Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 3, 17, 12:14 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by BA6948 View Post
The Beef sandwich disappeared and replaced by the Posh Club. It didn't impress one passenger:
https://twitter.com/rainebow21/statu...20609238413312
Looks quite tasty to me!
Old Jul 3, 17, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
Looks quite tasty to me!
The real one or the photo from the menu?

I appreciate this is trivial, but I really dislike the name of the thing. Why would anyone choose to label something 'posh' in a time when it's only ever used as an insult?
Old Jul 3, 17, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Why would anyone choose to label something 'posh' in a time when it's only ever used as an insult?
Time to reclaim the word and assert our identities
Old Jul 3, 17, 3:53 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Looks quite tasty to me!
How can it look tasty when you can't even see the filling? It's basically just bread..
Old Jul 3, 17, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by noubliepas View Post
How can it look tasty when you can't even see the filling? It's basically just bread..
Some people on here would eat anything BA put in front of them.
Old Jul 3, 17, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors
Came back on the 653 from Santorini on Saturday.
Air traffic issues kept us on the ground for 45 minutes with the doors closed - obviously no offer of a glass of water - on top of a 1 hour delay in boarding.
Trolley service, when it finally started, was pitifully slow and they ran out of sandwiches about 7 rows into Y.
Given this is a 4 hour flight and the airport facilities at JTR leave much to be desired, surely after 6 months someone should have thought to load more items on this kind of flight?
Old Jul 3, 17, 4:21 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Toonfan View Post
Came back on the 653 from Santorini on Saturday.
Air traffic issues kept us on the ground for 45 minutes with the doors closed - obviously no offer of a glass of water - on top of a 1 hour delay in boarding.
Trolley service, when it finally started, was pitifully slow and they ran out of sandwiches about 7 rows into Y.
Given this is a 4 hour flight and the airport facilities at JTR leave much to be desired, surely after 6 months someone should have thought to load more items on this kind of flight?
Don't worry, you're not alone. Your peers traveling from Madrid, Chania, Thessaloniki, Brindisi and Bari (according to twitter) found themselves with nothing on the plane. Don't you love BoB on BA.
Old Jul 12, 17, 5:57 am

I took a flight from Istanbul to Heathrow a couple of week sago and the BoB offerings were simply pathetic. They only had 1 choice of sandwich and even that sold out before they got half way down the aisle.
We literally had to try to fill up on crisps as we didnít eat at the airport with the intention of buying sandwiches on the plane. Anyway, my reason for posting is not to complain about the lack of anything to eat on-board, my questions are the following:

I paid with my BA app on board but the Avios have not been deducted 3 weeks later Ė how long does it normally take?
What happens if when they eventually deduct the Avios I donít have enough? We had lots of drinks and crisps, Iím not sure the total amount of Avios due and I want to go ahead and book some reward flights using the vast majority of the Avios in my account.
Old Jul 12, 17, 6:08 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Having to pay for a cup of tea on a BA flight is an absolute disgrace.
At the very least it should be free for all Gold & Silver members, plus OWE Emerald.
Old Jul 12, 17, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus View Post
At the very least it should be free for all Gold & Silver members, plus OWE Emerald.
No, the LEAST they can do is free ordinary coffee and tea for EVERYONE like SAS.
Old Jul 12, 17, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus View Post

From which we might guess your position in the Oneworld pecking order

Having to pay for a cup of tea on board is a disgrace {FULL STOP}
Old Jul 24, 17, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Afternoon all,

Flew BA470 to Barcelona last Monday. Was my first experience of BoB so for the purposes of research, I purchased a can of Heineken.

Service from the start of economy (row six) to me in row eleven was about 15 minutes. My name and BA Exec number were taken for payment which led me to question the point of the barcode on the BA app. The transaction has not yet appeared on my BA Exec club online statement.

The first (closed) can was warm so I asked for a different can, which wasn't any cooler unfortunately. I declined the offer of an ice cube in the cup. If you are sitting nearer the back I don't like the chances of being able to purchase any cold drinks!
Old Jul 24, 17, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Looks quite tasty to me!
Tried the "posh club" sandwich on Saturday - indeed tasty and well stuffed. Gets my vote.
Old Jul 24, 17, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
From which we might guess your position in the Oneworld pecking order

Still not sure why it is considered a disgrace. A season ticket to commute to London costs thousands from my neck of the woods and I have never heard anyone think that they are entitled to a free coffee at the station or from the (non existent on SWT) trolley.

I agree it would be great if it was, but it isn't.

I assume the whole model relies on only a percentage of people wanting something to purchase otherwise the crew would would get to even fewer rows than they seem able to do now. Giving any free stuff to everyone or ECH would just make this worse I think.
Old Jul 24, 17, 8:26 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
The worst part is you pay for half a cup of hot beverage on BA flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: