Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 13, 18, 11:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Feb 9, 18, 11:27 am
  #2191  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mostly UK
Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Posts: 10,640
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post


BA cityflyer hasnít made the transition to BoB yet so itís still free drinks and snacks in ET.
Let's hope it stays that way! For two reasons: it keeps the LCY services special (even when they were operated by BA Connect, a BoB airline, they kept LCY complimentary) and also I'd worry it'd affect the CE service.
kingstontoon and KARFA like this.
layz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 18, 3:02 pm
  #2192  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Posts: 1,838
Tried BOB on flight tonight. A lot of kids as it's half term, so I guess that would have had an impact, but service was slow. And I was thirsty because the cabin temp was ridiculously hot. Not great. There are still people that haven't clocked that they have to pay even for drinks. We are over a year on and I still think it's been a very poor decision, but made so much worse by poor execution.
South London Bon Viveur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 18, 9:49 pm
  #2193  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sapporo, Japan
Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Posts: 433
It'll go the way of Japan, where you take food on board if you want to eat. Not a problem if you expect it.
flyuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 12:10 am
  #2194  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kent, UK
Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by flyuk View Post
It'll go the way of Japan, where you take food on board if you want to eat. Not a problem if you expect it.
Presume you mean domestic Japan flights? I flew on JAL in Y from Taipei to Haneda on Thursday. Full tray of food provided plus two drinks runs in completely full plane on a 2.5 hour flight.
Mapman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 12:17 am
  #2195  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sapporo, Japan
Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Posts: 433
Originally Posted by Mapman View Post

Presume you mean domestic Japan flights? I flew on JAL in Y from Taipei to Haneda on Thursday. Full tray of food provided plus two drinks runs in completely full plane on a 2.5 hour flight.
Yeah. Y domestic on JAL and ANA don't include anything except for a drink. Most people take on a bento or rice ball.
flyuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 2:56 am
  #2196  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 14
I find this M&S Buy on Board thing to be largely crap tbh. Coming back from AGP on quite a light flight you're understandably a bit peckish at 00:30... there was nothing dairy free (dietary requirements are very poorly catered for from this range) so that was my girlfriend going hungry for a bit while I necked down the gin.

Coming back the other day from AMS, I hear that they don't stock toasties that are advertised in the booklet because it'd take too long...

Some of the powers that be or at least somebody in BA will see all this but alas nobody cares what we think, clearly customers expect too much lol.
Lord Jon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:51 am
  #2197  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Posts: 769
Originally Posted by layz View Post
Let's hope it stays that way! For two reasons: it keeps the LCY services special (even when they were operated by BA Connect, a BoB airline, they kept LCY complimentary) and also I'd worry it'd affect the CE service.
donít hold your breath, BA is stubborn and wants to prove BoB is a success and the way to go for Y SH even though customers are still praising the LCY service on social media. On twitter whenever, they get praised for the service, BA answers that they are happy customers enjoyed the complementary service and ask them to look forward for M&S menu sometime in 2018. Delusional!
BA6948 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 4:18 am
  #2198  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,722
Originally Posted by Lord Jon View Post
I find this M&S Buy on Board thing to be largely crap tbh. Coming back from AGP on quite a light flight you're understandably a bit peckish at 00:30... there was nothing dairy free (dietary requirements are very poorly catered for from this range) so that was my girlfriend going hungry for a bit while I necked down the gin.

Coming back the other day from AMS, I hear that they don't stock toasties that are advertised in the booklet because it'd take too long...

Some of the powers that be or at least somebody in BA will see all this but alas nobody cares what we think, clearly customers expect too much lol.
I never realized there was dairy in gin
rapidex is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 8:28 am
  #2199  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Glos, UK
Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
Posts: 506
Full flight on A321 from Fco to Lhr last week. Food trolleys hopelessly under catered as usual. 14 sandwiches loaded for approx 200 passengers in Economy on a lunchtime flight. Cabin crew clearly fed up with having to apologise for BAís failings as they told me they report back daily with requests for more snacks, only to be ignored. Just how stupid, arrogant or both are the mandarins in Waterside Towers? More than a year since complimentary f&b were removed and still they canít get the catering levels right. Sad to see a once great airline decline so far and with no interest in restoring its tarnished reputation.

If it is so difficult for BA to get the inventory levels right, perhaps they would be better off removing all food and stick to drinks only.
wb1969 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:52 am
  #2200  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 4,601
Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
Full flight on A321 from Fco to Lhr last week. Food trolleys hopelessly under catered as usual. 14 sandwiches loaded for approx 200 passengers in Economy on a lunchtime flight. and still they canít get the catering levels right. ..................Sad to see a once great airline decline so far and with no interest in restoring its tarnished reputation.

....................................
Simply beggars belief.

Difficult to decide whether itís a matter of sorrow or laughter when we see the (increasingly) rare poster claiming that BoB is working very well really, now that the early teething troubles have been ironed out...............
subject2load is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:17 am
  #2201  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Posts: 8,188
Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
If it is so difficult for BA to get the inventory levels right, perhaps they would be better off removing all food and stick to drinks only.
Not to mention the payment process. Seems to fail rather frequently in my experience.
jamessnewman likes this.
WorldLux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:25 am
  #2202  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: living near Malaga
Programs: BA Gold & honoured with a Mucci des Zones de Tranquilitť . Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Posts: 688
My impression is that Ba dont really want to cater for ecomomy passengers. They probably have to provide something morally ( legally ) and provide the minimum required to pass that bar.

They can say what they want about their BOB but everybody with half a brain knows its hopelessly undercatered and they must be aware of it a year in.
sunshinebob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:37 am
  #2203  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wedged somewhere between BTS and VIE ✈
Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Posts: 5,499
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
My impression is that Ba dont really want to cater for ecomomy passengers. They probably have to provide something morally ( legally ) and provide the minimum required to pass that bar.

They can say what they want about their BOB but everybody with half a brain knows its hopelessly undercatered and they must be aware of it a year in.
I think that just about sums it up. After all this time it's quite obvious now that BoB was just a way to get shot of all the hassle (and cost) of having to provide food and drinks for every passenger. I'm sure those at the top who care nothing about hospitality are glad the dumped the complimentary stuff. More than likely they just see whatever they make now as a bonus.
rockflyertalk likes this.
headingwest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 1:52 am
  #2204  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,876
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post

Difficult to decide whether itís a matter of sorrow or laughter when we see the (increasingly) rare poster claiming that BoB is working very well really, now that the early teething troubles have been ironed out...............
Quite. Even the stalwarts on here who seem never to witness any issues whatsoever don't seem to be as vocal recently.

In saying that, 3 BA SH Y flights in the last week saw BOB options - 2 flights were problem free (I even used a handful of Avios for a sparkling water!), and the other flight the trolley made it to row 11 or 12 before having to be stored in preparation for landing.
rossmacd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 5:06 am
  #2205  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, Babylon-on-Thames
Programs: BAEC Bronze (!)
Posts: 703
It's astonishing just how much better the experience is on a short haul flight out of London City. I got all I needed on board, a cup of coffee and a biscuit to refresh me rather than a long wait for a bucket of oversized cafeine which comes with instructions on how to drink that one has to gulp down.
Nothing will change until WW and his Accenture puppet-CEO move on, but there is a case for this and I wonder if Cruz Control's successor might see half decent complimentary catering in short haul as a quick win.
rockflyertalk likes this.
skipness1E is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread