DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ratypus

Poor guy. I have visions of him laying awake half the night tossing and turning, desperate to know when his 'gold welcome' will be along...de-boarding in LHR exhausted and tearful....but, but....DYKWIA???!!!

Amazing. I hope he frames his 6k e-ticket.
Took him 5 days after the flight to tweet it, must have been chewing him up all week.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Had a wannabe Gordon Gekko at ARN on Wednesday afternoon. Chap was doing laps of the lounge with headphones on and phone held around 30 cm in front of his mouth boasting about the deal he was about to cut and how pleased it was that it was going to really ruin the career of some colleague of his.

He then goes back to check something at his sprawl of jacket/jumper/newspaper/bags taking up about 3 seats before going to get some food at the buffet.

He then takes the food to a separate location to eat while having another boastful (and loud) call with what appeared to be some junior back at the office.

Guy then decides to inform everyone that he needs a smoke and leaves the lounge for the smoking area with all his possessions still strewn all over the seats. I was actually half hoping that someone was going to nick his laptop when he was gone.

Very unpleasant individual.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In the Lounge Etiquette context, there was a guy in the LGW FLounge with his quite nice leather carryon on the floor in frront of his feet in a quite confined space. Every time one of us went to get some food or drink, we had to step over his bloody bag. This scenario persisted for over an hour.

Could he have moved the bag to his side, to clear the path? Of course he could, the seats either side of him were empty.

I kept trying to kick the bag by accident, but failed dismally
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by T8191
In the Lounge Etiquette context, there was a guy in the LGW FLounge with his quite nice leather carryon on the floor in frront of his feet in a quite confined space. Every time one of us went to get some food or drink, we had to step over his bloody bag. This scenario persisted for over an hour.

Could he have moved the bag to his side, to clear the path? Of course he could, the seats either side of him were empty.

I kept trying to kick the bag by accident, but failed dismally
And no-one said "excuse me, could you move your bag"?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by simons1
Society full of beta males these days you know.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by simons1
As a Scot, I'd have not put up with such politeness, I'd have said: "Oi, Spanner, shift it!".
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:37 am

A woman was having a conference call on speaker in the lounge in CPT. She was some way from where we were sitting, and after several minutes people all around were shrugging and rolling their eyes.

Mr W dug into his bag, walked over to her and courteously offered her some spare earphones. Presumably the other party also heard the offer. She looked puzzled, declined brusquely and then gestured him to go away.

As he walked back, several people stopped him to thank him for his efforts.

The call continued, much to many people's obvious irritation.

Funnily enough, it turned out that we boarded immediately behind her. As we ambled down and waited on the jetway she kept her eyes studiously forward. Did she have a conscience after all?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
A woman was having a conference call on speaker in the lounge in CPT. She was some way from where we were sitting, and after several minutes people all around were shrugging and rolling their eyes.

Mr W dug into his bag, walked over to her and courteously offered her some spare earphones. Presumably the other party also heard the offer. She looked puzzled, declined brusquely and then gestured him to go away.

As he walked back, several people stopped him to thank him for his efforts.

The call continued, much to many people's obvious irritation.

Funnily enough, it turned out that we boarded immediately behind her. As we ambled down and waited on the jetway she kept her eyes studiously forward. Did she have a conscience after all?

but talking to tablets, or phones held at a distance, seems to be everywhere - buses, tube, trains. Usually gormless youth: but not always ...

pS headphones would only have cut out the other side's contribution to the conversation.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:18 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
but talking to tablets, or phones held at a distance, seems to be everywhere - buses, tube, trains. Usually gormless youth: but not always ...

pS headphones would only have cut out the other side's contribution to the conversation.

I'm seeing more and more people speaking on the phone in public places with the loudspeaker on. It's an odd setup.

I think the headphones was a hint that she was bothering others, something that didn't bother her. Perhaps someone should have joined in the conversation in the conference call!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
​​​​​​
​​​​​While I didn't check, I'm pretty sure he realised that! Even cutting half the conversation would have been an improvement. And she might have wised up to the nuisance she was causing. Or not, as it turned out.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:34 am

The solution is to sit next to them and talk loudly with your companion or call someone on face time/video/skype and return the favour. That teaches them.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I'm seeing more and more people speaking on the phone in public places with the loudspeaker on. It's an odd setup.

I think the headphones was a hint that she was bothering others, something that didn't bother her. Perhaps someone should have joined in the conversation in the conference call!
I think that's what I'd do.

Oh I'm sorry - I assumed this was a public call.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus
The solution is to sit next to them and talk loudly with your companion or call someone on face time/video/skype and return the favour. That teaches them.
I've found an effective method is to say nothing, but sit reasonably close by visibly taking notes & nodding as if in agreement.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by impeymac
I've found an effective method is to say nothing, but sit reasonably close by visibly taking notes & nodding as if in agreement.
A delightfully passive-aggressive response which I shall immediately adopt
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance