Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Even pre BOB you’d get only a pack of lemon melts or some crisps, never been anything decent on domestic other than breakfast.

At least BOB lets you get a sandwich!
Which is perfectly fine as I still got a free drink or two.

And yes, a sandwich is lovely if the crew has time to serve you or there is enough loaded that is.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Does anyone think that (especially as they are now charging to the privilege) there should be some sort of hot food on a dinner time flight?
Not if the demand is not there, no. When BoB was first introduced on many airlines, the starting point was offering relatively ambitious menus that included hot dishes. As time went on, they realised that the demand just was not there and it was not economical to keep offering such menus and they scaled it back. If the demand for hot food on a particular service is small and haphazard, it probably does not make sense for the airline to offer it.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I just moved up to Gold for the first time so thanks to everyone here for all their help and advice, and thanks to Qatar for their ex-oslo Australian deals.

I flew, unusually, out of heathrow yesterday instead of my beloved LCY and on boarding was informed that 'of course, we'll be offering you a complementary drink of your choice after take off, just let us know what you want'. I asked for a whisky and was presented with a real glass and some J whisky from up front, very welcome, not at all expected and was even offered more but was feeling a little self conscious to order seconds. I guess I'm just too british.

I really hope this becomes a thing, I think this was just an exceptional crew but it did make me feel valued.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
I just moved up to Gold for the first time so thanks to everyone here for all their help and advice, and thanks to Qatar for their ex-oslo Australian deals.

I flew, unusually, out of heathrow yesterday instead of my beloved LCY and on boarding was informed that 'of course, we'll be offering you a complementary drink of your choice after take off, just let us know what you want'. I asked for a whisky and was presented with a real glass and some J whisky from up front, very welcome, not at all expected and was even offered more but was feeling a little self conscious to order seconds. I guess I'm just too british.

I really hope this becomes a thing, I think this was just an exceptional crew but it did make me feel valued.
I've only ever had it happen twice, and normally it's about 5 minutes before the "10 minutes to landing" notice is given.... that to me makes it very much like an afterthought/leftovers kind of deal!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was on a packed flight from LHR to TXL (Berlin) yesterday - as far as I could see, there were just two empty seats in Euro Traveller. Despite this, only four sandwiches had been loaded - one turkey, one vegetarian and two ham and cheese - and all were sold to the first two rows. There seemed to be a lot of passengers who had had quite short transfers at LHR, and some were far from impressed that they were not even able to buy something to eat.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
.................. Despite this, only four sandwiches had been loaded - one turkey, one vegetarian and two ham and cheese - and all were sold to the first two rows. There seemed to be a lot of passengers who had had quite short transfers at LHR, and some were far from impressed that they were not even able to buy something to eat.
We’ve seen many similar reports since Mr Bob arrived.

i guess it’s the new (well ... not so new at this point) strategy under the Cruz regime, where the idea is to trim service standards but fill seats whilst maximising profits : Treat ‘em mean, Keep ‘em keen !
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
BA716 today (LHR-ZRH).
So they have the new BoB menu in the aircraft but the new items were not loaded. Poor experience once again with BA in ET. I should be used to it by now I guess. When will BA finally get it right? The new menu is still uninspiring and they have mostly the same food items again. Still no salads or other healthy options. Only sandwiches. No wonder uptake was small on our flight, I only could see about 5 transactions and BoB service was completed within 10 minutes.

Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
BA540, Bologna back to London, 03/02/19. Very full A319

I decided to indulge in a nice JD and Coke, something I normally have in the lounge but the Bologna Lounge didn't have any Jack Daniels. I was in the exit row (10) with 8 rows of CE so I got served pretty quickly. The first card machine rejected my Android Pay outright, the flight member of the cabin crew mentioned that contactless was dodgy on that machine. I offered to get my physical card from my backpack but the other crew member got the other machine instead from the rear of the aircraft. This rejected my British Airways branded AMEX but worked with my Halifax Mastercard (both Android Pay). They both quipped how bad the machines were and apologised for the delay. I also overheard them saying they only had 2 of something loaded, possibly sandwiches. On a lunchtime flight. On a full A319. On a Sunday.

I might give it another 2 years until I try BoB again, it's not exactly an amazing experience.
Calchas and kaizenflying like this.

Last edited by streetmagix; Feb 7, 2019 at 12:23 am Reason: Wrong date for flight
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by streetmagix

I decided to indulge in a nice JD and Coke, something I normally have in the lounge but the Bologna Lounge didn't have any Jack Daniels. I was in the exit row (10) with 8 rows of CE so I got served pretty quickly. The first card machine rejected my Android Pay outright, the flight member of the cabin crew mentioned that contactless was dodgy on that machine. I offered to get my physical card from my backpack but the other crew member got the other machine instead from the rear of the aircraft. This rejected my British Airways branded AMEX but worked with my Halifax Mastercard (both Android Pay). They both quipped how bad the machines were and apologised for the delay. I also overheard them saying they only had 2 of something loaded, possibly sandwiches. On a lunchtime flight. On a full A319. On a Sunday.

I might give it another 2 years until I try BoB again, it's not exactly an amazing experience.
I think that Android Pay doesn’t actually work with our machines. We’ve been told that sometimes the machine will accept the transaction and produce a receipt, but once on the ground and the payment has gone through it’ll be rejected - at which point it’s too late, so the crew shouldn’t have accepted this as a form of payment; unless something has changed! Apple Pay works fine.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold

Forget about BoB... It is bread bread and more uninspiring bread that if they manage to load more than one sandwich per flight.
Move over to AF/KL as they have recently improved their Y shorthaul catering with fresh items. Even cabin crews are eating them.
With reintegration of JOON, BoB will disappear once for all as per AF cabin crew leaving BA a so called premium airline in the cold.

Impressed with the new Air France Economy service!
psollitt and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

They both quipped how bad the machines were and apologised for the delay. I also overheard them saying they only had 2 of something loaded, possibly sandwiches. On a lunchtime flight. On a full A319. On a Sunday.

If you try again in 2 years, I do wonder whether or not it will, by then, have improved noticeably. And yet, it would surely not require too much effort to make it a much better experience (albeit maybe not an ‘amazing’ one !) than it currently is .... ?

Payment issues aside, the poor level of onboard availability, as you highlight above, is clearly a key factor.

When BoB was first launched, the CEO claimed that it was prompted by feedback from passengers who told BA that they were happy to pay for a greater choice of food & drink in ET. But ..... even if we accept that argument at face value, there seems little merit in supplying flights inadequately, leaving some passengers to feel that they would prefer the guarantee of being given limited refreshments - but at least something, as previously - to the lottery of managing - sometimes, and sometimes not - to buy the last available sandwich.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
The payment went through a few hours later so no issues with me not paying, I guess that's why my first payment was rejected. Apple Pay and Android Pay are conceptually the same/similar so I'm not 100% sure why one is officially accepted and the other not, obviously being in the air without internet makes all sorts of card and contactless payments tricky! All the time I have lounge access I probably won't bother with BoB, I do wish they'd switch to the Finnair model of free soft and hot drinks though.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Having sworn I'd never ever buy anything on board, I now do on practically every flight that I take in Y/ET. I am particularly partial to a cup of tea. Yet incredibly, on the last three occasions that I've ordered a tea, I've only received the hot water, the milk, sugar etc but no tea bag. And by the time I've noticed the crew have moved on and I end up having to wave arms, press call bells etc. It's always resolved with a smile and good humour (on both sides) but I am going to try and see if I can keep this rich vein of form going.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Even pre BOB you’d get only a pack of lemon melts or some crisps, never been anything decent on domestic other than breakfast.

At least BOB lets you get a sandwich!
There used to be salads on the evening domestics and sandwiches at lunch time too. This was a good few years ago however.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:42 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Having sworn I'd never ever buy anything on board, I now do on practically every flight that I take in Y/ET. I am particularly partial to a cup of tea. Yet incredibly, on the last three occasions that I've ordered a tea, I've only received the hot water, the milk, sugar etc but no tea bag. And by the time I've noticed the crew have moved on and I end up having to wave arms, press call bells etc. It's always resolved with a smile and good humour (on both sides) but I am going to try and see if I can keep this rich vein of form going.
I swore I would never use BoB on BA and to this day still haven’t. I wobbled on my last flight and nearly bought a bottle of water but stuck to my guns 😬

S
Jed and TRISTAR1979 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.