Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 14, 17, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
AMS - LGW last night only managed to serve about 5 rows!!
Old Jan 14, 17, 2:31 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Sounds like this should have been rolled out on the Domestic services for a couple of months first. Would have let the crews get up to speed on single class shortish sectors before rolling it out across the rest of SH.
Old Jan 14, 17, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Sounds like this should have been rolled out on the Domestic services for a couple of months first. Would have let the crews get up to speed on single class shortish sectors before rolling it out across the rest of SH.
No, only 99.99% of companies would indeed think of running a pilot before fully implementing such a vast chance, and it would be unfair to expect BA to do like those 99.99%

That said, again, I think that the technical difficulties will be ironed out sooner rather than later as long as people complain about anything that is unacceptable to them (like DP practice etc). What will be left is the concept and people should decide whether that is an enjoyable one to them or not on given flights and itineraries. If people are happy with the concept, there would be little point in worrying about the technical implementation in, say, a month or so as things will be functional then.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 14, 17 at 3:33 am
Old Jan 14, 17, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
No, there should a barcode in the App version of BA.com, when online, under My Account, below your BAEC status description and above your Avios / Tier Point totals. This is supposed to be scanned into the iPad, or they can just use the BAEC card to input surname and BAEC number. If you switch your App to Flight Safe mode, as you should do onboard, and then enter My Account for the first time whilst offline, no barcode comes up. If you had checked this when online and then navigated back to the screen without leaving the App, then it stays there.
I wonder if the issue is that it's not a QR code. Having tried scanning the in app barcode using the Redlaser app it really struggled - 10-15 attempts before it read it. Presumably they're using the iPad camera to read the barcode? I think QR codes are easier to recognise and more fault tolerant. It is slightly odd why they didn't use a QR code that regenerates with the latest Avios balance embedded too.
Old Jan 14, 17, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, EK Skywards Blue
First flight with BoB, LHR-CPH on BA418 this morning.

System was unable to connect up apparently - which meant no onboard service available - some v unhappy passengers - crew ended up shutting the curtain of the galley as I guess they had nothing else to do!?
Old Jan 14, 17, 4:04 am

No shiny menu for me. Assume when they move the curtain forward and back, not only do they not remove the business traveller magazine, but don't add a menu too.
Old Jan 14, 17, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Yeah, yeah - use Scotland as a guinea pig for new taxes again, just like Thatcher!
Old Jan 14, 17, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't think this has been posted yet. Full BoB menu from today.

Old Jan 14, 17, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by londonba2014 View Post
First flight with BoB, LHR-CPH on BA418 this morning.

System was unable to connect up apparently - which meant no onboard service available - some v unhappy passengers - crew ended up shutting the curtain of the galley as I guess they had nothing else to do!?
How entirely pathetic. In these situations, BA crew should be instructed to provide complimentary (non-alcoholic) beverages, at minimum.
Old Jan 14, 17, 4:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
KARFA, it's already in the Information thread linked above, but some of your images are sharper than mine so I may purloin some of your pictures. I've got the Imageshack URLs.
Old Jan 14, 17, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, EK Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by makin'miles View Post
How entirely pathetic. In these situations, BA crew should be instructed to provide complimentary (non-alcoholic) beverages, at minimum.
Totally agree - they were offering the tap water 😷. I personally hope the whole goes to pot and its goes back to complimentary..
Old Jan 14, 17, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by makin'miles View Post
Why? We can't live without food or drink for 2 hours? We are adults, not babies, and have the capacity to tolerate frustration.
Old Jan 14, 17, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First BoB experience today, LBA-LHR 0920d BA1347

0927- take off
0929 - PA about shortly starting onboard service and that payment by debit/credit card or avios, but not cash
0930 - crew up
0931 - seat belt signs off
0933 - serving begins, was first served went for coffee and paid using avios using card. Crew mentioned first time taking avios as a payment. Crew member at rear of trolley processed payment, CSD at front of trolley served drink. Asked if I wanted a receipt, said no. Took about a minute in total. Next purchase didn't seem to be until row 6/7. Front trolley seems to carry on past row 10 and on to rear half of plane.
0947 - trolley back to front galley, crew seen heading back out of galley with cup of water presumably for a passenger.
0952 - flight deck update on progress
0954 - first rubbish run
0955 - enter hold
1008 - 10 minutes call
1022 - landed.

No hot food on GLA-LHR this morning. It would've been a full breakfast flight too were it not for BoB. So much for more choice..
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
KARFA, it's already in the Information thread linked above, but some of your images are sharper than mine so I may purloin some of your pictures. I've got the Imageshack URLs.
Ah, sorry. I had seen the odd page with a photo or two but hadn't seen your post. Yes, please feel free to borrow.

Search this Thread