Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Mapman
Or are there darker forces at work trying to deliberately add to the negativity around this through a little careful sabotage?
Not the most likely hypothesis IMHO.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:24 am

Just off the 423 from AMS. This was thus particular crew's 2nd sector BoBing. They had particular issues in pairing the printers for receipts. The first 3 rows took about 20mins and then they basically gave up. Felt sorry for them to be honest...
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:28 am

Thanks Littlegirl for your views. I agree that once payment teething issues are sorted then this will make things better for all concerned.

I think issues/frustrations will remain regarding passengers who don't hear/understand that cash cannot be accepted. Might BA consider highlighting this in various languages and in bold red writing on each page of the menus? Otherwise this will continue to be a pain for both CC and customers.

Hope it beds down for you all soon. Would be great to hear from folk who have had a seamless experience with BoB.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
Yesterday evening's 967 HAM-LHR, only 2 sales on the first 5 rows of ET (21 pax) with 1 or 2 others initially requesting then declining. One of the card payments took a while to process but this turned out to be a card issue, smooth transaction when a second card was offered, prompting the crew to say "at least we know it's not the machine at fault". Had a quick chat at the back of the plane later on , crew comment on BoB 'it's a shame, but inevitable, and now BA have done it, other airlines that still have complimentary food and drink ( e.g. Lufthansa) will probably follow suit'
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by grkvlt
for all BAEC members?
Rough calculation (from an IT guy) - I reckon you can store an EC number and an avios balance up to 4 billion (way more than anyone would actually have) easily in 8 bytes of data.
128 GB of RAM is a bit over 134 billion bytes so you could store 17 billion accounts along with their avios balance.

So yes, it's likely that the device stores everyone's cards and balances.

Chip and pin cards do not need to be connected in order to authorise them. There is a code embedded in the chip which is completely useless unless the correct pin is entered. Of course, this only validates that the holder of the card knows the correct pin for the card, not that there are sufficient funds or that they are in fact the rightful owner. Contactless doesn't do this, obviously, which is why transactions are limited to £30.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by jamesreid978
LHR-KEF today, the card machine wasn't working so they had to manually write down everyone's card details.
I hope they were following a formal PCI compliant process for this that ensured the continued security of the information they had noted.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Big confusion around water. A guy on a flight from Milan (£280) was refused tap water and was asked for money. Same happened yesterday on a flight from or to Oslo.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by BA6948
Big confusion around water. A guy on a flight from Milan (£280) was refused tap water and was asked for money. Same happened yesterday on a flight from or to Oslo.
That's just bad. And against the advice given in earlier Twitter responses from CS.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BA6948
I think that if any of us witness such incidents, we should encourage those passengers to complain: this is simply unacceptable. The incentive structure is for the small proportion of less hard working/less honest crew to try and sell water rather than serve tap, because the latter is more work and less commission. It is important that people complain when it happens so that this does not become a habit of theirs.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by ppp909
Rough calculation (from an IT guy) - I reckon you can store an EC number and an avios balance up to 4 billion (way more than anyone would actually have) easily in 8 bytes of data.
128 GB of RAM is a bit over 134 billion bytes so you could store 17 billion accounts along with their avios balance.

So yes, it's likely that the device stores everyone's cards and balances.
Would be very surprised if the device stored everyones BAEC card details and avios balances as the operational logistics of synchronising the on board devices when avios balances are constantly changing would be immense.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Jonrross
I hope they were following a formal PCI compliant process for this that ensured the continued security of the information they had noted.
Exactly and what do you think the answer might be - I would guess the Cabin Crew do not know what PCI is.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by ppp909

So yes, it's likely that the device stores everyone's cards and balances
I was thinking of doing some approximation too and totally agree with you.

The data lends itself well to compression well. You could use some neat tricks like no needing to include accounts with 0 avios as well as on bothering with 2 bytes of storage for the Avios balance (people are unlikely to spend more than 65k Avios on BoB!)
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
- No food was loaded on the BA2953 GLA-LGW this morning. I can understand teething problems with machines but not having anything at all is just unbelievable.
- Angry Turks not getting anything on the Istanbul flight. They vow to take Turkish Airline in the future (well that's a no brainer)
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Whoever allowed this to go live without such critical points on the Project Plan being met needs to be shot.
Product Distribution and Logistics is an absolute no brainer
Ensuring Contactless was really an essential for launch if everyone is going to get served on minimum crew.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by scillyisles
Would be very surprised if the device stored everyones BAEC card details and avios balances as the operational logistics of synchronising the on board devices when avios balances are constantly changing would be immense.
Why? Most people's balances won't be changing much at all. It'll only download the changes and that will take seconds with a decent 4G connection. Of course, there's the risk that someone decides to spend all their avios on a flight while they're sitting on the plane prior to take-off but that's a low risk, for the sake of a snack and a coffee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.