Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74

I swore I would never use BoB on BA and to this day still haven’t. I wobbled on my last flight and nearly bought a bottle of water but stuck to my guns 😬

S
... and the dehydration was SO worth it!
wilsnunn and Cotumely like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:46 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by flashware
... and the dehydration was SO worth it!
It was a 55 minute flight. I survived 🙂
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

I swore I would never use BoB on BA and to this day still haven’t. I wobbled on my last flight and nearly bought a bottle of water but stuck to my guns 😬

S
If you don't mind drinking tap tank water, you could ask for a cup of water for free when traveling on Euro Traveller. Some crews doesn't give free water during the trolley run but after the run has finished, you could either ask at the rear galley or hit the call button.
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor

S
Well you would have got free water on the Edinburgh flight this week. All the BOB machines were broken and everyone in Y was given a free cup of water.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by martin102

Well you would have got free water on the Edinburgh flight this week. All the BOB machines were broken and everyone in Y was given a free cup of water.
And no option to buy food? Not that it's a particularly long flight, but if you'd rushed to get to the airport and thought you'd get a snack on board to tide you over you'd be disappointed. I had it happen once on Qantas on a SYD-BNE flight where I'd worked through lunch to leave early and they even put me on an earlier flight at the airport (literally, leaving 10 mins after I got to the airport! - pre Sep 11, 2001 so not as much security to go through) and I was looking forward to a snack of sorts but all we got was booze and nuts - and this was J! I wasn't able to ask the crew about food as I was talking to lady for the entire flight who was either trying to sell me her plastic surgeon skills or a functioning alcoholic by the way she was knocking them back!!

BA should at least offer everyone a cup of water by default. Swiss go down the plane handing out their "snack" (maybe because it was a morning flight it was a sweet bread roll with jam) and a bottle of water, to all those who bought the standard fare. Those on the HBO fare got a cup of water and offered a chocolate along with the rest of us. Can be more than few pennies, but at least you get probably the only interaction with an airline employee these days, given who check in and soon boarding is becoming so automated.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by dddc
all we got was booze and nuts - and this was J! I wasn't able to ask the crew about food as I was talking to lady for the entire flight who was either trying to sell me her plastic surgeon skills or a functioning alcoholic by the way she was knocking them back!!
Whats wrong with that? And, it wasn't me...
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Grace B
Whats wrong with that? And, it wasn't me...
BECAUSE I WAS HUNGRY!!!!

I am a food monster rather than a drink monster. And Qantas were doing some pretty great short haul meals back then!!
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by dddc
And no option to buy food? Not that it's a particularly long flight, but if you'd rushed to get to the airport and thought you'd get a snack on board to tide you over you'd be disappointed. I had it happen once on Qantas on a SYD-BNE flight where I'd worked through lunch to leave early and they even put me on an earlier flight at the airport (literally, leaving 10 mins after I got to the airport! - pre Sep 11, 2001 so not as much security to go through) and I was looking forward to a snack of sorts but all we got was booze and nuts - and this was J! I wasn't able to ask the crew about food as I was talking to lady for the entire flight who was either trying to sell me her plastic surgeon skills or a functioning alcoholic by the way she was knocking them back!!

BA should at least offer everyone a cup of water by default. Swiss go down the plane handing out their "snack" (maybe because it was a morning flight it was a sweet bread roll with jam) and a bottle of water, to all those who bought the standard fare. Those on the HBO fare got a cup of water and offered a chocolate along with the rest of us. Can be more than few pennies, but at least you get probably the only interaction with an airline employee these days, given who check in and soon boarding is becoming so automated.
Sadly after BoB started, interactions with FAs completely vanished. I don’t even remember flying BA anymore and I use them quite often.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by martin102

how generous and customer friendly!!!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:20 pm

FYI - Flying back from Vienna this evening on the 705, the new summer 2019/BA 100 celebrations menu was available.

Lots of bumf about the 100 celebrations, it did look a bit more professional than previous versions and certainly an improvement in the range of drinks and snacks available including:
  • Afternoon tea with scone, Jam and cream etc.
  • Tanqueray replaces Bombay as the standard gin
  • New BA Speedbird 100 beer + another new Brewdog beer
  • New BA 100 Pickering's Gin collaboration
  • Pinkster Pink Gin (With a sachet of something to make it a cocktail)
  • I think a new champagne 375ml Bottle priced at Ł17, which seemed quite good value.
  • Schweppes mixers replace fever tree (Slimline tonic, cucumber tonic, ginger ale, tomato)
  • I think a change to the sandwich range - but I wouldn't have remembered what was there before.
  • STILL NO FULL FAT TONIC!!
Sorry I didn't take pictures as I was with my other half, who would have thought I'd lost my marbles. .

Also, when I went to the back for my second round, the great crew offered a choice of gins including Bombay as they have old stock to clear, so maybe worth asking over the nex week or so, if you liked any of the previous products that are no longer technically available.

Last edited by Joshm300; May 1, 2019 at 4:59 am
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Joshm300
FYI - Flying back from Vienna this evening on the 705, the new summer 2019/BA 100 celebrations menu was available.

Lots of bumf about the 100 celebrations, it did look a bit more professional than previous versions and certainly an improvement in the range of drinks and snacks available including:
  • New BA and (i think sipsmith) 100 celebration Gin
  • I think a new champagne 375ml Bottle priced at Ł17, which seemed quite good value.
  • Schweppes mixers replace fever tree (Slimline tonic, cucumber tonic, ginger ale, tomato)
  • I think a change to the sandwich range - but I wouldn't have remembered what was there before.
  • STILL NO FULL FAT TONIC!!
Sorry I didn't take pictures as I was with my other half, who would have thought I'd lost my marbles. .

Also, when I went to the back for my second round, the great crew offered a choice of gins including Bombay as they have old stock to clear, so maybe worth asking over the nex week or so, if you liked any of the previous products that are no longer technically available.
The new range come on board May 1st (apart from aircraft spending the night away from home which will be recatered when they arrive at LHR/LGW). There is no winding down of old stock. To ensure that all aircraft have new brochures, they have been loading them over the last couple of days. Our expert aircraft grooming teams however have misunderstood the clear instructions given, and on a large part of the fleet, chucked the old brochures away instead of removing them after May 1st. At least you've managed to see the new range, those of us that are on a couple of days off will have out first experience with the new products (new coffee that comes in a bag, hot chocolate that comes with marshmallows) will be when we open the trolley as the company have decided to keep us in the dark about what we're flogging!
truncated and MFCC like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
FYI - Flying back from Vienna this evening on the 705
  • New BA and (i think sipsmith) 100 celebration Gin
  • Schweppes mixers replace fever tree (Slimline tonic, cucumber tonic, ginger ale, tomato

Oh! That seems a backwards step (in bold). I can only guess that Fever Tree was too expensive?
florens likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Oh! That seems a backwards step (in bold). I can only guess that Fever Tree was too expensive?
Perhaps Fever Tree gave them a good deal to get the exposure and have now raised the price. It had the desired effect in my case as I now buy Fever Tree. AA also have it in the ORD Flagship Lounge.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:20 am

Do BA lounges still have Fever Tree, or did that get replaced with Schweppes as well?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:26 am

Does anyone have any experience of multiple charges from BOB? I used touch to pay and have been charges 3 times for the same purchase.

Thanks in advance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.