Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is an information based guide for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, focusing specifically on information for what is available for purchase and how to buy items from the menu. The first post has the current menu and an FAQ, by all means ask other questions if not already answered. This thread is not concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce buy on board.

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (January 2021) can be found in post #189

Menu archive:
January-March 2020 menu post 153
October-December 2019 menu post 5 (separate thread)
May-September 2019 menu post 150
January-April 2019 menu post 144
September-December 2018 menu post 125
May-September 2018 menu post 115
January-April 2018 menu post 112
Autumn/Winter 2017 menu post 94
Summer 2017 menu post 91
January 2017 menu post 43
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Maybe there are no salads because they take up more space than sandwiches and which the galleys don‘t have?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
The loss of bacon rolls on the morning service is plain stupid but let's take this a step further.

On Air Asia I can preorder my food thus avoiding the idiocy of not have BOB yet the great BA is unable to offer such a simple service.

BA is a shambles from top to bottom in terms of customer service and I'm talking about Waterhouse not the poor staff on board whose life would be much easier if these things were all simply done by pre order.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by smokie36
On Air Asia I can preorder my food thus avoiding the idiocy of not have BOB yet the great BA is unable to offer such a simple service.
easyJet also offer it, which is surprising given the complexity of their network (BA only loading catering in 4 locations for the entire shorthaul operation, easyJet load catering in 4 places in Scotland alone). I don't think it is that popular yet, but they do offer special online deals, since there won't be any wastage on this business. There again easyJet own their BoB process and it's a key money maker. BA's outsourced it, and so while it makes a bit of money, its key job was to remove ET catering costs entirely.
smokie36 and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
The bacon roll on BOB was okay. Shame it’s gone.

I recently flew with Jet2 and they’ve binned their bacon baguette too.

Hope EasyJet don’t ditch the bacon too.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by smokie36
The loss of bacon rolls on the morning service is plain stupid but let's take this a step further.

BA is a shambles from top to bottom in terms of customer service and I'm talking about Waterhouse not the poor staff on board whose life would be much easier if these things were all simply done by pre order.
That won’t happen as they don’t have space for larger meals, the logistic including delivery would be a nightmare for the CC manning ET (remember LCCs have all CC manning a single cabin and BA can’t even complete a BoB service to all passengers in some flights) and if real quality meals were to be introduced, CE wouldn’t have any purpose (same seats or worse if u think of exit rows). Seen on twitter a passenger saying that Titan CCs were asking BA to load more food without any success as they faced anger for slow delivery and low stocks.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
And no salad... just sandwiches or sandwiches.
You heart does indeed sink a little when confronted with such a bland (and less-than-healthy !) range of food choices - stretching as they do very little beyond bread, bread .... and more bread, along with ham, cheese, or chicken. Cheese also appears in two of the much-hyped vegetarian sandwiches. Nothing in the way of salads or sushi, or any other such options as offered by M&S in-store.

If the only aim is simply to ensure that passengers stave off any hunger pangs during their flight then, fine I guess, and mission accomplished. But a menu so dominated by sandwiches offers little excitement, and instead has all the appearance of being stuck in a 1970’s time warp, with barely a nod to the multitude of nutritious foodie innovations seen - even within the ‘grab-and-go’ market - over the last four decades or so.

Pricing was of course discussed in detail when BoB first appeared (along with BA’s own suspect claims made at the time). Some FT-ers are no doubt happy with the prices, and others rather less so. Personally I still don’t understand why items as simple as a can of coke, or bottle of spring water, need be charged at around four or five times the typical retail cost, given that the original implied objective of BoB was purely to remove from BA’s balance sheet the costs previously associated with included ET catering.

In summary, it’s the woeful lack of imagination that I find so striking in this latest menu. It’s disappointing to see that, when BA’s people sit down with M&S, this is the best result of their joint efforts.

A shame that those responsible for putting together the actual content of the food menu aren’t as resourceful / imaginative as the photographer.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
The bacon roll on BOB was okay. Shame it’s gone.

I recently flew with Jet2 and they’ve binned their bacon baguette too.

Hope EasyJet don’t ditch the bacon too.
Agreed let's hope they don't make a rasher decision
smokie36 and jfallesen like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BA6948

That won’t happen as they don’t have space for larger meals, the logistic including delivery would be a nightmare for the CC manning ET (remember LCCs have all CC manning a single cabin and BA can’t even complete a BoB service to all passengers in some flights) and if real quality meals were to be introduced, CE wouldn’t have any purpose (same seats or worse if u think of exit rows). Seen on twitter a passenger saying that Titan CCs were asking BA to load more food without any success as they faced anger for slow delivery and low stocks.
In fact the service on Air Asia takes about five minutes to serve all of the passengers who have preordered food so that line of argument is utterly false.

BA simply aren't interested in offering a service to their economy passengers is the message they are really sending out....if I was in ET now I'd be stocking up before boarding on any flight.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
This is the new Buy on Board menu:

KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:36 am

What is new about it? (Other than the cover I assume...)

Thanks for posting though!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
What is new about it? (Other than the cover I assume...)

Thanks for posting though!
Some super nut bars, shortbread and the Glow tea. One beer was enhanced away (I think there were 4, now 3). Sandwiches are all the same, as is the tapas platter. Poor menu to be honest, still no salads or other healthier options than those sandwiches...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I was going to say, it looks like the same rubbish in the previous menu, which I have just been reading through now (having abandoned this thread quite some time ago). So glad I don't fly BA so I don't have to put up with this. SWISS (LX) have also started BoB on Geneva flights, but at least the offering is a bit better quality. LX seems to be the only airline that has recently gone this route though.
florens likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but as an update - contactless payment including Apple Pay is now accepted. On a last minute trip from Geneva on Sunday I paid using my Apple Watch, no issues, although it didn't show on the status screen (similar to a normal Apple Pay transaction) until the following morning.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mtikky
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but as an update - contactless payment including Apple Pay is now accepted. On a last minute trip from Geneva on Sunday I paid using my Apple Watch, no issues, although it didn't show on the status screen (similar to a normal Apple Pay transaction) until the following morning.
Likewise I was able to use Google pay last Friday, though they couldn't take Amex contactless. Transaction showed up around 8 hours later.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Summer 2019 (starting 1 May)

Here is the new menu, quite a lot of changes.

ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.