Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Take Emirates F BKK to HKG and BA from there. Added bonus of some time spent in The Pier F at HKG. I would also examine alternatives to BA J closely, and am in no hurry to repeat my recent BKK-LHR return in Club World.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wytco0
Poor Shaun I just tweeted him a quote for a private charter, it came in at only 105000 Euro.

Edit Shaun replied, I think he is a decent bloke who values his space and likes quality and I agree with him on that. Like others here he doesn't find what he is after in BA J, really I am just jealous as I wish I could afford to fly in F when I fly long-haul.
I see a tweet about 10,500 Euro, not 105,000 Euro.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by Bronze
That would be a fair assumption.

I'm happy to cop a bit of flak.

I can be a bit polarising, but I don't take things said online to heart. I'd rather a good debate and a good laugh than any type of argument or personal attack.

Shaun @eatstayfly
You soun like a funny guy - I hope you stick around here occasionally

Oh and it's not only BA website that can be crap for booking stuff.

BA does have a valid fare (one-way) called ANN0O6C0 (return ANN0Y6C0)

1. BKK-3K/CX-SIN-LON
2. BKK-BA/MH/RJ-KUL-LON
3. BKK-CX/HX/RJ-HKG-LON
4. BKK-LON

Then if they sell it on your required dates is a different matter.

Obviously the part to SIN/HKG/KUL will be in C and not F.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL

I can be a bit polarising, but I don't take things said online to heart. I'd rather a good debate and a good laugh than any type of argument or personal attack.

Shaun @eatstayfly
Shaun, I must say I applaud you for being so frank, and for seeing as most do that the forums are for a bit of banter and advice; not a personal assault against anyone. It's actually quite refreshing to see a funny response from the "accused"!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
And that, friends, is the way to ensure everybody gets along on the internet.

Welcome Sir! ^
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold

Shaun @eatstayfly
Welcome Shaun

I think your first post here is a lot more balanced than I'd have made under the same circumstances.

Looking through some of your tweets you don't seem like than the online persona that your Twitter profile text presents. Apologies if any offense was caused.

James
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Gshumway
I see a tweet about 10,500 Euro, not 105,000 Euro.
Yes I made a mistake but corrected it later, actually Shaun's reply to it was my first hint that he is not a special snowflake.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Haha just read that, what a gem.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am definitely a bit like Marmite. I just didn't think of that.
Hello Bronze and welcome to FlyerTalk, in particular may I welcome you to the BA board. I hope you can stick around and contribute.

I do have one question though ...

Only 20 flights? What were you doing the rest of those six weeks?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: Some
If he were really that much of a snob he'd surely be taking TG or a Middle Eastern F anyway...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
To be fair, LHR-BKK should have a First, and it should have decent timings as well... which is why I never fly it.

Much better to go BA31 on the A380 to HKG then change to the CX A350 in J.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Cymro
To be fair, LHR-BKK should have a First, and it should have decent timings as well... which is why I never fly it.

If you were just going about it from a 'these are our flagship routes' perspective possibly, but the BKK market is totally over-saturated with premium cabin capacity already (just do a Google Flights search for LHR-BKK in F and see how many different carriers you are offered) so I understand why they don't.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:23 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
If you were just going about it from a 'these are our flagship routes' perspective possibly, but the BKK market is totally over-saturated with premium cabin capacity already (just do a Google Flights search for LHR-BKK in F and see how many different carriers you are offered) so I understand why they don't.
As a twice a month regular to BKK, I agree that there is over-saturation in the Premium cabins. However, to fly direct to BKK, you have the option of TG (on an A380) or BA. In-direct, you can pretty much fly with any airline imaginable!

The timings into BKK aren't terrible, but the return leg is horrendous for business travellers, and thus F simply wouldn't work.

QR, EK (QF), CX (via HKG), MH (via KUL) and BA (via HKG) are all that much better timed - with the latter three allowing for a long flight opposed to 2 mediums.

M
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Also worth mentioning BA via KUL which gets in around an hour earlier than the BA-CX combo, though I prefer CX for HKG airport, the near-guarantee of enough time for a shower with the longer connection, and the long-haul planes on the route.

I do understand the commercial arguments for not offering F, but LHR-BKK is always going to be a leisure route with the 11 a.m. "lose a day" departure. It's probably too early for an optimum and safe (i.e., delay-proof) transfer from the islands, which is the reason we hear for the timing. More likely it's to do with aircraft utilisation.

If it were timed more like HKG, KUL or SIN, or even if it went a little later in the day to get in at 9 p.m. (which would be roughly a 2-3 p.m. departure from BKK) BA would do better in revenue terms.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:55 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Also worth mentioning BA via KUL which gets in around an hour earlier than the BA-CX combo, though I prefer CX for HKG airport, the near-guarantee of enough time for a shower with the longer connection, and the long-haul planes on the route.

I do understand the commercial arguments for not offering F, but LHR-BKK is always going to be a leisure route with the 11 a.m. "lose a day" departure. It's probably too early for an optimum and safe (i.e., delay-proof) transfer from the islands, which is the reason we hear for the timing. More likely it's to do with aircraft utilisation.

If it were timed more like HKG, KUL or SIN, or even if it went a little later in the day to get in at 9 p.m. (which would be roughly a 2-3 p.m. departure from BKK) BA would do better in revenue terms.
F would sell on BA, if they could get a departure slot out of BKK any time after 9pm. However, doing so would make it one of the earliest arrivals into LHR, and I don't think the airline wants to use up their allocation for those slots on a 'leisure' route.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.