Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
I'm glad you find it amusing! But now you'll explain what the UAE has to do with Qatar?
The FAA does not have jurisdiction over QR flights. Beyond that I really don't see any further need for discussion of it in this thread.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pablol
Karfa - before I left private practice, I was a mere snip at 900 per hour. I was always amazed I was gainfully employed!!
And now we receive your dulcet tones for free.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
That reminds me, A couple of months ago I was sat next to a 'gentleman' on a significantly delayed GVA-LHR, who, during his rant about his missed connection, kept telling the CC repeatedly that he was a "$1500 an hour lawyer" and that he was going to "bill BA for his lost time". We were all suitably impressed.

Totally OT, when I worked for a Big Four I acted as an expert witness on a client's failed SAP project and found that the cheeky buggers, sorry esteemed partners, were charging me out at £1500 an hour! I obviously added a commensurate level of value
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Originally Posted by FatnLoud
That reminds me, A couple of months ago I was sat next to a 'gentleman' on a significantly delayed GVA-LHR, who, during his rant about his missed connection, kept telling the CC repeatedly that he was a "$1500 an hour lawyer" and that he was going to "bill BA for his lost time". We were all suitably impressed.
Surely it should be 'I sat' not 'I was sat' - or even 'I was sitting'? Sorry, can't help myself...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nwmgc
Surely it should be 'I sat' not 'I was sat' - or even 'I was sitting'? Sorry, can't help myself...
Assuming the seat was allocated by the airline and not himself, then, for once! I would say "I was sat" was correct!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I would love to criticise the grammar police, but both SWMBO and I do it.

The problem is, our daughter does it too, and we do not have immunity!!

Last edited by Ancient Observer; Apr 3, 2017 at 8:08 am
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Originally Posted by dpfs
Assuming the seat was allocated by the airline and not himself, then, for once! I would say "I was sat" was correct!
If the airline did so, it could be 'I was seated'. 'BA sat me next to..' would be possible, if somewhat inelegant.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
If the airline did so, it could be 'I was seated'. 'BA sat me next to..' would be possible, if somewhat inelegant.
Usage trumps formality

The non-standard form "I was sat in the room for 15 minutes", seems more common in the north.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by dpfs
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer

The problem is, our daughter does it to, and we do not have immunity!!
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Usage trumps formality

The non-standard form "I was sat in the room for 15 minutes", seems more common in the north.
Ladies and gentlemen, really? This is the DYKWIA topic, in a frequent flyer forum - I know a great place where this discussion would work www.englishforums.com
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Ladies and gentlemen, really? This is the DYKWIA topic, in a frequent flyer forum - I know a great place where this discussion would work www.englishforums.com
But the joy, the serendipitous nature of threads, often leads us astray
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Usage trumps formality

North or south, "I was sitting" is grammatically correct. The only place I have seen or heard "I was sat" is here on FT. As I am not usually the grammar police and the posters here are not my kids, I have given everyone a pass on this one.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Deleted
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer

The problem is, our daughter does it to [sic], and we do not have immunity!!
*too
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'm desperate for a proper DYKWIA story. I have my first First next week so I may well have to have my very own Diva episode. I'm not sure nufnuf77 will approve though
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HilFly
North or south, "I was sitting" is grammatically correct. The only place I have seen or heard "I was sat" is here on FT. As I am not usually the grammar police and the posters here are not my kids, I have given everyone a pass on this one.
Come to Yorkshire: bring your passes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.