Wiki Posts
Search

BA Bronze vs BA Silver

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
BA Bronze vs BA Silver

Whilst having a look around and seeing those having achieved GGL (), I've just come out of blue status for the first time at 390tp. However I've been thinking:

- Is it worth doing a TLL (£233) r/t for the 200tp (I've got the last 10tp covered) to reach Silver status and therefore: its benefits? or should I just stick with Bronze
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Depending how much you fly, but yes is a general concensus.

The lounge access makes Silver the sweet spot, if you fly lots of ET or WT and want a bit of space pre-flight to relax.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Yes given that the TLL is quite a nice trip in itself anyway, particularly on the A350.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks bhbloke and Airprox!

Yes, the A350 would be nice indeed. Lounge access is also a very sweet benefit in comparison to Bronze.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
I would agree with the above as Bronze makes no real difference to the experience of flying but Silver is a big step up. (And the A350 to TLL sounds like fun!)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:28 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Yes, if you're going to be doing a number of short trips in economy then silver will make a big difference.

Bronze is practically worthless in itself and you will see very little benefit from it.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I'd say if you go on more than 4 return trips a year, this would mean each lounge visit was worth £25-£30 (depending on the actual dates and availability you are able to get), more and the value goes up but in mind this is the tipping point for bronze to silver.

Obviously, depends how much you wish to visit TLL too, and you could obviously earn it in other ways that would give you a couple of trips.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton/Marriott/SPG Gold
As bhbloke says it's very much dependent on how much (economy) flying you have planned for the remainder of this TP year and next - not much point being Silver if you won't use it!

Silver is a big step up from Bronze, and I'm glad I made the effort to pick up the last few TPs to renew. £1.16 per TP is also excellent value.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
TLL is a lovely city, I'm off there tomorrow night (and back on the early Sunday morning A350) and looks like I've timed it perfectly for the fresh snow

(Although just in case I've booked another visit in 2 weeks)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rt112
Silver is a big step up from Bronze, and I'm glad I made the effort to pick up the last few TPs to renew. £1.16 per TP is also excellent value.
What other options (off the top of your head) are good short haul ones going around right now? The minor issue is that I'm a student hence I'm just struggling a bit to find TLL times that suit me. (Nothing at the £1.16 per TP around mid Feb :/)

My TP year ends in April, and I've got a 6 leg Asia holiday planned, all in Y via HK and SIN with my family. I'm probably going somewhere in the summer as well.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
How much flying are you going to do in the next 12 months? Last year, I was Bronze and for the 7 return trips that I undertook for work on BA and the 2 private trips (all in economy), this level worked well for me as I was able to get exit row seats or front row on all bar 1 flight. Priority boarding allowed me to get on the aircraft earlier enough to stow my bags without issues. For my remaining BA flights in CE, there was only 1 flight where I didn't get my favoured 1A or 1F.

This year I have Silver status which will allow lounge access, which is pleasant but not an essential for me, but possibly at the cost of Theoretical seating (see separate thread). If I find that I can't get exit or front row seats during the next 12 months, I'd be happy to stay at Bronze unless BA amends the Bronze benefits to take this perk away.

If it were me in this situation (qualifying for Silver for the first time) I would go for it, especially as it's so easy to get the remaining 200TP's on a run to Tallinn. This would give you a year of Silver benefits to compare and decide what is best for you. Good luck.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Having just moved silver to bronze , I don't miss the lounge, do miss the extra baggage allowance, i.e. 32 kg limit, do miss fastrack security at outstations.
I'm easing myself away from BA due to recent changes but do find it shouldn't make too much difference to me (Not too much Y travel)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by james_yuen
Whilst having a look around and seeing those having achieved GGL (), I've just come out of blue status for the first time at 390tp. However I've been thinking:

- Is it worth doing a TLL (£233) r/t for the 200tp (I've got the last 10tp covered) to reach Silver status and therefore: its benefits? or should I just stick with Bronze

If you don't mind, can you please let me know the details of the TLL for £233. I an in a similar situation but looking to retain Gold and think that sounds like a good pounds to tp ratio. TIA
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
My view of this is that if you can afford to spend the money without becoming destitute then I think you should do it. The significant benefits include lounge access (including a guest), priority boarding, earlier seat selection, fast track security etc. These apply across all OW airlines and not just BA.

I have to say that on the few occasions recently where I have flown with Delta and - shudder - Allegiant that I have really missed all of the perks that come with status.

However, be warned: once you start to climb the greasy pole there'll be no stopping you
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
dnw

Don't forget free seat selection at time of booking instead of 7 days before. Big benefit. I nab the exit row for free on the E190s from City at point of booking every time, that's worth more than lounge access to me. Especially as there isn't one at city :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.