Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Quick question re departing from Seeb Muscat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick question re departing from Seeb Muscat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:37 am

New airport opens on March 20th (only a few years late...)
he Ministry of Transport and Communications (MoTC) announced on Wednesday that operations at the new passenger Terminal B of Muscat International Airport will begin on March 20.

Announcing the decision on its Twitter account, MoTC said that operations of all incoming and outgoing flights will be transferred from the current airport to the new one on March 20.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I wish them well. I will not be booking any flights to MCT on 19-31 March at least.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Having done this recently:

1. There is no fast track.
There is fast track security both the first one to enter the bag drop area and to the main second security area - just follow the signs for first/business class and you’ll be through.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by rssfed23

There is fast track security both the first one to enter the bag drop area and to the main second security area - just follow the signs for first/business class and you’ll be through.
though the one to enter bag drop area merged with regular queue in a slightly chaotic fashion on Monday...

Premium check-in counter had a notice warning about bussing and gate security, advised going to gate before advertised boarding time which was good advice
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:34 am
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
The road signs are now pointing to the new terminal rather than the still open old terminal. As a result, I had an unwelcome diversion to the new terminal. It did allow me a very close view of the new terminal not having been stopped at the security gates. The ground floor was far from complete and may take a month or so of work yet. The roadways to the first floor passenger level were still being worked on but should be passable by traffic in a few days. The flags were all flying though.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by LPQ
The road signs are now pointing to the new terminal rather than the still open old terminal. As a result, I had an unwelcome diversion to the new terminal. It did allow me a very close view of the new terminal not having been stopped at the security gates. The ground floor was far from complete and may take a month or so of work yet. The roadways to the first floor passenger level were still being worked on but should be passable by traffic in a few days. The flags were all flying though.
Interesting, given that we are just a day and a half from full opening!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
They're still doing better than the Berliners
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Airprox
Interesting, given that we are just a day and a half from full opening!
Hmm. I’m not so sure about that !!

I’ve made two separate visits to Muscat in the early part of March. On the most recent - which happened to be on the 15th - I got into casual conversation with a very pleasant janitor looking after the gents washrooms in the arrival terminal. I commented that I was disappointed to be ‘missing out’ on the swish new airport, by only a matter of days, with its opening set for 20th.
The conversation proceeded thus :

Him : “No, not the 20th”

Me : “But everyone has told me the 20th. Both here in Oman, and back in the UK”

“Yes, that was the official date. But it’s now the 30th. Definitely the 30th”

“How can we be sure it’s the 30th ? The date has been changing for months”

“30th for sure. Final final” he said, with a broad grin.

“Ok. So definitely the 30th. Final final”

As we said our goodbyes, we both chimed in unison “30th, inshallah”

Now ...... you might well be thinking ‘what does an airport janitor know?’.

OR - like me - you might think, the most reliable news often comes from the most unheralded sources.

Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:12 am

I'm on BA79 on Wednesday, so officially should be going to the new Terminal when we arrive on Thursday morning, but of course I'm very skeptical! I also have to collect a hire car, so not a clue what will happen there! Normally none of this would bother me, only this time I'm traveling with family including a child and an infant, so that's going to be fun.

Originally Posted by subject2load
Now ...... you might well be thinking ‘what does an airport janitor know?’.

OR - like me - you might think, the most reliable news often comes from the most unheralded sources.
I'm definitely with you on this, those on the ground there are going to know much more than any official sources.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:16 am

@ Airprox - I’m willing to bet that - for your arrival at least - you’ll find yourself in the old Terminal.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:26 am

Just to add that in my own case, the old terminal functioned perfectly well each time I passed in & out of it, and all personnel I came into contact with were extremely civil.

But of course the new facility is - without doubt - looong overdue !

(I’m not sure whether security checks for international departures (as opposed to regional, which seemed less rigorous) will be quite so exhaustive in the new terminal)

Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:55 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
I've spoken to the Avis rental desk in the old airport. They continue there until 3pm Tuesday 20 March local time. Then they will take their records and computers to the new building. They will have desks in both the new arrivals and departures.

The old arrangements were just so easy. It must be little more than 100 yards from the arrival door to sitting in the car.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:48 am

Interesting feedback (re 20th) from Avis there, LPQ. And it appears to negate my story.

Not long now till D day !
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:13 am

Just received a load of pics from contact in Muscat who assures me that the new terminal really (really) is opening at 3pm today.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:47 am

So indeed we did arrive at the new terminal this morning which is now in use. Obviously lots of issues with everyone getting used to the new terminal, everything took an age. Parked at a stand with two airbridges but neither was used, although one of them at least was working and someone was trained to drive it because they moved it out of the way in order to make space to bring steps to the aircraft. We were then bussed to the terminal about 50 yards away. The doors from the entrance way into the arrivals corridor had not been opened, so eventually someone just pulled them and set off the alarms. Despite the warnings that they would be moving to e-visa only from yesterday, this was not the case and they were still selling visas on arrival. BA are telling everyone that an e-visa is required, this was also what the CSM was saying, but in fact there were certainly a good few people on the flight who did not have one and were enquiring about the visa on arrival process. Being on the first bus and with e-Visas in hand (printed versions absolutely definitely required), we were through immigration in about 10 minutes, but then bags took a very long time. They came out in dribs and drabs of about 5 bags at a time over the course of an hour or so. Overall from 787 wheels on the tarmac to driving out of the car park in our hire car was 2 hours 3 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.