FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seat cushion completely missing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1813745-seat-cushion-completely-missing.html)

T8191 Jan 8, 2017 12:49 pm

Noting my friend c-w-s' comment, there are nevertheless 2 issues which I encourage the OP to follow:

1. is the compensation (IMO fiscal, rather than Avios) for an awful experience that was badly handled at the point of contact. It is for the OP, in a different legislature, to determine which process works best, but substantial cash refund is certainly due. BA Customer Service is almost a complete waste of time/effort these days, for whatever reason you choose.

2. is the regulatory aspect, and I firmly believe BA should NOT be allowed to get away with flying 2 pax in unserviceable seats in contravention of their operating licence. Thus, regardless of how ponderous the CAA might be in this context, I don't think BA should be let off the hook by 'resolving the matter internally'. If this is the 'BA of 2012' it needs to be brought to book ... sharply!

Yes, Washington DC, I'm well aware of how awful BA can be. That's why all our l/h bookings are now with AA ;)

subject2load Jan 8, 2017 12:51 pm

I do wish you luck in your efforts AirNurse - and, as already prompted by c-w-s, please try to keep us informed as to further developments.

Given that this was a lengthy eleven hour sector, the situation strikes me as tantamount to paying for a night's accommodation in a hotel (and a very expensive night at that !), only to find that you were not provided with a bed ; BUT in this case your own experience was aggravated, in legal parlance, by potentially serious safety-related ramifications.

Crampedin13A Jan 8, 2017 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27726186)
It's not a good situation, and though I guess you could try whistling the aviation authorities / CAA - and that process wise is the best thing to do - nevertheless I know how this will work. Or rather not work. It will just drown.

I find this quite concerning not just in this case but in others that might come up. Obviously you would certainly know a lot more of how this process works than myself(who knows nothing;)) and most other people here but in other words it seems like BA could just muddy the waters with their lawyers and drag it's feet and the bureaucracy involved would let a blatant safety violation just eventually get swept under the rug. Perhaps the media is the way to go then with these type of transgressions.

simons1 Jan 8, 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 27726264)
2. is the regulatory aspect, and I firmly believe BA should NOT be allowed to get away with flying 2 pax in unserviceable seats in contravention of their operating licence. Thus, regardless of how ponderous the CAA might be in this context, I don't think BA should be let off the hook by 'resolving the matter internally'. If this is the 'BA of 2012' it needs to be brought to book ... sharply!

I agree and would encourage the OP to bring it to regulatory attention.

It is precisely because of the 'there is no point/you won't get anywhere' etc etc mentality that airlines get away with this. If more people reported it then it would send a message to the CAA.

The next person to sit in that seat might be sat there in an emergency evacuation, which have not been unknown on BA in recent years.

ExpatSomchai Jan 8, 2017 1:42 pm

Do you have any pictures of the offending article?

John Kline Jan 8, 2017 1:49 pm

Can the offending airframe be identified or at least the flight number so we consult BA source?

florens Jan 8, 2017 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by John Kline (Post 27726612)
Can the offending airframe be identified or at least the flight number so we consult BA source?

It was in reply #42. (BA269, G-XLEE)

John Kline Jan 8, 2017 1:53 pm

*** apologies overlooked that post***

T8191 Jan 8, 2017 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 27726574)
Do you have any pictures of the offending article?

Post #44 ... "Did not think to take photos." :p

FlyerTalker39574 Jan 8, 2017 2:14 pm

We know the Daily Telegraph read these threads, re 2 tea bag gate, so they might be getting in touch.
The Purser is at fault for letting the craft depart in these circumstances.

scillyisles Jan 8, 2017 2:25 pm

Dreadful experience for the original poster and husband. The fact that BA let this plane fly with two seats in this condition speaks volumes about what the company thinks about their fare paying customers but even more worryingly indicates that safety is probably being compromised at BA with their management approach of cut , cut and yet more cuts.
I would urge the op to bring this to the attention of the authorities as unless BA is brought to task about this, I fear the trend will continue with the consequent risks to passengers and crew that compromising safety entails.

ahmetdouas Jan 8, 2017 2:35 pm

This is unbelievable. If I saw that 2 seats were broken to the extent they were and there was no other seat on the entire plane !? (which i find hard to believe to be honest that there is no seats at all on the plane to spare in all classes), I would certainly have kicked up a fuss which would have led me to be given IDB and put on the next flight with BA giving me a good amount of compensation for 2 people!

If you had a picture of this seat failing, it would have definitely attracted the interest of the media as BA wouldn't be able to hide from the fallout with picture proof of this.

As current things stand, do call British Airways Customer Service, but also take it up with the CAA and even the FAA (after all the plane did fly into US soil).
If customer service does not play ball, then do what the previous posters recommended and go the online legal option.

Please keep us informed!

And next time, if this ever happens to you again, now you know what to do = )

Prospero Jan 8, 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by scillyisles (Post 27726825)
The fact that BA let this plane fly with two seats in this condition speaks volumes about what the company thinks about their fare paying customers but even more worryingly indicates that safety is probably being compromised at BA with their management approach of cut , cut and yet more cuts.

While is it obvious the SOP was not followed on this occasion, I think you may be reading too much into this.

IAN-UK Jan 8, 2017 3:17 pm

Silly question - but what do you reckon happened to the seat squab?

IAN-UK Jan 8, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm waiting for someone to come along and say

look, this happens on all airlines, so stop making a song and dance about it happening on BA

and now i mention it - not a single person has blamed the OP, or suggested it's a wind-up :eek: