Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Reading the BoB menu is like reading a menu in a North Korean restaurant. All the items you could ever want - none are actually available.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Lady in front of me on a flight to LGW asked for a tap water, was told she would have to wait until end of service (OK, we know about that), and have to go in person to the galley to collect it, since CC weren't allowed to deliver it.

Astonishing. I don't really believe this is actual policy but it's a sign of the state of the attitude in the cabin these days
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by af101
Lady in front of me on a flight to LGW asked for a tap water, was told she would have to wait until end of service (OK, we know about that), and have to go in person to the galley to collect it, since CC weren't allowed to deliver it.

Astonishing. I don't really believe this is actual policy but it's a sign of the state of the attitude in the cabin these days
That is shocking.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by chongcao
That is shocking.
If I heard that, I would demand to see the head cabin crew on the plane. If they have the same opinion on the matter, I would then fill out a complaint form, although if it came to that, I am sure the head cabin crew would just give me the water and be done with it!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
So the "To fly .. To serve " motto is right out of the window then !
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
No not really...just needs some minor modification!

"To fly ... To serve yourself"
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Earlier on I reported this here.

Another BoB 'experience':
No sandwiches loaded today on BA716 LHR-ZRH. Not a single one. Unbelievable.
The cabin crew told me that they reported this when they got onboard (before the passengers came onboard) but they couldn't get the catering to be brought to the aircraft in time.
The crew was truly sorry and was upset as well.
Uptake was average I'd say, about 1 purchase per row (mostly soft drinks and coffee/tea).
CS response: (my bolding)

Dear mr. florens

Thanks for letting us know about your flight to Zurich on 05 June. I completely understand why you’re disappointed we couldn’t offer you and Ms xxx our full catering offering. I can imagine how upset you must have been, so please accept my sincere apologies.
I’m afraid we continue to have some issues with Buy On Board and we’re monitoring the performance and the implementation of Buy On Board very closely. We have teams specifically in place to gather feedback from both our customers and our staff. As well as your feedback, this will make sure that any issues are fixed straight away and will help support our Catering teams going forward.
We’re therefore very grateful you’ve taken the time to let us know what happened. It’s only through your comments we’re able to focus on areas where we need to improve. I’ve of course sent the details of your complaint to our Catering team and I know they’ll value your insight. I very much hope you’ll see a significant improvement the next time you fly with us.
Thanks again for contacting us. We value your and Ms xxx loyalty as Gold members of our Executive Club and I hope you enjoy your flights with us on 01 July. Please feel free to contact me directly using the blue link below if I can help you with anything else.
Best regards

British Airways Customer Relations
Your case reference is:xxx
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mrow
No not really...just needs some minor modification!

"To fly ... To serve yourself"
I would prefer this.

Leave out the cups and we can help ourselves when we want water.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by smokie36
I would prefer this.

Leave out the cups and we can help ourselves when we want water.
Well thats what they do on long haul!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:31 am

Heathrow to Toulouse yesterday and BoB was as slow as ever on the 1 hour 20 minute hop. The lady next to me was given a half full cup of tea for 2.30 and she rightly complained. When she asked for the granola and yoghurt pot from the menu the first crew member said they didn't stock this while another "whispered" to their colleague how they could use one from their saved stock for the busy return flight. Priceless but tactical. BA still aren't stocking their flights properly, even though I rarely use them in Europe now. Percy pigs for breakfast anyone?

No idea if everyone got served but the crew were clearing away rubbish with moments before touch down.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“I have gone from working on Concorde to selling Percy Pigs”
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
No Avios compensation for no sandwiches (reported upthread):

I can see from your email how strongly you feel about this and I want to assure you were doing all we can to improve Buy on Board. However, Im afraid, as Buy on Board is not a complimentary service and is not included in the fare or forms part of our Contract of Carriage, we wouldnt be able to compensate you if we were unable to provide this service. Im sure youll understand we must apply a consistent approach to situations like this, so were fair to all our customers. This means we cant make an exception and offer you Avios. I know this will be disappointing to hear since its clear you expected more from us.

When we find out somethings gone wrong we do everything we can to fix it. Were very grateful youve taken the time to let us know what happened, as its only through your comments were able to focus on areas where we need to improve.

Thanks again for getting in touch. We really appreciate your and Ms xx support as Gold Executive Club members and I hope our decision wont stop you from choosing to fly with us again. Please use the blue link below to contact me directly if I can help with any other separate issues.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:14 am

Full flight fromToulouse to London and the same as the outbound in terms of a struggle to complete the service and offer a sandwich or anything decent at lunchtime beyond row 14 of economy. A few "free" cups of tank water handed out happily by the crew amid the usual huffing and puffing Brits on board about not getting served properly. "Absolutely ridiculous" was heard many times. Otherwise lovely crew, clean plane and decent arrival into Heathrow but I've kept this to topic in terms of the experience of BA's onboard service.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Full flight fromToulouse to London and the same as the outbound in terms of a struggle to complete the service and offer a sandwich or anything decent at lunchtime beyond row 14 of economy. A few "free" cups of tank water handed out happily by the crew amid the usual huffing and puffing Brits on board about not getting served properly. "Absolutely ridiculous" was heard many times. Otherwise lovely crew, clean plane and decent arrival into Heathrow but I've kept this to topic in terms of the experience of BA's onboard service.
Sounds like many occasional flyers got caught by BOB even as late as this.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Seems like they still aren't loading enough food on the flights, especially if those are during meal times

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.