Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by simprove

This extended meal service means the crew have no time for duty free sales, just a quick rush through the cabin asking if anyone wants anything. There were no takers. Instead of being a relaxed and pleasant experience it's rushed and the crew are strecthed to the limit.
THis was my experience returning from ZRH on a 767. I was in CE so F&B weren't an issue but I was waiting for the duty free to come round.

Someone across the aisle from me had some cigarettes brought to his seat, so this prompted me to ask if duty free was "on demand" or still done by trolley round. They told me the trolley was due to come round.

However, there was no duty free trolley because ET was so busy and had I not flagged down CC (when they came to take payment from the cigarette guy) I wouldn't have got my purchase. As it was, they called ten minutes to landing just as CC was tearing my receipt off the card machine
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
THis was my experience returning from ZRH on a 767. I was in CE so F&B weren't an issue but I was waiting for the duty free to come round.

Someone across the aisle from me had some cigarettes brought to his seat, so this prompted me to ask if duty free was "on demand" or still done by trolley round. They told me the trolley was due to come round.

However, there was no duty free trolley because ET was so busy and had I not flagged down CC (when they came to take payment from the cigarette guy) I wouldn't have got my purchase. As it was, they called ten minutes to landing just as CC was tearing my receipt off the card machine
yes on one hour flights forget it! Better pay the 20 CHF for some McDonald’s at ZRH haha
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Announcement today on BA1468 to INV: "We apologise in advance if you don't get served due to slow computer systems as this [BoB] is relatively new to all of us"
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by florens
Announcement today on BA1468 to INV: "We apologise in advance if you don't get served due to slow computer systems as this [BoB] is relatively new to all of us"
Ha ha ha! I had to laugh reading this... BA is really an amateur airline. Alex Cruz was right when he told us that BA's BoB will change the way we thought about airline food: total shambles!! Twitter is still reporting passengers not served due to slow process or scarce food availability. At least they are now warning their passengers either via PA or in advance via SMS.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted
florens likes this.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 12, 2017 at 9:58 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by BA6948
Ha ha ha! I had to laugh reading this... BA is really an amateur airline. Alex Cruz was right when he told us that BA's BoB will change the way we thought about airline food: total shambles!! Twitter is still reporting passengers not served due to slow process or scarce food availability. At least they are now warning their passengers either via PA or in advance via SMS.
I agree. When I heard it I was like whaaaat?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Lol they might as well say food on board is a luxury so don't expect it on Board! You'll be lucky to be having some!
Perhaps the next step is AOB (auction on board). The one bacon roll goes to the highest bidder. Thereby ensuring maximum satisfaction for Cruz's most important passengers (the ones daft enough to pay top dollar). And creating a culture of aspiration for those that miss out.

And in case the CE mob felt like they were missing the fun, the same could be done to see who gets one of those "limited edition" Croque Monsieurs mentioned in another thread...
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Perhaps the next step is AOB (auction on board). The one bacon roll goes to the highest bidder. Thereby ensuring maximum satisfaction for Cruz's most important passengers (the ones daft enough to pay top dollar). And creating a culture of aspiration for those that miss out.

Good strategy - a definite win-win for Sr. Cruz and his merry beancounters.

But no need to change initials : just use 'Bid' rather than 'auction' and the same BOB acronym will work just fine .........
mrow likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Did a CE flight to Frankfurt this week. They fiendishly put the M&S brochures in the seat pockets, and I must admit I'd have paid handsomely for a posh club rather than the cheap British Rail ham, sweaty stilton and scotch egg combo that was doled out. I was left thinking that CE was a bit of a sh*te product. I've just booked myself into an exit row in economy for another trip next month and I reckon that'll be just as good at a big discount. Especially if I score a posh club.

Mind you, the return was a bit of an improvement - there was a cancellation and the replacement plane was a medium long haul equipped A321 with the most comfortable seating I've ever had in business class (massage button woot) on any route, a very nice duck salad, and a charming stranger to chat to - nice touch this I think, hats off to BA for the innovation.

I don't know why pre-ordering of food isn't the norm anyway - it would help with stock management and the time taken to get the meals out.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Was on a full A321 from Glasgow to Heathrow last night, passenger next to me in row 23 asked for a red wine "sorry, run out" was the reply. Seriously?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
Was on a full A321 from Glasgow to Heathrow last night, passenger next to me in row 23 asked for a red wine "sorry, run out" was the reply. Seriously?
Probably already ran out of all booze on the LHR-GLA leg.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I have to say, and while I am not a supporter of the BOB concept, the peppermint tea with mini jaffa cakes is a lovely combination
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver
True bread and water territory....he's lucky he didn't get a slap from the cabin crew for his cheek.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
apprently not alone. Happened on an EDI LGW too.

Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
Apologies if this has been answered already - I did not have time to look through over 100 pages of comments. I recall someone asking if Avios are awarded for BoB purchases. I can confirm that they are.

I recently took 3 flights on which I purchased a duty free item, handing over my BAEC card at the time. My Avios never appeared. I contacted customer services with my three receipts plus two BOB purchase receipts from earlier this month and received Avios for all 5 transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.