Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy on Board: Cabin crew "can't wait"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Wow. So you read their annual report but still can't spell their name. To give facts it's Ryanair.
Originally Posted by navylad
I suspect that they will be disappointed, not only will they have to push the trolley, but process the transaction every time someone buys something. I know FR makes approx Ł2-3K per flight it wouldn't be unreasonable to think BA's income would be in the same region.
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
According to Ryan Air's Annual Report - page 53 - they get Euros 14.74 per pax in ancillary revenue --

ancillary services including hotels, car hire, reserved seating, airport security fast track, parking and airport transfers.

Page 95 -- BOB - inflight sales is just Euros 153 million (9.8%) of total ancillary revenues --

So inflight sales equate to about Euros 1.5 per pax (Ryan Air carries about 100 million pax annually) --

On a flight with 150 pax - Ryan Air is averaging about Euros 225 in all BOB sales - which apparently also includes train tickets, lottery tickets, etc. a far cry from GBP 2000-3000.

Sorry to interject facts. @:-)
Originally Posted by navylad
as I understand it that is profit not revenue, perhaps you can tell us how the costs are accounted for in this calculation; do they include transaction costs, CC time, logistics costs of loading the stuff onto the aircraft etc. Happy to discuss offline rather than clog up the forum.

In any case, we must get back on topic IAW the flyertalk rules. :-)
Pretty basic info from a P+L -- these are revenue numbers - Ryanair doesn't breakout the COGS (cost of goods sold) for their BOB - and they lump commissions from BOB into salaries so you can't specifically figure out how much they make or lose selling BOB products. That said, total sales are Euros 156 million from BOB and total revenue is Euros 6.9 billion. Their profit before tax was Euros $1.4 billion. In other words, it is relatively small - I would take a wild guess and say BOB contributes Euros 15-30 million in annual profit.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by shefgab
Will the crew also get commission on products paid for using Avios? Will crew start to get paid in Avios?
I actually need to read this forum properly for my own benefit once in a while to work out how best to use my accumulated Avios.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:58 am

I think CC will initially find it incredibly frustrating.

A fair percentage of passengers will look rather confused when asked to pay for the items they've asked for. Many will then phaff around with cash only to be told it's cards or Avios only. During which they'll complain to CC about how terrible it is that they're being asked to pay. All in all a chore for all concerned.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lite
The actual products themselves though are very nice, having just completed my own Percy Pig training, as it's been dubbed by crew. I think it'll be interesting to see how it works and continues to evolve.
Yes, I think you make a good point here. There are some entrenched positions to be had on this subject, which is fair/fare enough, but it is also not unreasonable to watch what happens, see how it works out, and see how passengers and company react. The current menu and set-up won't last forever, BA will at least evolve this area, and customers too in their behaviours.

One interesting point is that BA's operational cabin crew is generally one less than easyJet, so that will share the dividend more generously. Consequently on the longer runs we may see more than the current one or two trolley runs and more overt over the galley sales. There will also be tremendous pressure on management to keep get the stock management right, otherwise BA, cabin crew and consenting passengers will all miss out. And that's not always the case at the moment.

Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

A side discussion about the catering product has been moved over to the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...hort-haul.html thread, allowing us to focus on the crew angle established in this thread's discussion.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I think you make a good point here. There are some entrenched positions to be had on this subject, which is fair/fare enough, but it is also not unreasonable to watch what happens, see how it works out, and see how passengers and company react. The current menu and set-up won't last forever, BA will at least evolve this area, and customers too in their behaviours.

One interesting point is that BA's operational cabin crew is generally one less than easyJet, so that will share the dividend more generously. Consequently on the longer runs we may see more than the current one or two trolley runs and more overt over the galley sales. There will also be tremendous pressure on management to keep get the stock management right, otherwise BA, cabin crew and consenting passengers will all miss out. And that's not always the case at the moment.

i did used to like these pigs. i do wonder whether too much sugar on flights is a good thing though. i used to eat these at work to keep me awake!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I thought below was an interesting table I hadn't seen before from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/li...-in-the-world/

Really goes to show how much opportunity BA has to gather in extra monies from BOB and additional extra charges.

Came across it trying to see if there was a legal definition of "What is a Low Cost Carrier" - there isn't really, but according to most metrics BA is a Budget Carrier now (" To make up for revenue lost in decreased ticket prices, the airline may charge for extras like food, priority boarding, seat allocating, and baggage etc

From Law Dictionary: What is BUDGET AIRLINE? definition of BUDGET AIRLINE (Black's Law Dictionary))"

TOP 10 | The airlines that earn most from extra charges

United - $6,199,000,000 (Ł4.8bn)
American - $4,718,000,000 (Ł3.6bn)
Delta - $3,775,102,000 (Ł2.9bn)
Air France/KLM - $2,165,996,840 (Ł1.66bn)
Southwest - $2,118,600,000 (Ł1.63bn)
Ryanair - $1,738,783,339 (Ł1.3bn)
Lufthansa Group - $1,493,634,397 (Ł1.15bn)
easyJet - Ł1,465,956,723 (Ł1.09bn)
Qantas - $1,167,168,403 (Ł900m)
Alaska Air - $1,092,000,000 (Ł840m)

Source: Idea Works, aviation industry analyst

Last edited by Sam Bee; Jan 7, 2017 at 7:32 am Reason: Cant right propre
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We will get commission on Avios sales.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
I think CC will initially find it incredibly frustrating.

A fair percentage of passengers will look rather confused when asked to pay for the items they've asked for. Many will then phaff around with cash only to be told it's cards or Avios only. During which they'll complain to CC about how terrible it is that they're being asked to pay. All in all a chore for all concerned.
i hope they have some signage and videos to help staff deal with all the aggro.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Can I help you
We will get commission on Avios sales.
Will this make SH more attractive versus LH which will not have commission do you think?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Nuster
Will this make SH more attractive versus LH which will not have commission do you think?
Do mixed fleet have an option on bidding for LH vs SH? Are WW crew a bit annoyed about not having the chance to get commission? (although saying that i'm sure i'd rather be on a WW contract than MF or EF)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:01 am

I fly AerLingus a lot. I don't think I've ever been on a flight where more than a handful of pax ordered anything. Mind you these are short hops to LHR or AMS, it's probably significantly more on longer leisure routes to the Med where there's going to be more children annoying their parents and the flights take 3-4 hours rather than 60-90 minutes.

I would say that their workload is still significant because they still have to *offer* everyone the food, drink and duty free stuff. If there's a reduction in workload compared to a short-haul with snack and drink service, it's relatively minor.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I fly AerLingus a lot. I don't think I've ever been on a flight where more than a handful of pax ordered anything. Mind you these are short hops to LHR or AMS, it's probably significantly more on longer leisure routes to the Med where there's going to be more children annoying their parents and the flights take 3-4 hours rather than 60-90 minutes.

I would say that their workload is still significant because they still have to *offer* everyone the food, drink and duty free stuff. If there's a reduction in workload compared to a short-haul with snack and drink service, it's relatively minor.
it's my experience too on EI, U2, etc. I don't even think length makes a big difference but the one exception are early morning flights when more people seem to get tea or coffee and sometimes something to eat. Still I can't remember a BoB flight where crew have to serve more than a person/group every 4th-8th row.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One interesting point is that BA's operational cabin crew is generally one less than easyJet, so that will share the dividend more generously.
Not really, easyJet don't have Business Class so if you account for Club Europe earning nothing it probably means the commission slice would be similar.

To be fair, I can understand why the crew are looking forward to it. BA pay the same as other airlines for the Mixed Fleet crew, yet the other airlines generally all do BoB and offer commission so their crew actually earn more in real terms.

I think BoB is going to work out just fine for BA.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by HilFly
Until they have sold the only three packs of pigs that were loaded.
but they can only sell 1 packet to save some for the flight back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.