Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 13, 18, 11:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 9, 18, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

BA cityflyer hasnít made the transition to BoB yet so itís still free drinks and snacks in ET.
Let's hope it stays that way! For two reasons: it keeps the LCY services special (even when they were operated by BA Connect, a BoB airline, they kept LCY complimentary) and also I'd worry it'd affect the CE service.
kingstontoon and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 9, 18, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Tried BOB on flight tonight. A lot of kids as it's half term, so I guess that would have had an impact, but service was slow. And I was thirsty because the cabin temp was ridiculously hot. Not great. There are still people that haven't clocked that they have to pay even for drinks. We are over a year on and I still think it's been a very poor decision, but made so much worse by poor execution.
Old Feb 9, 18, 9:49 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
It'll go the way of Japan, where you take food on board if you want to eat. Not a problem if you expect it.
Old Feb 10, 18, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by flyuk View Post
It'll go the way of Japan, where you take food on board if you want to eat. Not a problem if you expect it.
Presume you mean domestic Japan flights? I flew on JAL in Y from Taipei to Haneda on Thursday. Full tray of food provided plus two drinks runs in completely full plane on a 2.5 hour flight.
Old Feb 10, 18, 12:17 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Mapman View Post

Presume you mean domestic Japan flights? I flew on JAL in Y from Taipei to Haneda on Thursday. Full tray of food provided plus two drinks runs in completely full plane on a 2.5 hour flight.
Yeah. Y domestic on JAL and ANA don't include anything except for a drink. Most people take on a bento or rice ball.
Old Feb 10, 18, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I find this M&S Buy on Board thing to be largely crap tbh. Coming back from AGP on quite a light flight you're understandably a bit peckish at 00:30... there was nothing dairy free (dietary requirements are very poorly catered for from this range) so that was my girlfriend going hungry for a bit while I necked down the gin.

Coming back the other day from AMS, I hear that they don't stock toasties that are advertised in the booklet because it'd take too long...

Some of the powers that be or at least somebody in BA will see all this but alas nobody cares what we think, clearly customers expect too much lol.
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:51 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by layz View Post
Let's hope it stays that way! For two reasons: it keeps the LCY services special (even when they were operated by BA Connect, a BoB airline, they kept LCY complimentary) and also I'd worry it'd affect the CE service.
donít hold your breath, BA is stubborn and wants to prove BoB is a success and the way to go for Y SH even though customers are still praising the LCY service on social media. On twitter whenever, they get praised for the service, BA answers that they are happy customers enjoyed the complementary service and ask them to look forward for M&S menu sometime in 2018. Delusional!
Old Feb 10, 18, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Lord Jon View Post
I find this M&S Buy on Board thing to be largely crap tbh. Coming back from AGP on quite a light flight you're understandably a bit peckish at 00:30... there was nothing dairy free (dietary requirements are very poorly catered for from this range) so that was my girlfriend going hungry for a bit while I necked down the gin.

Coming back the other day from AMS, I hear that they don't stock toasties that are advertised in the booklet because it'd take too long...

Some of the powers that be or at least somebody in BA will see all this but alas nobody cares what we think, clearly customers expect too much lol.
I never realized there was dairy in gin
Old Feb 10, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
Full flight on A321 from Fco to Lhr last week. Food trolleys hopelessly under catered as usual. 14 sandwiches loaded for approx 200 passengers in Economy on a lunchtime flight. Cabin crew clearly fed up with having to apologise for BAís failings as they told me they report back daily with requests for more snacks, only to be ignored. Just how stupid, arrogant or both are the mandarins in Waterside Towers? More than a year since complimentary f&b were removed and still they canít get the catering levels right. Sad to see a once great airline decline so far and with no interest in restoring its tarnished reputation.

If it is so difficult for BA to get the inventory levels right, perhaps they would be better off removing all food and stick to drinks only.
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
Full flight on A321 from Fco to Lhr last week. Food trolleys hopelessly under catered as usual. 14 sandwiches loaded for approx 200 passengers in Economy on a lunchtime flight. and still they canít get the catering levels right. ..................Sad to see a once great airline decline so far and with no interest in restoring its tarnished reputation.

Simply beggars belief.

Difficult to decide whether itís a matter of sorrow or laughter when we see the (increasingly) rare poster claiming that BoB is working very well really, now that the early teething troubles have been ironed out...............
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:17 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
If it is so difficult for BA to get the inventory levels right, perhaps they would be better off removing all food and stick to drinks only.
Not to mention the payment process. Seems to fail rather frequently in my experience.
jamessnewman likes this.
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold & honoured with a Mucci des Zones de Tranquilitť . Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
My impression is that Ba dont really want to cater for ecomomy passengers. They probably have to provide something morally ( legally ) and provide the minimum required to pass that bar.

They can say what they want about their BOB but everybody with half a brain knows its hopelessly undercatered and they must be aware of it a year in.
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
My impression is that Ba dont really want to cater for ecomomy passengers. They probably have to provide something morally ( legally ) and provide the minimum required to pass that bar.

They can say what they want about their BOB but everybody with half a brain knows its hopelessly undercatered and they must be aware of it a year in.
I think that just about sums it up. After all this time it's quite obvious now that BoB was just a way to get shot of all the hassle (and cost) of having to provide food and drinks for every passenger. I'm sure those at the top who care nothing about hospitality are glad the dumped the complimentary stuff. More than likely they just see whatever they make now as a bonus.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 14, 18, 1:52 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post

Difficult to decide whether itís a matter of sorrow or laughter when we see the (increasingly) rare poster claiming that BoB is working very well really, now that the early teething troubles have been ironed out...............
Quite. Even the stalwarts on here who seem never to witness any issues whatsoever don't seem to be as vocal recently.

In saying that, 3 BA SH Y flights in the last week saw BOB options - 2 flights were problem free (I even used a handful of Avios for a sparkling water!), and the other flight the trolley made it to row 11 or 12 before having to be stored in preparation for landing.
Old Feb 14, 18, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze (!)
It's astonishing just how much better the experience is on a short haul flight out of London City. I got all I needed on board, a cup of coffee and a biscuit to refresh me rather than a long wait for a bucket of oversized cafeine which comes with instructions on how to drink that one has to gulp down.
Nothing will change until WW and his Accenture puppet-CEO move on, but there is a case for this and I wonder if Cruz Control's successor might see half decent complimentary catering in short haul as a quick win.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Search this Thread