Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
It was said that the M&S is not planned for service recovery in events such as this one. We had an example up-thread of possibly the captain overuling this, but for the moment this is the official party line.
presumanly the CSM/CSD can award Avios as service recovery that are subsequently spent on BoB?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by erifax
However, the simplest solution seems to be to integrate with the manifest. Just charge the food to seat 10F, which links to your ticket, and your FFP#. Since they already have that information about you onboard, they could just add a flag for "pre-approved for Avios spend" and then reconcile when at a base.
What about the flights where a certain percentage of the cabin are not in their boarding card seat due to BA's inability to sit children next to their parents?

I'd offer to move seats for anyone then order some Percy Pigs washed down with a few G&Ts
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by john205
What happens if you pay by Avios but don't have enough Avios to cover it? Do you go negative?

john
Small, small risk in the big scheme of things. Even if this were to happen, in the vast majority of cases the avios earned from the flight you were on when you did this would put you back right - or near enough - again.

Really not something I'd be concerned about, and not sure why people are getting so worked up about it.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
LHR-KEF today, the card machine wasn't working so they had to manually write down everyone's card details. I was in row 12 (6th row of ET) and was around 1 hour after they started serving till I got offered. They didn't have time to finish the plane so gave complimentary water and juice to the customers not offered BOB items about 30 mins before landing.
That'll be a violation of PCI-DSS.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Leeski
Or what about an unmin who doesn't have a credit/debit card and isn't an EC member...?
Didn't think BA took UMs any more.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by erifax
However, the simplest solution seems to be to integrate with the manifest. Just charge the food to seat 10F, which links to your ticket, and your FFP#. Since they already have that information about you onboard, they could just add a flag for "pre-approved for Avios spend" and then reconcile when at a base.
Not necessarily, as there might be passengers who would auto credit the flight to another FF program, yet they could also have Avios to use for this.

Speaking of different programs, is it only BA Avios, or would IB or avios.com work too?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Surely you just give CE passengers complimentary M&S food??
No. As report in another forum discussing BAre.... someone bought a CE ticket an hour before departure, you know one of those that cost £600-900 one way and obviously no meal loaded for them. When asked if they could get something else, the answer was you can buy from BOB after we have done the ET cabin round. Obviously there was nothing left by row 12...

I am becoming puzzled by how incompetent and disconnected BA SMT are.
It's like their road map ends with a sale sign in a year or two and they are trimming and cutting every corner to get a better share price.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I wonder if pay by Avios will carry on. It's a useful way to use up small Avios balances which may otherwise never be used.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
I wonder if pay by Avios will carry on. It's a useful way to use up small Avios balances which may otherwise never be used.
So is bottled water
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zat_dude
to stick with AC's terminology from the interview: "That's actually BS."

I can only speculate that the survey showing "consistent very positive feedback" was similar to the ones we pax got, such as:
Do you agree with this statement: "I would you rather pay for a bacon sandwich than be smacked in the face with a frozen salmon"...

I am personally not against the BoB concept and as a teetotaller I surely won't miss those G&Ts. However, it has been clear that the PR surrounding this change was insulting, now we also see that the delivery is abysmal.

All my respect goes out to bwaflyer and all other cc who have to deal with this mess in the frontline. ^
Originally Posted by bullroot
I don't think they have upgraded to C64 yet, that was postponed, and they decided to move to a 16K Spectrum as part of the 'lets save 40k by removing a flower from CW' business case from an East Berks College postgrad student's thesis.
Originally Posted by Petrus
No. As report in another forum discussing BAre.... someone bought a CE ticket an hour before departure, you know one of those that cost £600-900 one way and obviously no meal loaded for them. When asked if they could get something else, the answer was you can buy from BOB after we have done the ET cabin round. Obviously there was nothing left by row 12...

It's like their road map ends with a sale sign in a year or two and they are trimming and cutting every corner to get a better share price.
And one of the cabin crew confirmed it is procedure not to fulfill requests for the free 'tap' water until after BOB is completed - which means virtually never.

AC may bring BA to the bottom of the heap in brand and customer perception in months if they don't get it straight quickly.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Flight from Tenerife didn't have any food left from previous flight and according to this article http://http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/...t-loading-etc/, they confirm that tap water can only be served after the BoB run is done and that for some flights there won't be any duty free because of lack of space for both. What a crappy nasty airline BA has become! Really it was my favourite!

Flying with them next week BRU-LHR-JFK. I will make sure I ask for water and let's what happens. Better not push my buttons.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I was on a AGP-LGW service. Booked in Y and was fully prepared for BOB (even got a can of coke from the lounge...) but when they scan my bp i heard two beeps -- got upgraded to CE!

I saw the menu -- it looked rather nice in terms of design. The CCs in ET worked so hard -- 90% of the flight i saw them servicing in the aisle. I feel bad for ygem standing there for 2 hours.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Petrus

Originally Posted by BA6948
Flight from Tenerife didn't have any food left from previous flight and according to this article http://http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/...t-loading-etc/, they confirm that tap water can only be served after the BoB run is done and that for some flights there won't be any duty free because of lack of space for both. What a crappy nasty airline BA has become! Really it was my favourite!

Flying with them next week BRU-LHR-JFK. I will make sure I ask for water and let's what happens. Better not push my buttons.

This is absolutely unacceptable!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
And one of the cabin crew confirmed it is procedure not to fulfill requests for the free 'tap' water until after BOB is completed - which means virtually never.

AC may bring BA to the bottom of the heap in brand and customer perception in months if they don't get it straight quickly.
You know what, when I am thirsty or during my trip to the bathroom on the band 4's, I am going to walk to the galley at the back and ask for some water! = ) I really doubt they can say no to that simple request.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: BA GCH
Originally Posted by Paralytic
What about the flights where a certain percentage of the cabin are not in their boarding card seat due to BA's inability to sit children next to their parents?

I'd offer to move seats for anyone then order some Percy Pigs washed down with a few G&Ts
Cabin Crew> "Is it Mr. Smith?"

Person in 10F> "Ah, no. I was reseated, I was in 9D. My name is Jones."

Cabin Crew> "Ah, got it, Mr. Jones. Thank you."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.