Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Was thinking that myself when they have much shorter flight times than many daily commutes to work by road and train.

Pity BA weren't allowed to sell food and drink at the gate to those arriving early waiting to board.
Good point about selling food and drink at the gate, but then wouldn't people just go to Boots/WH Smiths etc to pick stuff up?

Have you checked out Air Asia's website lately? They have a whole area on buying food as you book your seats/luggage. Pretty good system, something BA could consider?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
That makes sense - thanks.

So I had the rare experience of getting something for nothing from BA? Normally the other way around for me.
Ha ha, yep - unheard of!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SgtRyan

Have you checked out Air Asia's website lately? They have a whole area on buying food as you book your seats/luggage. Pretty good system, something BA could consider?
I did this when I flew with them a couple of years ago, it works really well! They have your food assigned to your seat number, they quickly check your boarding pass before giving you your food. Quick, easy and quite affordable (at the time due to the exchange rate).
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by streetmagix
I did this when I flew with them a couple of years ago, it works really well! They have your food assigned to your seat number, they quickly check your boarding pass before giving you your food. Quick, easy and quite affordable (at the time due to the exchange rate).
Still very affordable (RM 10 or Ł1.80 for a hot cooked meal).

The new pre-booking process also makes you select the free drink: water, tea/coffee or carbonated drink. It speeds up the process even further as cabin crew don't have to ask for your drink selection and can just dispense.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:49 pm

The service on yesterday's flight to GVA, reminded me of the first week when terminal 5 was opened! A total mess.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Was thinking that myself when they have much shorter flight times than many daily commutes to work by road and train.

Pity BA weren't allowed to sell food and drink at the gate to those arriving early waiting to board.

Well yes, except a 45 minute flight is blocked at 1 hour 30, plus boarding time, deboarding time, and then pax on connections. Suddenly your 'short hop' is several hours. And frankly, pax get on the plane with an expectation, whether free or not, that there will be something they can eat/drink, and plan that way. Who is anyone to judge them? Many pax now are not even getting offered a water, that is appalling.

I think BA may regret all the PR around this. Would've been much, much better to introduce it quietly, and most pax probably wouldn't have noticed. The absolute shambles certainly will be noticed even by people who didn't want to buy anything.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nallison
Would've been much, much better to introduce it quietly, and most pax probably wouldn't have noticed. The absolute shambles certainly will be noticed even by people who didn't want to buy anything.
You think most people wouldn't notice if cabin crew suddenly started asking for credit cards when providing the drinks service??
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by McG
Sounds like this should have been rolled out on the Domestic services for a couple of months first. Would have let the crews get up to speed on single class shortish sectors before rolling it out across the rest of SH.
Actually, that'd be the worst place to trial it on. Put it on the longer flights where they can take their time and learn it so that crew can get use to it. Doing it on an MAN or EDI where the cruise is between 15-45 minutes is not helping. If you look at this the majority of issues are coming on the short sectors where crew are under pressure before they've even commenced to get everyone served.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
Actually, that'd be the worst place to trial it on. Put it on the longer flights where they can take their time and learn it so that crew can get use to it. Doing it on an MAN or EDI where the cruise is between 15-45 minutes is not helping. If you look at this the majority of issues are coming on the short sectors where crew are under pressure before they've even commenced to get everyone served.
Majority yes, but when the service can't be completed on a Malaga or Marrakech (both reported) then something is very very wrong.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by TWEED1A
No hot fresh items served on flights with under 30 minutes AST (available service time).

There are, ex-LHR: AMS / BRU / CDG / LBA / MAN / NCL / ​ORY / RTM

Ex-LGW: JER / AMS

Hope that helps.
Yet easyJet can manage hot items on the AMS
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Yet easyJet can manage hot items on the AMS
IMO it serves no purpose eliminating hot items on the short ones,

A) Not many will purchase anything, so time constraints are not too bad.
B) For the one that does want to purchase food it really takes no time to serve it.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

My observations from yesterday evening's AMS-LHR. This flight commanded a healthy uptake in sales. Crew appeared to manage each transaction efficiently and it seemed everyone who wanted to purchase F&B were able to do so in the very short time available although sales did continue right up to the Flight Crew's we're beginning our approach into Heathrow PA.

My Avios purchase was the crew member's first experience of this type, she seemed a little hesitant at first but she completed the sale successfully in under a minute.

One closing observation: the hot chocolate seems to be a very popular choice, if this flight is anything to go by.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Majority yes, but when the service can't be completed on a Malaga or Marrakech (both reported) then something is very very wrong.
Well, I did get asked by BA Crew yesterday at Gatwick how my airline manages BoB and had a nice discussion about it.

1 - 4 Crew Members focussed on it, whereas BA seem to have 1 or 2 for CE and 3-4 for BoB. If you have 3, you've lost the war before the battle has even started.

2 - An iPad and a phone? We have a single hand held device which takes care of everything. We even take cash in most currencies!

3 - Lack of Training / Knowledge / Know How. One of the last things I learnt in training was how to use the epos system. I also have the plus, of not having 3/4/5 other crew who don't know the system either. I must've done about 10 sectors on the bistro service of just learning the epos system whilst the more regular individual served and helped me if needed. Compare this to BA where the entire crew are new to the system, they're training happened last year and it turns out they were trained on a prototype of a draft... not even the final product. So many of the questions the crew asked were answered with "well we're not sure yet" "well there's a few bugs"

The implementation team responsible for the BoB, literally have set the crew up to fail.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
3 - Lack of Training / Knowledge / Know How. One of the last things I learnt in training was how to use the epos system. I also have the plus, of not having 3/4/5 other crew who don't know the system either. I must've done about 10 sectors on the bistro service of just learning the epos system whilst the more regular individual served and helped me if needed. Compare this to BA where the entire crew are new to the system, they're training happened last year and it turns out they were trained on a prototype of a draft... not even the final product. So many of the questions the crew asked were answered with "well we're not sure yet" "well there's a few bugs"

The implementation team responsible for the BoB, literally have set the crew up to fail.
Thank you for posting, and a warm welcome to the BA FlyerTalk forum. It's particularly great to see members of the 'trade' here, even from other carriers.

Your post is enlightening, it does suggest that BoB was rushed in (perhaps to boost the Q4 profits and bolster the bonuses of the beancounters). It appears BA were keen to get BoB operating as quickly as possible. It would have made more sense to me to have commenced BoB with the introduction of Club Europe on domestics. As it is, lots of negative publicity.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Some
Deleted - already posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.