Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
BA would not be allowed to even give away water that was not fit for human consumption.
I think this conversation certainly centred around the CC concern regarding serving a young child the free water.

Not sure I'd be drinking it unless they had run out of the bottled stuff.

I always carry a bottle on board anyway regardless unless security is at the gate.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Just got off the LHR-SOF plane. Really nice gesture from the CC to pass through the plane with a tray of water after BoB had been finished. First time I've seen that happen!
I was on that flight too. Very pleasant cabin crew.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by cme17
I was on that flight too. Very pleasant cabin crew.
glad to hear there was a fellow FTer on board!

Have a fab time in Sofia!
Old May 6, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes I think that should be the norm. Perhaps the bad feedback finally came to BA.
I agree that it should be a set service standard, but it clearly isn't because this seems to have been a one off, so well done to the crew on that flight. I do also think that it would be very hard to do on short sectors.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Just had my first BOB experience. Now - I don't mind paying a few quid for a G&T. What I do mind is a) on HEL-LHR, it took 1.5 hours to reach row 12 and b) row 12 pretty much had no access to a lavatory during the whole flight, unless you wanted to sneak past the cart in the aisle which on a full flight takes some contortionist moves and some inevitable ...-in-face events to your poor fellow pax.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by dera
Just had my first BOB experience. Now - I don't mind paying a few quid for a G&T. What I do mind is a) on HEL-LHR, it took 1.5 hours to reach row 12 and b) row 12 pretty much had no access to a lavatory during the whole flight, unless you wanted to sneak past the cart in the aisle which on a full flight takes some contortionist moves and some inevitable ...-in-face events to your poor fellow pax.
I was sat in CE yesterday and the curtain was closed quickly and no one tried to come through at all.

One CC served us very well but it was 20 mins from landing before the CSM reappeared from the back.

Those at the front of ET can't have had any access at all.

Not great if you have been waiting in the airport and had a couple of drinks....
Old May 8, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
I don't understand this not being able to go to the toilet business. Do BA have wider trolleys than us?

Turn sideways, sidestep past the trolley and then face forward again to walk to the toilet / back to your seat. It's that simple.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
I don't understand this not being able to go to the toilet business. Do BA have wider trolleys than us?

Turn sideways, sidestep past the trolley and then face forward again to walk to the toilet / back to your seat. It's that simple.
Having started flying the orange planes again, yes your trolleys are narrower. Also, it appears that with the new seats, your aisle is also wider.

Impressed with the easyjet experience in the air so far, not so much on the ground though. Power hungry youths shouting at passengers about needing to pay £45 for their extra bag until said bag goes inside the other bag...only to be taken back out again on the way to the plane. Not sure what the point of that was.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Orange.Man

I'm sure the trolleys must be the same, but are the seats, and therefore the aisle, the same width on BA?
Old May 8, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
My 1st BOB Experience in a couple of weeks, not looking forward to it lol
Old May 14, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
I thought I share this tweet about the stocking level on a ARN LHR flight:

Old May 14, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
EZY's trolleys are definitely narrower and the same as EK's - I think they are made much lighter to save fuel.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by londonba2014
EZY's trolleys are definitely narrower and the same as EK's - I think they are made much lighter to save fuel.
I would imagine that the trolleys are the same width as we all seem to use the same ATLAS standard (now and again you'll find a bit of equipment from another airline in the galley). However, we attach a large metal tray on top which doubles the amount of space on the top of the trolley (and makes it rather top heavy - fun in turbulence!). I think easyJet use narrower seats to give a wider aisle making passing the trolley easier. It's just about possible to squeeze past the rubbish trolley (which doesn't have the tray on top) with our narrower aisles (as long as you have eaten too many Percy Pigs)
Old May 14, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BA6948
I thought I share this tweet about the stocking level on a ARN LHR flight:

https://twitter.com/aizacruzwing/sta...92291420545024
So if I am hungry I better press the call button the second I sit down on the plane to guarantee a beef sandwich? Or is that being selfish?
Old May 14, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
No thats sensible. Came back from Athens the other day and after row 10 they had nothing. Starved on the flight. Ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.