Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Old May 4, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by streetmagix
I think things are slowly changing, I was in Offenburg (for Europa-Park) and Frankfurt last week and pretty much all the shops and food places I visited had contactless card readers and I saw quite a few people use them. All the stations had the 'new' DB/RMV ticket machines with card readers.

I'm off to Berlin at the end of the year, should be interesting if it's any different there. Last time I was there almost no where took cards.
Did the card readers accept card types common outside Germany? I remember many ticket machines would accept EC and Maestro, neither any use for a UK resident.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by streetmagix
I think things are slowly changing, I was in Offenburg (for Europa-Park) and Frankfurt last week and pretty much all the shops and food places I visited had contactless card readers and I saw quite a few people use them. All the stations had the 'new' DB/RMV ticket machines with card readers.

I'm off to Berlin at the end of the year, should be interesting if it's any different there. Last time I was there almost no where took cards.
Yes it is surprising to some people, as for example in the US and UK cards are pretty much everywhere to the point where i have spent days without 1 GBP or USD of cash needed in my pocket doing my daily life.

And BA is a British airline so tries to apply that policy, which in practice internationally is not so easy to implement due to different payment cultures.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, Virgin Flying Club SCH
Originally Posted by headingwest
And the fact of the matter is that each new day they continue with this BoB service BA are subjecting their product to more and more negative feedback and potentially lost future bookings. It's not rocket science.
Its not rocket science at all, and the implementation of this policy (and others), and the contempt which has been shown to customers with the marketing BS, is now what has led me personally to not default to BA as my carrier of choice.

The impact for me on my decision making hasn't just been SH but LH too, and my experience so far this year on other carriers has exceeded what BA generally provides - hard product, cleanliness, catering, all have been better.

The only consistent thing that BA beats other carriers on is the cabin crew, however, has has been pointed out, you remove the ability for CC to go that little extra and then that disappears too. Many CC I now talk to are openly embarassed about the company they work for, and seem to spend a lot of time apologizing for the declines they see in a company they were once proud to work for.

I'll still fly BA occasionally when schedules favour but thats it.

I'm sure Mr Cruz doesn't give two hoots about losing the annual 6 figure sum my company used to spend with BA thats gone to other carriers, but he should also be aware that word of mouth and personal endorsement also matter and when I'm asked (which is quite often!) I no longer now recommend to colleagues and friends to fly BA, and infact now actively encourage them to look at other carriers.

Ultimately time will tell whether Mr Cruz is making the right choices, whichever way it works out BoB is going to be a defining moment in BA's history!
Old May 4, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, Virgin Flying Club SCH
Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
Indeed. Deutsche bahn don't even take payment by credit card at some stations for transactions under eur 20. On a recent trip to my old uni town, we had to pay with cash at about half of the restaurants we visited and the accommodation didn't take credit card either. I was surprised, but there was absolutely no evidence from that trip that Germany is becoming increasingly cashless.
Agreed - my trips to Germany are one of the few where I still take hard cash with me. Taxis and restaurants still frequently don't take cards. I haven't experienced this with hotels over the last few years though, they do seem to be better, though do seem to insist of using the practice of 'holding' a deposit on your card which can be annoying if you're close to your limit!
Old May 4, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
Originally Posted by srbrenna
It is very simple. BoB was introduced to give you quality and choice.
It is very simple. BoB was introduced to g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶q̶u̶a̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶h̶o̶i̶c̶e̶.̶ save BA on inclusive meals and extract more money from PAX while on board.

Corrected that for you.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
CDG-LHR yesterday afternoon, CC trying to sell bottled water instead of giving out tap water.
Needless to say, my cup of tap water never materialised again...
Old May 4, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by beany_bot
It is very simple. BoB was introduced to g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶q̶u̶a̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶h̶o̶i̶c̶e̶.̶ save BA on inclusive meals and extract more money from PAX while on board.

Corrected that for you.
It is laughable that some still believe BA is doing it to give choice and quality. On routes to Band 4, BA used to give quality and choice (hot meal tray) but that has been taken away. On other routes the offering was not bad (flat breads, wraps or full breakfast on domestic).
Old May 4, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
Originally Posted by DirtyDavey
Agreed - my trips to Germany are one of the few where I still take hard cash with me. Taxis and restaurants still frequently don't take cards. I haven't experienced this with hotels over the last few years though, they do seem to be better, though do seem to insist of using the practice of 'holding' a deposit on your card which can be annoying if you're close to your limit!
Taxi's yes, but in my experience living here for 9 out of the last 15 years on and off, i haven't come across restaurants not taking cards, but I suppose that is because I use an EC card being paid over here.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
Indeed. Deutsche bahn don't even take payment by credit card at some stations for transactions under eur 20. On a recent trip to my old uni town, we had to pay with cash at about half of the restaurants we visited and the accommodation didn't take credit card either. I was surprised, but there was absolutely no evidence from that trip that Germany is becoming increasingly cashless.
To give you another example of how Germany is largely cash based:

When the Lufthansa A380 arrives or departs at MIA, there are frequently sniffer dog for cash as I once on the TV show Miami Airport 24/7 saw two German doctors carrying $20K cash... It isn't a problem with the quantity of cash you have but rather if you fail to declare anything over $10K.

They are losing lots of revenue as those who want to purchase something can't and those who want to get rid of their last Ł's and give them to Cruz.

You'd think Cruz would take all the money he can get...

Last edited by miamiflyer8; May 4, 2017 at 5:30 am
Old May 4, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BA6948
It is laughable that some still believe BA is doing it to give choice and quality. On routes to Band 4, BA used to give quality and choice (hot meal tray) but that has been taken away. On other routes the offering was not bad (flat breads, wraps or full breakfast on domestic).
+1.

Is it really choice and quality to have to pay for water and coffee?

Well it sure is a choice as I don't want to pay Ł2.30 for a hot beverage on a "full service" carrier but it ain't quality to me other than bad quality.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:25 am

Another cutting review on airlinequality.com. There are some passengers that valued the old service who don't bother with the new "quality and choice" offered by rip off BA.

Flew Nice to London with British Airways in economy. Won't bother again. Moving most of my travel to KLM/LH now where I can at least get a complimentary G&T. BA nice flight had minimal legroom, only 1 lavatory at the back (with aisle blocked however by crew selling buy on board). So low cost. So over them.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:33 am

Reports on twitter on flights coming back from Funchal and Athens without food after the first few rows. passengers are pissed and angry on twitter. Shambles continue!
Old May 4, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by layz
Did the card readers accept card types common outside Germany? I remember many ticket machines would accept EC and Maestro, neither any use for a UK resident.
I used a Halifax issued Mastercard and it worked fine on the DB machines, at the station vendors, REWE and Europa Park. I used cash for everything else (museums etc). The machines are basically the same type as the UK Contactless ones with icons for VISA, Mastercard and (IIRC) AMEX.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948
Reports on twitter on flights coming back from Funchal and Athens without food after the first few rows. passengers are pissed and angry on twitter. Shambles continue!
I'm sure the volume of twitter complaints will rise when they finally roll out wifi onboard, when people are able to tweet in real time!
Old May 4, 2017, 11:49 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Remember that the Wifi will have a price, it will not be free. And if it's organised by the same team, the whole plane will have a throughout of 1MB total

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.