Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 24, 17, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
The worst part is you pay for half a cup of hot beverage on BA flights.
Half? My coffee has been a full cup when I have occasionally bought one - has your experience been different?
Old Jul 24, 17, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by noubliepas View Post
How can it look tasty when you can't even see the filling? It's basically just bread..
+1. I must be slightly odd in not finding sheer (and industrial) bread with an emerging limp salad leaf the easiest food to fantasise about
Old Jul 24, 17, 9:12 am

Programs: SAS Silver, Finnair Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Half? My coffee has been a full cup when I have occasionally bought one - has your experience been different?
Based on reading the BOB threads there are many complaints about cups being half full.
Old Jul 24, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Based on reading the BOB threads there are many complaints about cups being half full.
+1

That and the water being lukewarm.
Old Jul 24, 17, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ah ok, I haven't seen those posts. Not my experience.
Old Jul 24, 17, 10:09 am

Programs: Air: QR Platinum. BA, Emirates, AB. Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum.
Very disappointing that the (historically) British Flagship airline now charges for a cup of tea.
It is certainly the case that having to take up time charging for items means that the service is so much slower than in the past and that it can take a seriously long time (if at all) to reach the last passenger :-(
This has to be rectified somehow. Although I'm sure that adding extra trolleys to help complete faster would negate a lot of the profit made from switching to a BoB* process.

* Although I see its being refereed to in the press today as NoB, Nothing on Board !! Given that some passengers never get the chance to have anything either because the trolley doesn't reach them before the service has to stop due to descent being imminent OR there are very few (if any) products available by the time it reaches them. The latter occurring most frequently on 'return' legs due to a lack of restocking at the remote location.

M&S food is tasty, but this is certainly a step backwards for BA not only in its overall status as a 'premium' or 'flagship' airline but also in terms of the implementation being rather poor.

I also think that high status flyers should be given something by way of recognition of loyalty. Perhaps if a cup of tea is to remain a BoB option as opposed to becoming free (which I believe it should be on BA) then at least offer it for free to BAEC Golds & OWEs.
I am not opposed to switching economy to a BoB system, but it should be implemented well and both offer a level of recognition to status members and retain a 'Britishness' by offering free (full cups of) tea to all :-)

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Jul 24, 17 at 10:16 am
Old Jul 24, 17, 10:47 am

Programs: BA, SAA
FNC-LGW on Saturday: passengers in Y were told at the final check before boarding the flight that there was no food to purchase, by which time it was too late to buy anything in the airport. Happily, I was in Club Europe.
Old Jul 24, 17, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Coming back from Spain a couple of weeks ago, economy was completely full.

I was in the 5th row of economy, by which point they had one cheese sandwich left and one salad. I imagine there were a few disappointed people further back.

I normally try to avoid it but for various reasons this was the first time I was relying on the BoB to get some dinner - a stressful experience I wouldn't want to repeat, worrying whether you'll get any substantial food.

Would it have killed me to go without? No, but on this occasion I was hungry and BA does trumpet the food offering.

A high take up (I think to be expected for this route and time of day) and some iPad issues meant the crew seemed pretty stressed. One said to me she was "losing the will to live".

It's been said before but the nature and tone of the interaction between crew and passengers has really nosedived with BoB, I feel very sorry for them.
Old Jul 24, 17, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by woglet86 View Post
Coming back from Spain a couple of weeks ago, economy was completely full.

I was in the 5th row of economy, by which point they had one cheese sandwich left and one salad. I imagine there were a few disappointed people further back.

I normally try to avoid it but for various reasons this was the first time I was relying on the BoB to get some dinner - a stressful experience I wouldn't want to repeat, worrying whether you'll get any substantial food.

Would it have killed me to go without? No, but on this occasion I was hungry and BA does trumpet the food offering.

A high take up (I think to be expected for this route and time of day) and some iPad issues meant the crew seemed pretty stressed. One said to me she was "losing the will to live".

It's been said before but the nature and tone of the interaction between crew and passengers has really nosedived with BoB, I feel very sorry for them.
I said it before on here but the beef or chicken sub rolls M&S sell in their shops would be perfect for these longer return legs.

Longer shelf life than the sandwiches and a simple hot snack for a fiver.

Not been thought through at any level really as it took me all of 1 minute to see that as an ideal solution. (to a problem BA won't admit it has)
Old Jul 25, 17, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I mainly fly in CE and am fortunate enough to avoid what seems to be the lottery of BoB.

However, I am irritated by the announcements re food and beverage on most flights. The script seems to require that "complimentary food and drinks from the bar will be served in Club Europe". I thought that I paid for it as part of the ticket price.
Old Jul 25, 17, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by SurreyTig View Post

The script seems to require that "complimentary food and drinks from the bar will be served in Club Europe". I thought that I paid for it as part of the ticket price.
Ah yes .... the "complimentary" conundrum again ! This time in CE.

Many folk were quite sure that when food & drink in ET (formerly served at no additional cost) became subject to charges under BoB, fares would be reduced to reflect the new arrangement. There was a sense of injustice when this didn't happen.

But BA were quick to put them right with confident assurances that it was all "complimentary" - and was never included in the ticket price to begin with.

It's an easy mistake for a passenger to make
Old Jul 25, 17, 6:08 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
My tea has ranged from 50% to 70%, very rarely a full cup. The crew simply don't want to keep refilling the hot water.

Flight back from GIB was diverted to AGP last week, BA handled the whole thing terribly (I fly this route every week, have had many diversions, nothing as bad as this one).

Once we eventually got on board, some 5 hours after the original departure time, they announced that they had 'limited' food and drink on board. In reality this meant they had run out of sandwiches by the 4th row of ET.

Not only this, but they only reached row 23 at 20m prior to landing - the rest of the cabin remained unserved. A lot of very, very unhappy BA customers on that flight.

I know the diversion was out of their hands, but it was handled particularly poorly, but not to be able to serve an entire cabin on a 2h18m flight? Ridiculous.
Old Jul 25, 17, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold & honoured with a Mucci des Zones de Tranquilité . Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
That and the water being lukewarm.
My pet hate... I always ask if the water is hot and if not I ask them to fill up the metal water pot before pouring mine. If they say its hot and its not I take a sip and give it back asking for a fresh one with hot water.
Old Jul 25, 17, 7:09 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH Blue, BA Blue
Originally Posted by noubliepas View Post
My tea has ranged from 50% to 70%, very rarely a full cup. The crew simply don't want to keep refilling the hot water.

Flight back from GIB was diverted to AGP last week, BA handled the whole thing terribly (I fly this route every week, have had many diversions, nothing as bad as this one).

Once we eventually got on board, some 5 hours after the original departure time, they announced that they had 'limited' food and drink on board. In reality this meant they had run out of sandwiches by the 4th row of ET.

Not only this, but they only reached row 23 at 20m prior to landing - the rest of the cabin remained unserved. A lot of very, very unhappy BA customers on that flight.

I know the diversion was out of their hands, but it was handled particularly poorly, but not to be able to serve an entire cabin on a 2h18m flight? Ridiculous.
What i want to know is, will these unhappy BA customers fly BA again?
Old Jul 25, 17, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
What i want to know is, will these unhappy BA customers fly BA again?
With due respect too binary a question. They might fly ba but slightly less, Ft is always focused on this weird 'will fly, won't fly' dichotomy which always strikes me as so inconsistent with the way most of us with choice choose our travel. Like I dislike fr but still fly them sometimes but they have a 'handicap' to compensate, ba used to have a huge advantage now much less so.

Search this Thread