Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:40 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Vitriol01
I can perhaps see how sometimes this might be useful. Flew back from RUH on EK the other day (sat in the back unfortunately on this short hop) and was prevented from heading to the immigration queue to get my exit stamp by a gentleman who told me I needed some tags on my hand luggage. Cue me returning to the check in desk begging for a couple of tags, only to have the agent tell me that my small overnighter and rucksack is beyond that which is allowed for carry on as they are over the 8kg allowance (which is never an issue ex-DXB). I did manage to get through with them both without checking (eventually) but only after I pleaded my case as an EK GCH.

I would have avoided all of this if I just had some blue business luggage tags I could have put on my carryon and rucksack...
That's quite funny actually and reminds me of Karachi airport where every other person is seemingly employed to look for bag tags and stamp them! Woe betide you without....
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Beano HK
That's quite funny actually and reminds me of Karachi airport where every other person is seemingly employed to look for bag tags and stamp them! Woe betide you without....
Same in India. The hand baggage tag is stamped as you pass through security, then it is (usually) checked on the jet bridge before you board. This is done for both international and domestic flights.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Beano HK
And the airport police really do go around with canes too.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: TK Elite, BA Gold
1 hour ago at ZRH at the CE checkin. BA 711 is 2ish hours delayed, which my app informed me before coming to the airport and showing on every screen in the airport. There is one lady at the desk getting her transfer rebooked, while I wait patiently in line. In from the left comes a man, with two toddlers in tow. Cutting in front of me and the lady waiting for her rebooking. Yelling/talking loudly to the check in agent: "why didn't You tell me the plane was delayed, answer me... You should have told me before You checked in my bags... I might need stuff from the luggage, why are You lying to me".

I was cringing, but the check in agent was professional, and asked: "Are You afraid of a misconnect in London? Do You have anything important in Your luggage You need?". Of course there was no problem awaiting in LHR, and there was nothing important in the luggage. But angry dad is still fuming, "I'm traveling in Club Europe, and I demand to speak to the supervisor". From the end of the line comes another friendly employee, who looked to be the supervisor. Same questions again: "Transfer in London? Anything important You need in the luggage?". Same answer again, nothing wrong and nothing important. Then I'm up with my oversized bag and my ski bag, and I couldn't hear the rest of the conversation with the supervisor.

No I'm in the uninspiring Aspire lounge, drinking mediocre coffee and eating stale bread. Angry dad is waiting with his toddlers, who is wearing matching Benetton jackets. I had a 5 hour layover in LHR before my ongoing flight to the US which now means my 5 hours in the CCR is down to 3. (I'm on a super cheap ZRH-NA CW ticket if You remember that one, and I managed to UUA to first on both TATL...)
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

This one made me laugh...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Schwann
Ah, that guy... You should take a look at the rest of his profile. From what I could gather, rather than renting a car in London, he bought a Mercedes. Rental cars aren't good enough for him apparently.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
I liked the fact the BA Twitter guy checked various dates!!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Ah, that guy... You should take a look at the rest of his profile. From what I could gather, rather than renting a car in London, he bought a Mercedes. Rental cars aren't good enough for him apparently.
His Twitter profile says enough really:
I'm not very PC & don't tend to get along with those of low intellect. I love great service & am a frequent user of good manners. Often found on a plane.
I'm surprised he doesn't describe himself as "a bit like marmite".
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Poor Shaun I just tweeted him a quote for a private charter, it came in at only 105000 Euro.

Edit Shaun replied, I think he is a decent bloke who values his space and likes quality and I agree with him on that. Like others here he doesn't find what he is after in BA J, really I am just jealous as I wish I could afford to fly in F when I fly long-haul.

Last edited by wytco0; Feb 21, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC - GOLD
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Does SFO777 have a Facebook page?
LOL
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Qantas. British Airways. Emirates.
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
His Twitter profile says enough really:

I'm surprised he doesn't describe himself as "a bit like marmite".
I am definitely a bit like Marmite. I just didn't think of that.

Yes, I did buy a Mercedes for visiting UK as opposed to renting a car. However I was spending a lot of money on rental cars, so I'm actually going to save money in the medium term. (I am a single parent on a fixed income after all)

Shaun @eatstayfly
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The 2017 version of this...?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...o-manners.html
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bronze
I am definitely a bit like Marmite. I just didn't think of that.

Yes, I did buy a Mercedes for visiting UK as opposed to renting a car. However I was spending a lot of money on rental cars, so I'm actually going to save money in the medium term. (I am a single parent on a fixed income after all)

Shaun @eatstayfly
Welcome Bronze, I am assuming your name doesn't reflect your Exec club status
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Qantas. British Airways. Emirates.
Originally Posted by wytco0
Welcome Bronze, I am assuming your name doesn't reflect your Exec club status
That would be a fair assumption.

I'm happy to cop a bit of flak.

I can be a bit polarising, but I don't take things said online to heart. I'd rather a good debate and a good laugh than any type of argument or personal attack.

Shaun @eatstayfly
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
ah, that thread just never gets old

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.