DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
have a look at Lufthansa, I am Prof Dr there
Don't the Germans consider appropriating titles you haven't earned a kind of fraud?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
Don't the Germans consider appropriating titles you haven't earned a kind of fraud?
He has earned them. I have seen his certificates from the university of Phoenix which he paid for online
Ziz and PETER01 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
have a look at Lufthansa, I am Prof Dr there
The only one I wouldn't use is 'Dr' in case they need someone for a medical emergency and the only medical experience I have is a few games of Operation.

After watching RuPaul's drag race on Netflix (don't judge my guilty pleasure of watching trash tv on long hauls) I do wonder if being a drag queen allow you to use HM... hahaha
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
The only one I wouldn't use is 'Dr' in case they need someone for a medical emergency and the only medical experience I have is a few games of Operation.
That, in fact, happened to me once
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Originally Posted by brightstar100
I'm not sure whether Premiers used to earn tier points, and whether her flying would have counted towards GfL whilst Premier.
I believe that Premier cardholders did not get a statement of tier points (since they were not the reason for the status) but that there was a 'shadow account' of some sort that did accumulate TPs, so travel accumulated while Premier would have contributed to a LTG card once the Premier card was withdrawn.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA is pretty careful to use the term "medical doctor" as though PhDs/DPhils might get confused.

However, if anyone has any on board laser-plasma physics emergencies, I stand ready to assist.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

^
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
That, in fact, happened to me once
My partner once booked me on a trip and used the 'Dr'. While I don't know any more than I type here, on one of the flights, a crew member came and stood right next to my seat and asked loudly if there was a doctor on board as there was a passenger in need of attention. They might have spotted the 'Dr' on the manifest, or it might have been coincidence. I don't know.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:21 am

"Our navigation systems failed. Is there an astronomer on board?"
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
I have a friend with a PhD. She is actually a rocket scientist and worked at CERN.

She was asked if she could assist during a medical emergency on a flight. When she said she wasn't that sort of Dr, they didn't seem to believe her.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ms.O
"I hope that seat is big enough for you, you fat cow" in a thick German accent. I look up to see a young man in his early 20's giving me the filthiest look.
And they didn't have "Herman ze German" deboard? I would've made sure of that (or at the very least that he would excused himself for such a disgraceful behaviour).

Originally Posted by exmachina
He declines, possibly because he's stuffed every inch of his side storage bins, but fair enough.
He knows that he doesn't want to sit next to his wife. I wouldn't if I were him but then I probably wouldn't have married her in the first place...

Congratulations: http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-sh...e-phd-program/

AFAIK Prof. Dr. refers to a title and not a profession. A doctor [med] is an Arzt/Mediziner in German. LH has a special program where medical doctors can sign up (and get an additional sum of miles per flight).
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by WorldLux
AFAIK Prof. Dr. refers to a title and not a profession. A doctor [med] is an Arzt/Mediziner in German.
Prof. Dr. is a person who holds a PhD and has a permanent teaching position at a university.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
LH has a special program where medical doctors can sign up (and get an additional sum of miles per flight).
TK has something similar too.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:19 am

BA is pretty careful to use the term "medical doctor" as though PhDs/DPhils might get confused.

However, if anyone has any on board laser-plasma physics emergencies, I stand ready to assist.
If you have any on-board laser-plasma emergencies I sincerely hope that I'm not on your plane!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Do they also have Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. on offer?
No, as Profesor Doctor Doctor (if he was German) Paul Krugman humorously mentioned: https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/20...hansa/?mcubz=1
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
to the OP: (I haven't had time to read through all 60+ pages of the post but I get the gist) Directed towards me and my best pal last year when flying Domestic (pre CE on Domestics so a one cabin flight) but on a Mid Haul A321 LHR/EDI during boarding and seated in 3D/F Club World seats ''Guys like them don't have kids to pay for so they can afford to sit up here'' chuckle chuckle. Chuckle chuckle back! BYE!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.