Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Looks like DJ has form (from '87)

It's been a rough week for Joan Collins. First her estranged fourth husband asked for $80,000 a month in alimony and then British Airways bumped her from first class.

The 'Dynasty' star, who once made commercials for British Airways, let loose with some vulgarities at London's Heathrow Airport and called the check-in supervisor an 'old cow' when told that she had lost her $2,163 first-class seat on a Los Angeles-bound flight. 'Miss Collins had booked first class on the flight but she arrived so late that they (the seats) were offered to other passengers on standby,' an airline spokesman said. Collins insists she has taken the same flight at least twice a month for the past six years and that 'I have turned up at exactly the same time, 9:20 a.m., and checked in exactly the same way.' Collins ended up on the flight -- but not in first class -- and says she'll never fly British Airways again.
PUCCI GALORE, T8191, Cymro and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Who is Joan Collins?
I simply refuse to believe that anyone with even the vaguest awareness of the world around them would not know who Joan Collins is.
DYKWIA and Miesque like this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Misco60
I simply refuse to believe that anyone with even the vaguest awareness of the world around them would not know who Joan Collins is.
To be fair, she's not in my social circle either.
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Deleted....
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by sunshinebob; Aug 16, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Apologies if this was posted earlier, I couldn't see on my phone that it had.

I have just just seen a tweet from Dame Joan with a picture of her boarding pass lamenting that not only have BA removed her Premier status, they now no longer use her correct title.

WW and AC don't escape her wrath either

http://twitter.com/Joancollinsdbe/st...89205594017797
sorry, I'll need to run to my laptop to make the link work
I'm confused. There's no F NCE-LHR, so why isn't she on a private jet? Poor luv.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
There is nothin' like a dame...

Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: Entry Level Expert
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I was quite astounded to see 2D comply with a total absence of pugilistic intent
One of the things I like most about this board is the creative phrasing often on show.

The only DYKWIA incident I've seen even remotely recently was last year. On a couple of occasions at NCL I've seen gates appear on the screens just before boarding, resulting in corridor queues at the gate doors, then pass scanned and straight through and onto the plane/bus, rather than have everyone hang around in the gate seating area first.

I was lingering towards the back of my line, when a lady desperately in need of a volume adjustment rather unpleasantly cackled her way into earshot. I turned to investigate the source of said racket, just in time for her to end her phone call with 'I'll call you from Paddington.'

Now at this point I was going to provide her with some fairly useful information regarding said station and it's home city. However, as I went to open my mouth, she proceeded to kick her wheeled carry-on out in front of her, which deployed itself sharply from the extending handle and dropped to the floor with an ominous and entitled thud. Then accelerating forwards with her bag in the hoover position - and waving her phone around in the other hand like it was the winning ticket in a meat draw - she shrieked and rammed her way to the front of the line using words such as 'bronze' and 'priority.'

I lost sight of her and didn't see her again, so never got to see her face when she discovered she'd barged her way to the front of the line for the AF CDG shuttle. But I wish I had.
NWIFlyer, Cymro, Tobias-UK and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:58 pm

I guess this is more of a do you know who you are instead of DYKWIA.

I was on a HAM to LHR flight in seat 1a, the plane was switched out at the last minute and my husband was moved to the second row, while I was left by myself in this giant star trek captain looking seat. I'm a bit of a germaphobe so I was busy cleaning the seat when I hear "I hope that seat is big enough for you, you fat cow" in a thick German accent. I look up to see a young man in his early 20's giving me the filthiest look.

I can't lie it hurt, I am a size 12uk size 8usa due to medication I'm on for my autoimmune disorder. I used to be a size 0-2usa pre-illness so I still have a hard time accepting my new body size and being treated like crap by the general public.

Apparently the flight attendants had heard him, because they treated me like royalty for the entire flight. As soon as I was even half way through my glass of wine they were already giving me a new bottle, finally I had to tell them that I didn't need anymore wine otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk off the plane, so they told me to just put the wine in my purse to drink at my hotel. They were very sweet and had me laughing during the entire flight. A big thank you to these two men, if they hadn't gotten me so drunk I would be able to remember their names to thank them by name.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ms.O

I can't lie it hurt, I am a size 12uk size 8usa due to medication I'm on for my autoimmune disorder. I used to be a size 0-2usa pre-illness so I still have a hard time accepting my new body size and being treated like crap by the general public.
That experience must have been unpleasant for you and I'm glad the crew helped improve the flight experience but I'm really shocked that you have a bad time being a size 12 (uk). That well below the average size here - I'm bigger that the average and don't feel I get treated poorly.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad

I was on a HAM to LHR flight in seat 1a, the plane was switched out at the last minute and my husband was moved to the second row, while I was left by myself in this giant star trek captain looking seat. I'm a bit of a germaphobe so I was busy cleaning the seat when I hear "I hope that seat is big enough for you, you fat cow" in a thick German accent. I look up to see a young man in his early 20's giving me the filthiest look.

Apparently the flight attendants had heard him, because they treated me like royalty for the entire flight. As soon as I was even half way through my glass of wine they were already giving me a new bottle, finally I had to tell them that I didn't need anymore wine otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk off the plane, so they told me to just put the wine in my purse to drink at my hotel. They were very sweet and had me laughing during the entire flight. A big thank you to these two men, if they hadn't gotten me so drunk I would be able to remember their names to thank them by name.
Im amazed at your restraint! I take it your husband didn't hear this and you didn't tell him!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by AlisonB84
That experience must have been unpleasant for you and I'm glad the crew helped improve the flight experience but I'm really shocked that you have a bad time being a size 12 (uk). That well below the average size here - I'm bigger that the average and don't feel I get treated poorly.
I'm short 5"3" so it shows more, plus moon face from the prednisone.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:58 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite

How awful for you. There is always someone who is bitter they didn't get 1A. I would have given them a piece of my mind. Karma has a funny way of coming round to these people.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Im amazed at your restraint! I take it your husband didn't hear this and you didn't tell him!
My husband only heard him grumbling about it not being fair that he had to walk through business class. By the time I got over the shock of what he had said to me, he had already gone down into economy. I did tell my husband, but he is more of a British tutter, i.e. he just tuts instead of saying anything.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

See, I'm seething just reading that. If I'd seen it happen he would have had a right b*llocking, but if it he'd said it to my wife I doubt anyone would have been going anywhere for a while.

ozflygirl747 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did tell my husband, but he is more of a British tutter, i.e. he just tuts instead of saying anything.
It's the way we British men show our love
HuwieHex and PJSMITH0 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.