Search

Sleeping with a mask on lie flat seat?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Sleeping with a mask on lie flat seat?

Just a quick question.
What's BA's official/non official policy on sleeping without a mask in a lie flat business class seat?
Have LAX-LHR trip coming up.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Why would you think it's okay? Mask on at all times, unless actively eating or drinking. I've been able to sleep while wearing a mask on a TATL flight in biz, you can too.
Markie, roberto99, renila and 27 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC
I found it surprisingly okay on two flights in the past week. Even with an eye mask on.
​​​​​​
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Not a problem. If you have any concerns you might want to change to a cloth mask while sleeping which is more comfortable - I usually do that although wear an N95 for the rest of the time when distancing is less easy.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I did the change to a cloth one that attaches round back of head rather than hooking on ears. Made sleeping more comfortable. It was fine and I slept 7 hours on a 9.5 hour flight.
renila, CO-PLAT and Phrastus like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:46 am

When I was in this situation (J LAX-LHR) last month I wore an N95 for most of the time, started sleeping with it, but after a bit of itching and humidity while asleep changed to a cloth mask. Had a very good and restful night's sleep.
No excuses for not wearing a mask while asleep even in a flat bed.
CO-PLAT, nk15, DoB840 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by dlaue
Just a quick question.
What's BA's official/non official policy on sleeping without a mask in a lie flat business class seat?
Have LAX-LHR trip coming up.
Practice at home if you’re worried
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
Why would you think it's okay? Mask on at all times, unless actively eating or drinking. I've been able to sleep while wearing a mask on a TATL flight in biz, you can too.
Originally Posted by GBOAC
...No excuses for not wearing a mask while asleep even in a flat bed.
To be fair to the OP, and before we go down the old face mask rabbit hole, I think they are just asking what BA's policy is
NoY, SKT-DK, Krisz and 23 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
To be fair to the OP, and before we go down the old face mask rabbit hole, I think they are just asking what BA's policy is
Well said, Karfa. Nowhere did the OP indicate they were not willing to wear one. Just a question.
NoY, sueco6 and plancast like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:54 am
formerly JackDann

I feel like i'd rather sleep with the duvet over my head than a mask over my mouth to be honest - or do you still have to wear a mask even if your face is completely covered by your duvet?
Howard Long, xiphoid76 and Rim1 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:55 am
formerly JackDann

Because not all airlines adopt this policy.
NoY and Colesmore like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Very well put and a good reminder to us all that at times we can read more into a question than is there, I am certaily guilty of this at times.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I’ve taken 7 overnight RT long hauls since November 2020. Never had any issues sleeping with a mask on . I find the cloth masks more breathable compared to any others. I used BA from NYC to London in the summer and slept fine
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And the policy is that BA expect people to sleep with their masks on. Crew vary in terms of how strictly this is imposed, but the policy is very clear: masks on all times except for the specific and time limited need to eat or drink. This is made clear in an announcement at the start of the flight, and in the case of the USA it's not just a BA requirement but also the American government's stance on this is also very clear

But going mildly off piste, I find sleeping with a mask on easier than when awake, given that breathing slows down during sleep.
roberto99, renila, KARFA and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Because you don't know what other people's experiences are with masks. If you have anxiety issues about breathing, or you have asthma or other breathing restrictions you're not going to get a good night's rest.

"I can" therefore "So can everyone" isn't really a good way to engage and can become rather judgemental, particularly as the whole issue is increasingly shrouded in virtue signalling.

As others have said though, I'm sure 'masks on planes' despite pre flight Covid testing has been done to death. The question is abut airline policy (and in practice how much it is policed),

Last edited by ukgooner; Nov 23, 2021 at 10:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.