Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is an information based guide for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, focusing specifically on information for what is available for purchase and how to buy items from the menu. The first post has the current menu and an FAQ, by all means ask other questions if not already answered. This thread is not concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce buy on board.

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (January 2021) can be found in post #189

Menu archive:
January-March 2020 menu post 153
October-December 2019 menu post 5 (separate thread)
May-September 2019 menu post 150
January-April 2019 menu post 144
September-December 2018 menu post 125
May-September 2018 menu post 115
January-April 2018 menu post 112
Autumn/Winter 2017 menu post 94
Summer 2017 menu post 91
January 2017 menu post 43
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

In the picture above, the products are in 20cl bottles for £10, which suggests 4 drinks, so ideal for couples (ahem), and works out at half the onboard price. Mixers are generally, but not always, available at the same price as BA.
(my bold)

I've never been a big user of 'duty-free' airport shops ; but with such savings versus BoB prices, I think I might soon become one .....!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

In the picture above, the products are in 20cl bottles for £10, which suggests 4 drinks, so ideal for couples (ahem), and works out at half the onboard price. Mixers are generally, but not always, available at the same price as BA.
Is the £4.99 selection also 20cl bottles? If they match the big sign that is even cheaper although not necessarily great brands?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Is the £4.99 selection also 20cl bottles? If they match the big sign that is even cheaper although not necessarily great brands?
No, the top banner isn't fully aligned with the contents below. Essentially it's £5 for the 50ml meaures and £10 for the 20cl flasks. The photos are a subset of a wider banner, it's not so mismatched on the ground.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
So basically everyone will now try to steal drinks from the lounge to bring on board? - Can't wait until they introduce bag checks before leaving the lounge
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:07 am

CSM has just come to my seat with an iPad. I'm in Y to TXL
  • Its a momentus day - are you aware of the change?
  • The product is quality
  • Any feedback at the end please come forward. She has a long report.
Everyone is on their toes.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Are we going to get a CWS walk-through guide for where to pick up the various components of your G&T airside? Anywhere selling ice and lemon?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
No, the top banner isn't fully aligned with the contents below. Essentially it's £5 for the 50ml meaures and £10 for the 20cl flasks. The photos are a subset of a wider banner, it's not so mismatched on the ground.
Thanks!! ^
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stair Way
So basically everyone will now try to steal drinks from the lounge to bring on board? - Can't wait until they introduce bag checks before leaving the lounge
According to what I've seen on here no doubt some will. Then again, they've openly admitted to doing it well before BOB arrived anyway.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
So bOB (bring On Board) is a new one to me, thought that was illegal under uk law....

Seems as if £5 for a miniature is a tad overpriced, what will security do if I fill up a 100ml bottle with Vodka and bring through in clear plastic bag?

What about a previous opened Smirnoff 50ml one, refilled with something like Morrinov (used to be the name for Morissons vodka)? So its clear the seal has been cracked? I know most security don't look at the bags, but will they have reason to go "eh?" or on a random pull?

Personally never really used BA shorthaul Y except for a couple of weeks ago, seems as I won't be in the future either, to me this was always about the booze, the loss of the shockingly tiny bag of nuts handed out wasn't anything to be mourned....

Sales of 100ml hip flasks going up?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
1. Can you use contactless?
2. What happens if you have a chip-less credit card?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
1. Can you use contactless?
2. What happens if you have a chip-less credit card?
I know 2 is OK, since there is a PIN system generally. I don't think I've seen a confirmation about contactless yet, so I'll add that above to post 1.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:46 am

Contactless is available according to a crew member today. I didn't see it tested though.

In fact, it should be preferred as PIN-entering and handing over of terminals is fairly time-consuming.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Contactless is available according to a crew member today. I didn't see it tested though.

In fact, it should be preferred as PIN-entering and handing over of terminals is fairly time-consuming.
Thanks for that, it crossed over a post I directed towards ThatT1Feeling, but putting his reply and yours together I think we're safe to say contactless is there and preferred.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Smid
So bOB (bring On Board) is a new one to me, thought that was illegal under uk law....

Seems as if £5 for a miniature is a tad overpriced, what will security do if I fill up a 100ml bottle with Vodka and bring through in clear plastic bag?

What about a previous opened Smirnoff 50ml one, refilled with something like Morrinov (used to be the name for Morissons vodka)? So its clear the seal has been cracked? I know most security don't look at the bags, but will they have reason to go "eh?" or on a random pull?

Personally never really used BA shorthaul Y except for a couple of weeks ago, seems as I won't be in the future either, to me this was always about the booze, the loss of the shockingly tiny bag of nuts handed out wasn't anything to be mourned....

Sales of 100ml hip flasks going up?
I wouldn't have thought security would know or care whether it was water, Chanel No 5, or vodka, as long as the bottle is less than 100mls and in the appropriate clear bag...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:26 pm

On BA (unlike I think all other UK airlines) you can consume your own alcohol on board but we can remove it from you if you are becoming intoxicated and it will be returned to you after landing.

The ipads can do contactless but it isn't working at the moment (surprise surprise&#128513. We can swipe, do chip and pin, and if that doesn't work, type the details in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.