Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel.return
The BA service stand on hot water is as follows: Hot water is to be served in a twinning tea cup, so as such should be charged as a tea .
Thanks. That's even worse than we previously heard Back to 'paying for hot water' I guess.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks. That's even worse than we previously heard Back to 'paying for hot water' I guess.
Hot water will be free if you provide your own cup. No policy on lemon
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
I've also found an interesting reaction to someone else's pre flight buy on board reaction. I'm not quite sure what the desired outcome of this BA twitter feed outburst was trying to achieve but found it vaguely amusing and worth a mention non the less. The reply even more so!
Attached Images  
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Washington DC
Hot water will be free if you provide your own cup. No policy on lemon
Lemon is complimentary, not included in the price of the drink and may be withdrawn at any time.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well it depends a bit on whether you are a glass half full person or a half empty person (under BoB full glasses have to be paid for, of course). Personally I thought it was a genuine reply, it was good to hear back quickly.
In a similar vein to the theory that The Queen thinks all of the UK smells of paint, I'm not sure we can extrapolate anything from the service level provide to someone who is probably in the top 0.1% of frequent travellers with BA
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
I've also found an interesting reaction to someone else's pre flight buy on board reaction. I'm not quite sure what the desired outcome of this BA twitter feed outburst was trying to achieve but found it vaguely amusing and worth a mention non the less. The reply even more so!
Given that the NCL-LHR sector isn't exactly long, it would be more sensible to arrive a few minutes earlier, relax and enjoy his (it won't be her) refreshments in the best BA lounge in the network. Better that than the drink leaking all over his laptop. Takes all sorts.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Given that the NCL-LHR sector isn't exactly long, it would be more sensible to arrive a few minutes earlier, relax and enjoy his (it won't be her) refreshments in the best BA lounge in the network. Better that than the drink leaking all over his laptop. Takes all sorts.
Now that'd just be too sensible!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Having held out on my outbound flight I decided to try BOB on my return from Frankfurt last night.

I won't be doing this much but I was thirsty and wanted to see how the process works. I paid by Avios, the lady had no idea how to scan the barcode on my phone, we both tried waving my phone at various bits of her ipad for a minute and then gave up and entered my name and card number manually - this worked very quickly, so quickly I wonder if her system actually checked that my name and number matched....

Sandwiches and salads were selling well on this evening flight, I suspect the reduction in service over the last few years has worked its trick and people are glad of this opportunity to actually have a meal on a 90 minute flight. I noted the vast majority were taking receipts and filing them away carefully so I presume businesses up and down the country will be paying for the majority of the food bought on board.

One lady bought two bags of Percy Pigs - could be a lucrative revenue stream. I'm more of a Colin the caterpillar man myself.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ivanerr
Has anyone flown to DME yet? Is it BoB or not?
Hi Ivanerr, I can confirm that DME is catered because it's techincally classed as a long haul route!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by MFMainCrew
Hi Ivanerr, I can confirm that DME is catered because it's techincally classed as a long haul route!
Well hello MFMainCrew and welcome to the Flyertalk and the BA Board!

It's always good to see new members here and especially staffers so thanks for that insight and may we see more of you in the future. ^^

This one gets used now and again for your info

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...k-staffer.html
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Perhaps i'm in the acceptance stage of grieving , but i quite enjoy the choice that BOB brings. Its nice having a big tea and the polished crew on my Pisa flight were very efficient in doing the service with no apparent problems.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MFMainCrew
Yes, another welcome to MFMainCrew - great to see another crew member onboard ^
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I flew two BOB flights this week

1210 EDI-LGW on Wednesday and 1915 LGW-EDI on thursday.

On both flights Bob seemed to go reasonably well with a number of sales bieng made

I was in row 1 both ways so was the first to be served. What seemed to take the time was keying in the order to get the price. The card machines worked fine and my neighbour in row 1 used his app to pay by Avios.

On the flight back the senior crew member walked down the aisle first taking orders for the hot food first.

I was not particularly impresses with the coffee as there was a lot of ground coffee bits in the coffee even after stirring and it was easy to get more in your mouth at the end of the cup.

I had a coffee, a diet coke ( the crew provided a cup with ice and lemon) and a whippy bar ( £5.10 total). I had grabbed a sandwich in WH smith prior to boarding

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948
So to sum the whole thing:
- 3 transactions (9 minutes)
- total: £12:75
So the crew made 26p each (taking that it was a 3 cc flight) on that flight from BoB? There was a thread a few days before the new short haul era of crew overhead saying the can't wait until the end full service, thinking it was going to be great. I bet they take that back now for all the reasons Secretsquirrel.return has mentioned.

If true the perishable food items have to get binned, plus the costs to transport/store/stock the items on the trolley, the numbers don't add up. All the above can't be covered by £11, and logic says you would have to sell a reasonable high % of your stock to cover the supply costs (In a store you can leave a sandwich on the shelf a day or two, and some supermarkets then discount it to finally shift it - you can't send perishable items out over and over until they sell with this BA supply model, so a much higher % must be getting binned). Someone is loosing money here, and thanks to this messy supply arrangement, it is probably not BA, who are no longer have to pay for the ET food drink they did pre 11 Jan. The crew will be made the scapegoats no doubt. I am sure a BA bean counter than only looks and numbers thinks it is great.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I was on last night's 1950 EDI-LGW in row 4, there weren't any takers until about row 6, and the service was over in about 20 minutes (is this quick?) I saw the CC crew go back to the galley about 3 times to fetch a cup of water.

Most of those who were sat near me and didn't buy anything, I recognised from the lounge so perhaps they'd already had something in there? I did think about taking a can and a bag of crisps from the lounge on board, but I actually felt too guilty to do it(!) so I just enjoyed a Tribune Ale and a bag of chilli kettle chips in there instead.

I don't know if it's at all related or just coincidence but the sandwiches and soup seemed to have been hit pretty hard - I didn't notice anyone filling a flask or packing a picnic basket though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.