Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is an information based guide for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, focusing specifically on information for what is available for purchase and how to buy items from the menu. The first post has the current menu and an FAQ, by all means ask other questions if not already answered. This thread is not concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce buy on board.

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (January 2021) can be found in post #189

Menu archive:
January-March 2020 menu post 153
October-December 2019 menu post 5 (separate thread)
May-September 2019 menu post 150
January-April 2019 menu post 144
September-December 2018 menu post 125
May-September 2018 menu post 115
January-April 2018 menu post 112
Autumn/Winter 2017 menu post 94
Summer 2017 menu post 91
January 2017 menu post 43
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Deltus
Is the tonic water served with ice and lemon?
Yes it is, on request. It was also offered for my sparkling water.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jonrross
Interesting how Bronze,Silver, and Gold don't need the app. I guess this casts doubt on the "wiggle the app" suggestions as a way to verify people's Avios balance. Presumably they're relying on anyone with status making up the Avios later (if not in credit).
Simply because those levels have a physical card, Blue level doesn't. Bronze and higher can use the app, or we can type your number in. There's no on line check of your Avios balance. If you go overdrawn, it's expected that you'll soon earn some Avios to cover the overdraft. No idea what Executive Club will do if you just run up a massive overdraft. Who wants to be the first to try??!!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes it is, on request. It was also offered for my sparkling water.
But you presumably don't get it with the free 'tap water' ?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
Just to clarify, there are no exceptions for pax on First itineraries?

We fly SIN-LHR-EDI in First in a few days, and we would have to pay for a coffee on the domestic sector?
Seriously?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by McCoy

We fly SIN-LHR-EDI in First in a few days, and we would have to pay for a coffee on the domestic sector?
Seriously?
Correct -- When BA introduces domestic business class that problem will go away but there is no short-term "make good." You'll be treated the same as everyone in Y.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Is the tonic water served with ice and lemon? If we bring our own miniatures, can we get a convenient G&T for a cheap 1.50?

Wouldn't this be in breach of aviation law?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by philthegreek
Wouldn't this be in breach of aviation law?
Bringing your own booze onboard? Appears not, I asked earlier in the thread, and its fine with BA.

Of course, there's now a gap in the market for a BA 100ml hip flask. Perhaps with a prize for first spotted confirmation of one of those being filled in GF (might be harder to do subtly than say GC T5B)..
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Thanks cws!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by McCoy

Seriously?
That's right
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Has anyone tried to claim a refund for their BoB purchases on flights booked before BoB was announced? I eventually extracted my 1k avios "compensation" from CR last year, but obviously that's not close to covering the cost of several drinks on multiple bookings. Any insights into what CR will do if I send them the receipts from my first BoB flights next week?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any insights into what CR will do if I send them the receipts from my first BoB flights next week?
How much experience do you have in extracting blood from stones?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
From what I am aware, apple pay is exactly the same as contactless without the payment limit, so i don't see why it wouldn't be accepted.
All Apple Pay transactions except Mass Transit go online for authorisation, to verify that the underlying card is still good and the device hasn't been stolen. (A physical card does not need to do this as after more than a certain value or number of contactless transactions it will require a chip & PIN transaction to be conducted before any more contactless transactions will work.) As the onboard equipment cannot go online it will not, as I understand it, accept mobile-based payment applications.
Originally Posted by Jonrross
Interesting how Bronze,Silver, and Gold don't need the app. I guess this casts doubt on the "wiggle the app" suggestions as a way to verify people's Avios balance. Presumably they're relying on anyone with status making up the Avios later (if not in credit).
They don't issue cards to blue members any more AFAIK.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Calling all ye tomato juice lovers

You may have noticed there isn’t a tomato juice on the BOB menu. There is however a pre-mixed spiced tomato juice concoction. Its called Big Tom and you may already be aware of it as you’ll find Big Tom in most supermarkets in the UK. It even carries the Royal Warrant.

So if you order a Big Tom, you’ll receive a 150ml serving plus the usual cup loaded with ice and lemon. There is no option to add a dash of Lea & Perrins.

My own verdict: Big Tom lacks the freshness of the old Sunpride Tomato Juice (with the familiar ice, spice, n slice accoutrement). Its also very high in sodium - five times higher than Sunpride. As a matter of fact I found it also tastes incredibly salty and after drinking, it knokcked my tastebuds a little out of whack - to restore balance I’ve been chugging stupid amounts of water all evening.

The 150ml serving costs 1.50 or 200 Avios. Order with caution
Attached Images  
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Prospero
Calling all ye tomato juice lovers

You may have noticed there isnt a tomato juice on the BOB menu. There is however a pre-mixed spiced tomato juice concoction. Its called Big Tom and you may already be aware of it as youll find Big Tom in most supermarkets in the UK. It even carries the Royal Warrant.

So if you order a Big Tom, youll receive a 150ml serving plus the usual cup loaded with ice and lemon. There is no option to add a dash of Lea & Perrins.

My own verdict: Big Tom lacks the freshness of the old Sunpride Tomato Juice (with the familiar ice, spice, n slice accoutrement). Its also very high in sodium - five times higher than Sunpride. As a matter of fact I found it also tastes incredibly salty and after drinking, it knokcked my tastebuds a little out of whack - to restore balance Ive been chugging stupid amounts of water all evening.

The 150ml serving costs 1.50 or 200 Avios. Order with caution
Doesn't sound tempting. Reminds me of AA and their insistence to serve me their Mr T rather than the regular tomato juice 50% of the time I ask for the later. That stuff always seems to have the salt contents of all the salares in the entire Atacama desert...
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Doesn't sound tempting. Reminds me of AA and their insistence to serve me their Mr T rather than the regular tomato juice 50% of the time I ask for the later. That stuff always seems to have the salt contents of all the salares in the entire Atacama desert...
Mr & Mrs T, please

YMMV clearly applies, as we like it.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.