Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
Ah you know the answer, because he is a DKYWIA. Good for you for putting the goof in his place.
Either that or he was an MEP......
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CR
I wonder if baggage preferences are noted on the CSD/CSM iPad, as I'm treated pretty much consistently:

On the bulk of my CE flights (150ish a year), I board late or last, normally on the phone. If there isn't a space above me (typically 1C seat), a member of the crew will take my bag (a laptop or small overnight) and either put it in the wardrobe, or arrange it a above a seat or two back and bring it to me in between landing and disembarkation, I've literally never had any of the aggression on cabin baggage that others seem to have.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by pablol
I wonder if baggage preferences are noted on the CSD/CSM iPad, as I'm treated pretty much consistently:

On the bulk of my CE flights (150ish a year), I board late or last, normally on the phone. If there isn't a space above me (typically 1C seat), a member of the crew will take my bag (a laptop or small overnight) and either put it in the wardrobe, or arrange it a above a seat or two back and bring it to me in between landing and disembarkation, I've literally never had any of the aggression on cabin baggage that others seem to have.
That’s probably because you are not precious and don’t make a fuss, or they simply want to shut the doors at that point!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by MPH1980
I have also spent most of my membership year waiting for a gold to come out with "but I'm gold!" in front of me *just* so I could pull the "so what? I'm GGL/CCR!" response.

And it hasn't happened and I'm extremely disappointed by it.
My experience of such people is that it won't be a gold card holder, it will be either someone in CE or a Bronze card holder. Those are the ones huffing and puffing and pushing to the front of the queue...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I respectfully request this forum’s forgiveness on behalf of my daughter. On arrival at LHR today we quite loudly informed, despite my best efforts to keep her quiet, the cabin crew on leaving the aircraft that this flight has now taken her to silver and that mummy was only a ‘bronze’. She takes great pleasure on looking down on the mere brown card holders.

Rather than inform her that such behaviour was not acceptable, they proceeded to take her to see the captain where she was allowed to sit in the FO seat whilst wearing the Captain’s hat! Such DYKWIA behaviour should not be tolerated. Could the forum please let me know what suitable chastisement should befall her now? (She wants to book more flights so that she can guest mummy into the lounge.)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish
Could the forum please let me know what suitable chastisement should befall her now? (She wants to book more flights so that she can guest mummy into the lounge.)
If you don't mind a divorce and a conviction for child cruelty, book her on a BA code share on Vueling, and she can then melt down when she learns that lounge access is only for GCHs.
madfish and bisonrav like this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Now there’s an idea. But she would probably make me sit outside with her!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
How far do you want to take it? You could tell her that like father Christmas, CWS is not real and there is no Land of Concorde room.

Also, naughty children are sent to fly on Ryanair and are only given scratch cards to eat.
T8191, PJSMITH0, Calchas and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Flying back this weekend and whilst I'd managed to get an upgrade for the 4 of us on the outbound, coming back there were only 2 miles seats I ever saw open up, so my wife and daughter sat in F and my 4yo and I sat in Club.

About an hour after take off he removes his headphones, gestures me to remove my own, and asks (not OTT loudly, but loud enough to make me wince) "Why is Mummy sat in Gold and we have to sit in Silver?".

So whilst not understanding the cabin class naes, he certainly understood they had something better than he did.

Four. Years. Old.

What have I created?
shefgab, T8191, nh1980 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Flying back this weekend and whilst I'd managed to get an upgrade for the 4 of us on the outbound, coming back there were only 2 miles seats I ever saw open up, so my wife and daughter sat in F and my 4yo and I sat in Club.

About an hour after take off he removes his headphones, gestures me to remove my own, and asks (not OTT loudly, but loud enough to make me wince) "Why is Mummy sat in Gold and we have to sit in Silver?".

So whilst not understanding the cabin class naes, he certainly understood they had something better than he did.

Four. Years. Old.

What have I created?
what have you created? A future British Airways FT forum moderator- you ever visit that cesspit?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Had a bag related incident on my flight to BRU last night. At the gate and a few times upon boarding, there were announcements saying it was a full flight, and not all bags will fit etc.

I was among the first to board, put my bag above my seat and settled in. The last few stragglers were boarding and I heard a suited guy ask the guy in the aisle seat if this was his bag. I didn't pay much attention until I saw him holding my bag - I told him it was mine and he said he was just going to move it further back so he could put his bag above his seat.

I wasn't in the mood for any nonsense, so in no uncertain terms and quite assertively told him no and to put it back where he found it.

Going to assume he wasn't used to being told no, especially from a nobody in jeans and t-shirt, as the look he gave was priceless. He did what he was told though, and put his bag in one of the only spare slots about 4 rows back.

Seriously, why did he think he think he had the right to have his bag above his seat, yet I didn't, despite being there first?
I’ve had two issues like that on domestics from LHR to NCL over the years.

The first time, probably around 6 years ago now, a lady was trying to fit her bag in the overheads. She removed my bag and squeezed hers in the locker, but was then extremely shocked to find that she still had a bag in her hand - I.E mine.

She then told the crew that this bag wouldn’t fit in the locker. I then piped up with “it fit perfectly until you removed it a moment ago” before the crew intervened.

The second time, within the last 12 months, I was in 1D on the Friday BA1334. I’d put my bag in the lockers above 1ABC as the first few rows were full as usual, and proceeded to have a little snooze.

Upon landing at NCL, I opened the locker and my bag was nowhere to be seen. I asked the CSD if they had moved my bag when the gent in 1C said “I moved it because it was above my seat and I couldn’t put my bag in”.

It turned out he was one of the last on board, and had moved my bag half way down the plane but couldn’t remember exactly which row.

So I had my own DYKWIA moment and said that until he retrieved it he wasn’t leaving the aircraft as I stood in front of him at the wardrobe

He eventually went and got it from around row 15, and was suitably delayed leaving the plane along with me.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by thepinkponce
The first time, probably around 6 years ago now, a lady was trying to fit her bag in the overheads. She removed my bag and squeezed hers in the locker, but was then extremely shocked to find that she still had a bag in her hand - I.E mine.
A similar thing happened to me a few years back. I was in 1C and was more or less the first to board. The locker above row 1 was full with staff bags (grrr......) so I put my laptop bag above 1D/E/F.

Mr 1F arrives and finds "his" locker full. He notices my laptop bag and removes it, putting on seat 1D. He puts his roll-on in, and sits down in 1F, leaving my bag on the seat.

I leaned over and suggested he put it back where he found it - which he did after huffing and puffing a bit. Of course, in the meantime the other lockers were filling up, so he ended up further down than he would have if he'd just done the proper thing in the first place.

DYKWIA?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not once - but twice ....

Mrs BigRat and I were in the priority queue at AMS recently ... in front of us a family of 4, including two small children. The boarding gate team asked parents with young children to come forward and off they went.

Behind us was a large prioriity queue.

As the family moved forward a ‘gentleman’, who had been hanging around out of the queue, browsing his phone suddenly rushed forward and proffered his boarding pass as I am presenting my bp and passport. And I mean pesenting - its in my hand and being inspected ! I turned and said ‘ There is a queue mate, you should join it’ - he turned to me and snapped ‘ these people queuing have got no idea, its a shambles, chaos’ but at least stepped back so Mrs BR could join me.

Apparently though while I was ‘discussing’ queues with this chap above, behind a Mrs Bouquet type lady had been walking along the priority line saying ‘I’m in the Club ... are you?’ And simply moved down the line until she reached Mrs BR who gave her short shrift ...

We saw Mr Q Jumper get on the plane about 20 people after us - and Mrs The Club board much later ... and wondered if the gate team had held them back - guess we’ll never know. Or whether other passengers had meted our similar comment to ours ...

We havent had to take on two queue adverseries simultaneously before ...😀

Still chuckling over being in The Club ...
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by TheBigRat

Maybe being in "The Club" was a euphemism for being pregnant in which case she'd nearly be entitled to board with a young child. I know it's a stretch but it's the best I could do
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by TheBigRat
Mrs BigRat and I were in the priority queue at AMS recently ... in front of us a family of 4, including two small children. The boarding gate team asked parents with young children to come forward and off they went.

Behind us was a large prioriity queue.

As the family moved forward a ‘gentleman’, who had been hanging around out of the queue, browsing his phone suddenly rushed forward and proffered his boarding pass as I am presenting my bp and passport. And I mean pesenting - its in my hand and being inspected ! I turned and said ‘ There is a queue mate, you should join it’ - he turned to me and snapped ‘ these people queuing have got no idea, its a shambles, chaos’ but at least stepped back so Mrs BR could join me.

Apparently though while I was ‘discussing’ queues with this chap above, behind a Mrs Bouquet type lady had been walking along the priority line saying ‘I’m in the Club ... are you?’ And simply moved down the line until she reached Mrs BR who gave her short shrift ...

We saw Mr Q Jumper get on the plane about 20 people after us - and Mrs The Club board much later ... and wondered if the gate team had held them back - guess we’ll never know. Or whether other passengers had meted our similar comment to ours ...

We havent had to take on two queue adverseries simultaneously before ...😀

If she was flying in club, she should have been boarding before gold, silver and bronzes. The problem is people lining up and blocking access before their group is called.
Tobias-UK and Great_circle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.