Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Event driven equipment changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Event driven equipment changes

On a related note to this post I'm always surprised that BA don't seem to do equipment changes on a macro level. Do they ever put on larger aircraft based on event driven demand? Mobile World Congress in Barcelona always drives crazy fares and completely sold out flights but is served by A320s. Heathrow to BCN on 26th of Feb returning 2nd March is almost completely sold out despite the fact the fare is £1k+ in ET.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:25 am

AUH went from the 789 to a 773 during the F1 weekend this year, but I can't say if that was a coincidence or not.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by goodison
On a related note to this post I'm always surprised that BA don't seem to do equipment changes on a macro level. Do they ever put on larger aircraft based on event driven demand? Mobile World Congress in Barcelona always drives crazy fares and completely sold out flights but is served by A320s. Heathrow to BCN on 26th of Feb returning 2nd March is almost completely sold out despite the fact the fare is £1k+ in ET.
You are absolutely right! TK is known for its exceptional flexibility in changing aircraft types, you sometimes have IST-ESB or IST-ADB (45 minute flights) with 77W's during peak periods or IRROPS, while regularly you would have A319's/320/321/737-800's.

You know months ahead exactly what type of plane BA will have on any route, and so far the plane type I have been on has never changed from the plane type I booked.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
The MIPIM conference in Cannes saw a 777 rotation to NCE last year - along with an armada of E90s to LCY
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Mobile World Congress in Barcelona always drives crazy fares and completely sold out flights but is served by A320s. Heathrow to BCN on 26th of Feb returning 2nd March is almost completely sold out despite the fact the fare is £1k+ in ET.
But what would be the yield if BA put a long-haul aircraft on the route instead? Could BA still charge £1K per seat with a larger aircraft, or would it have to reduce prices to get the optimum revenue from it? What would be the profit made by that aircraft that day? And how much profit would BA give up on the normal long-haul rotation that the aircraft would otherwise operate?

Although only insiders would know what the actual numbers are, it's not difficult to imagine a scenario in which it is more profitable for BA to use its capacity/resources in the usual way and just rake in the high-yield fares on the short-haul route than to increase capacity on the short-haul route by cancelling a long-haul rotation.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
They could get IB to operate the flight with a widebody.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I think the issue is also lack of airframes.

even a short rotation still needs the a/c for a good 5+ hours and not sure many are not in use (or having service etc) that would allow such swaps.

I am sure they have used larger a/c in strike / weather situations (where lack of planes wasn't an issue).
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:53 am

There's also the turnaround issue. The A320 fleet generally turn around very quickly at outstations - a widebody would need a lot longer.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Not necessarily an equipment change but year before last I flew to Nice on the Sunday afternoon of the Monaco Gran Prix. The plane flew out with an almost empty CE cabin of half the plane - the biggest id ever seen. The rest of the plane was full. Clearly the economics of bringing back lots of CE passengers outweighed the loss of Y revenue on the way out (and given that a return in CE for May half term was £1k vs £150 for ET you can see why!)
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Heathrow to BCN on 26th of Feb returning 2nd March is almost completely sold out despite the fact the fare is £1k+ in ET.
Well, most people won't have payed those prices. It's only when you are last in line to buy a ticket that you only have the most expensive tickets to chose from. Those planning ahead will find much cheaper fares available.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by MrMutton
Not necessarily an equipment change but year before last I flew to Nice on the Sunday afternoon of the Monaco Gran Prix. The plane flew out with an almost empty CE cabin of half the plane - the biggest id ever seen. The rest of the plane was full. Clearly the economics of bringing back lots of CE passengers outweighed the loss of Y revenue on the way out (and given that a return in CE for May half term was £1k vs £150 for ET you can see why!)
I would expect them to still sell economy tickets in that situation and then upgrade some people.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There's also the turnaround issue. The A320 fleet generally turn around very quickly at outstations - a widebody would need a lot longer.
A320 turnaround time is 30min, A321 is 45min.

The 777 is 1hour and 30min. It's not that much of an issue. It's simply BA currently focused on cutting costs, thats why they are not bothering with swiping anything.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Paddy's Day weekend they certainly put the 321s to good use for the LON-DUB routes last year including additional flights from both LHR and LCY
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Skyrocker
A320 turnaround time is 30min, A321 is 45min.

The 777 is 1hour and 30min. It's not that much of an issue. It's simply BA currently focused on cutting costs, thats why they are not bothering with swiping anything.
Doesn't that confirm that turnaround times are an issue? i.e. you can't simply swap a 777 in the usual slot times - you'd need to fiddle the schedule too.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:24 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
In years gone by, BA did used to switch to widebody aircraft for routes with major events. I recall travelling LHR - Hannover (for CeBIT) on a 747. Mightily impressed that the crew were able to complete a full meal service (back in the days when you still got a meal in Economy!) and still had time to do a duty free run too!

These days I think BA prefers to keep things as simple as possible and just seeks to optimise its revenue through the mix of premium J/Y fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.