DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Why cant the man just go to economy to talk to his female guest? Why should she come to First? Thats how the rules should be in my opinion.
This is probably a worse situation for more passengers. The Y cabin is bad enough - without First passengers hanging around for a social.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by linzbh
BA188 last night CSD came and said hello and said no weather delay. Very quick flight. To which I replied that's good because I had to rush from Manhattan as our helicopter transfer got cancelled because of freezing rain. Many raised eye brows from other passengers around. Only after did I realise I sounded like a bit of an arse.

Ha, ha -- my helicopter transfer in Nice got cancelled once due to snow delays at LHR (prize win I might add).

But I would never call a nice chap such as yourself an arse !
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Far Siren
I don't think any other airline such as CX, QR, SQ, JL etc would allow such a thing, but I have always been traveling solo in F and never had to ask.. So I'm not sure.
Having once very politely asked cabin crew in Qatar A380 F, before takeoff, if a friend of mine from J could join me for a drink in F, I was told that they don't allow that. Moments later, both of my friends in J wandered up into the cabin, took a brief look around, then we went to the bar instead.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:21 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
While waiting to board my AA flight to DFW this morning, there were people all grouped around the tensa barriers waiting to board.

Most were huddled around the Priority Lane, including one chap who was blocking those trying to get OUT from the tensa barrier area - namely those who had been called to the podiums for a variety of issues.

Anyway, AA call people to board, and announce loudly that it is boarding for First passengers only - of which there are 8.

I start to walk through the huddled group, and I ask the blocking chap to kindly move.

He looks me up and down, and decides I'm not in First and clearly chancing my luck.

The off duty crew member who I had been talking to while queuing, shouts over my shoulder:

'Sir, this passenger is one of our most frequent flyers, and I would ask you to move out of his, and my, way. I am a member of the crew, and this flight will not board until this passenger is on-board. He is in our Flagship First Class Suite cabin, and must board now'.

I turned almost as red as my trainers, yet the shouting meant people parted like she was Moses parting the Red Sea!

M
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
While waiting to board my AA flight to DFW this morning, there were people all grouped around the tensa barriers waiting to board.

Most were huddled around the Priority Lane, including one chap who was blocking those trying to get OUT from the tensa barrier area - namely those who had been called to the podiums for a variety of issues.

Anyway, AA call people to board, and announce loudly that it is boarding for First passengers only - of which there are 8.

I start to walk through the huddled group, and I ask the blocking chap to kindly move.

He looks me up and down, and decides I'm not in First and clearly chancing my luck.

The off duty crew member who I had been talking to while queuing, shouts over my shoulder:

'Sir, this passenger is one of our most frequent flyers, and I would ask you to move out of his, and my, way. I am a member of the crew, and this flight will not board until this passenger is on-board. He is in our Flagship First Class Suite cabin, and must board now'.

I turned almost as red as my trainers, yet the shouting meant people parted like she was Moses parting the Red Sea!

M
^ Hilarious!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:32 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Wembleygal
But I would never call a nice chap such as yourself an arse !
ha! Thanks. Hope to see you again in the CCR or GF soon!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
lol that is awesome!

I wish I had someone who had my back like that when I was boarding AA 107 in T3 a week ago. The gate lice were especially bad that day, with a throng of people forming an immobile obstacle blocking the boarding lanes when they called First and Business passengers. We had forcefully shove those people out of our way when verbal requests weren't sufficient.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:42 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by linzbh
BA188 last night CSD came and said hello and said no weather delay. Very quick flight. To which I replied that's good because I had to rush from Manhattan as our helicopter transfer got cancelled because of freezing rain. Many raised eye brows from other passengers around. Only after did I realise I sounded like a bit of an arse.
^^
tbf, a helo rental/transfer is quite cheap in NYC - surprisingly affordable compared to other places!

Last edited by travelwithross; Jan 9, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:46 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by travelwithross
^^
tbh, a helo rental/transfer is quite cheap in NYC.
well I paid $1090 for the whole helicopter not the $295 test drive as I had luggage and other half. and paid Ł1400 for the CW RTN ticket from LHR to NYC. So kind of glad it got cancelled and refunded
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by chance88088

VLG and VLF decide they need to listen to some music, which they play on his phone for the whole cabin to enjoy.

I would love to grab that phone and send it to blue water land in the loo.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by passy777
But if the F passenger is inconsiderate, and then decides to invite his/her inconsiderate pals up front, then that is a recipe for problems.

Personally, I don't find the 'feature' a good one at all
- many are paying a premium for some peace and quiet and allowing all and sundry to enter the cabin is not conducive to the expected relaxing environment of a First cabin.
+1 I had this on a flight last year. Though it was a day flight I wanted to chill since I had a connection and a further long flight on arrival. A guest appeared and sat in the buddy seat over the aisle and proceeded to talk in a very loud voice about whatever business they were in. Fortunately as I was just about to blow a fuse the excellent CSD appeared and gently shooed him back to when he came from.

Result but should not happen in the first place!

PS Ha, just realised it is also true that I mean it 'should not happen in the First place' !
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I feel a dykwia moment coming on. As a proud member of the blue minority on this section of FT, I think you should all defer to me for my blueness. "is it cos I 's blue?"
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I feel a dykwia moment coming on. As a proud member of the blue minority on this section of FT, I think you should all defer to me for my blueness. "is it cos I 's blue?"
I'm sure we all value our Blue members highly. After all, if they didn't exist, our Priority queues wouldn't be nearly as much fun
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
We were all blue once and may well be again.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm Blue on all the best programs. One day I hope to graduate from blue to a subtle shade of aquamarine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.