It wouldn't be potable if it wasn't!
Yes, I am aware what 'potable' means but my answer was to a question about the water in the toilet taps and why some airlines have placards saying not safe to drink.

All the water whether in bev makers, galley sinks or toilet taps comes from the same water tanks and on BA flights this water is safe to drink. I can't speak for other airlines and whether they call their water potable or not.
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
LHR-PSA today lunch time.

Crew constantly making the point that they had been trained in the new payment system 3 months ago and without further practice were struggling to remember how to work it (which became increasingly apparent). Considering the flight time the take up was poor and the food was served to those who did buy far too long before the drinks team could get their act together.

While I question whether the take up will improve much I see the crew becoming more adept as they get used to the system.

Search this Thread